90% decided on a K95, but what calibre?

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Blasernovice

90% decided on a K95, but what calibre?

Post by Blasernovice »

I'm 90% decided to sell my R93 and get a K95. I'd originally decided to get a 7x57R bit there are no dies in NZ, brass is avaliable though. I'm thinking 6.5x55 might be a good choice, plenty of supplies in NZ.
Would be used on red deer, chamois possibly tahr.
Any advice?

SPEEDY

Re: 90% decided on a K95, but what calibre?

Post by SPEEDY »

I love the Swede but I'd still go the 7x57R it just suits a break action so well IMO.
Dies can be ordered from overseas very easily.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

308 win

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

100% decided now! Sold my R93 in less than 1 hour.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I'm a big fan of the 6.5X55 or if you must have a rim then the 6.5X57R. I have a 6.5X55 barrel for my K95 and it shoots really well, In fact it is probably one of my favorite rifles. The Swede is more than adequate for any animal that walks the face of the earth in my personal opinion. But that is true only if you are a disciplined hunter that can wait for the opportunity for optimum shot placement and pass all others. Not everyone is that disciplined and not everyone who thinks they are that disciplined, are in fact so.
I recently ordered a K95 Stutzen and was faced with the same question as you. Some of the hunts in which I participate, the 7mm is the minimum legal bore diameter. I was really attracted to the 7X57R but in the US it is a no go for ammunition. For that reason, I went with the .308 Win. It is a caliber that I find boring, not exciting in any way, but I can't argue that it is not effective, it is. Ammunition and components for the 308 are among the most plentiful in the world. It matters not that you are in South Africa, the EU, Canada, or the US, 308 Winchester is abundant. I assume the same is true for NZ. I'm a handloader, so the lack of 7X57R ammunition is surmountable. However, I'm in the process of downsizing, I currently load for 41 calibers and would like that to be only 3-5, so the 7X57R just doesn't fit my plans. To me for my given situation the .308 is the sensible choice.
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I use redding 7x57 dies for the 7x57R for years.

O4ak95

Post by O4ak95 »

Hi Stu,
Are you hung up on getting a rimmed cartridge ?

Do you see yourself adding another barrel down the line?

What are you already set up for in the way of reloading?

I don't think you can go wrong with anything between the 6.5x55 and a 7mm mag.
It makes sense to use what kit you already have and what is available locally.
We sometimes swear black and blue that we wouldn't sell a particular rifle but it often happens. If it's chambered in an uncommon round for this part of the world it will be bloody hard to move on.

Looking forward to hearing what you decide on.

Tim

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

If it should be an all-around cartridge I would take the 7x65R . Second choice the 7x57R.
If You need a dies, You could contact me.
life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.com

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

7x65R in a heartbeat for all deer.
Cases are manufactured by every European manufacturer cheap and expensive.
Performance is very impressive with heavy projectiles with very high sectional density and ballistic coefficients.
I have never been to NZ but I would imagine some hunting oportunities in the mountains would present longer shots.
This is where the 7x65R shines.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

+1 for 7x65R
All for one and 9.3 for all
https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Actually, can you get a hold of a 270wby mag barrel? I found it amazingly flat shooting so great for those high country rugged mountain hunts, it's hard hitting for the game you mentioned and very accurate.
Although I still like the idea at least of rimmed rounds I'm still impressed with the 270wby and think it's the ultimate flat shooting game getter with very modest recoil.

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

7x65R is a very rare calibre in NZ, one store has Norma brass NZ$265 per 100. No dies either. 7x57R brass is $175 per 100, will need to get dies.
I think a magnum in the K95 will recoil a bit much for me. I live in the South Island and most of my hunting is red deer on the tops. Most shots are under 400 yds, so a 7x57R or 6.5x55 will be fine for those ranges.
I have sent an email saying I want a 7x57R, but am starting to lean towards the 6.5x55 as it is much more common in NZ. With a 147 eld it would be great out to 400yds.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'd never knock back a 6.5 let alone a Swede, great round and which I'm very fond of.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Unless you are a keen handloader, I would not go 6.5x55 without checking out factory ammo availability in NZ. The US loaded stuff that I have seen in NZ is Pox with a capital P as regards the anaemic velocities that it is loaded to. There may be better loadings that I haven't seen there. There is a Norma importer in NZ, and Norma 6.5 x 55 ammo is more realistically loaded, but the price may be a killer, and the importer may not bring it in. If you are going to use factory ammo, I would much prefer the 308.

7x65R is rapidly overtaking 7x57R in popularity. If you go down the R path, suck it up and get the 7x65R. Everything you need is easily available, but it might take a little waiting to get the bits organised.

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Yep I'm a relaoder, haven't bought factory ammo for decades. There is a lot of love for the 7x65R, I don't know much about it, and you don't here about it in NZ.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”