90% decided on a K95, but what calibre?

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

deeangeo

Re: 90% decided on a K95, but what calibre?

Post by deeangeo »

I can't recall the inside of my buttstock properly Robert, it's a while since I last took a look.
I only removed it then because the stock had worked loose from the action around three years ago, but it had seen ten years service by then.
I suppose I should have checked in there each year, but since there'd not been cause to worry about the condition of the action, I hadn't bothered.
When I did open it up I was pleasantly assured, no issues present at all, simply the stock retaining bolt had worked loose. I gave everything a good squirt of cleaner, let it evaporate, then a dose of light oil around the bits that matter and reassembled. Haven't looked in there since .. but we're now fast coming up on stags in Scotland and I just checked the zero this morning.
The old gal shoots 1/4" MOA @'100yds all day long, so I'm not touching anything now until mid Feb. 2018 then another inside check.

I've never worried about multiple shots with my K95, I just sorted out my own technique for speedy reloading & see that mchughcb uses the same method. Works for me and I've never lost a beastie, though I had to follow a calf a good while once, that ran with a parcel of hinds after I shot it's mother.
I could have done without that, but I found it and shot it during a snow storm. Took me nearly an hour.
Cheers, d
Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. 8x56 Zeiss, 110gn Accubond = Game over! :clap:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Blasernovice wrote:I ran the numbers and the 7x65R will recoil a little bit less than the 7mm mag R93. That wasn't too bad so a kickstop won't be necessary.
I ended up going for a secondhand Leupold Vx6 2-12x42 as the scope (couldn't get the funds together for the Swarovski).
I've got 100 Norma brass, just waiting on the dies, but they'll be here before the rifle turns up.
To me the VX6 is noticeably better optically than the Z3, so you should be happy there, despite the VX 6 being a little heavier and a little bulkier than the Z3.

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Dies and scope turned up today, just waiting, waiting, waiting for the K95 now.

deeangeo

Post by deeangeo »

Ah I feel your pain. it's a long wait, but a delight when it ends.
Is your brass new or once fired stuff?
Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. 8x56 Zeiss, 110gn Accubond = Game over! :clap:

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

100 new Norma. 7x65R is pretty uncommon in NZ. Luckily there was some in stock.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Might have been sitting around for a while.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

deeangeo

Post by deeangeo »

Norma is good brass, worth looking after once it's been through your new rifle. Good luck with it. Cheers, d

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Yep, at least it won't be ejected out into the scrub in the heat of the moment!

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Norma is good brass, it doesn't have the reputation that Lapua enjoys but it is probably the best you are going to get in 7X65R.

Oddly, the reputation that Lapua built was based largely upon the 6mm PPC in benchrest circles when Lapua used a different alloy, C2800, changing to C2400 in 2010. C2400 is also what Norma uses along with Remington and Federal. Winchester and S&B both use C2600 which is slightly harder because of higher zinc content.

In testing Lapua brass compared to Norma in my McMillan Tubb 2,000 6XC I can detect no difference in accuracy between the two cases, both will deliver 1/2 MOA accuracy at 600 yards and both have won US national High Power Rifle matches. Probably more than you wanted to know about norma brass, but it is good stuff.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I doubt that any brand of brass will make any difference to hunting ammunition.
On a side note does that mean that Remington Federal and Winchester brass is just as good as Lapua?
If so I've been wasting money on Lapua brass.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

SPEEDY wrote:I doubt that any brand of brass will make any difference to hunting ammunition.
On a side note does that mean that Remington Federal and Winchester brass is just as good as Lapua?
If so I've been wasting money on Lapua brass.
No, it just means they use the same class of raw materials. It doesn't mean they practice the same levels of manufacturing and quality control.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I didn't think so :lol:

My Lapua brass definitely has a much better look at feel then my other brands of brass, and always feels much more consistent to when full length sizing in the press.

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Fingers crossed my rifle came out of production last week or this week. Then it just has to get to NZ and to me! Hopefully I get two Christmases this year!

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Nearly here! Made it to NZ just before chrstmas, but didn't get out of customs in time. It is with Stager Sport now and I should get it on Sunday. I have planned to take my daughter hunting for her first deer on Thursday and Friday so I might have to carry two rifles. See if we can make it two firsts!

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Good for you, hope it tickles you pink, I know my K95 is the most joyful rifle I own.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”