BD14 Scope Choice

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

stokesrj

Re: BD14 Scope Choice

Post by stokesrj »

9.3x64 wrote:Thankyou guys.
So many good options.
I am used to using a shotgun without a scope and I really like the shallow V sight on the BD14.
I guess the only way to find out is to use it in the field first.
I will be interested in what you find in your field test, I'm not typical, so you will probably find differently than me but I found that I shoot the aimpoint much better on moving game than the shallow v on my BD14. I believe this is simply because the stock is set up for use with a scope and places my eye to far above the line of the metallic sights when mounted quickly as in a flushing bird. Also I have no problem shooting even a 12X scope with both eyes open. So I didn't have any trouble shooting trap with any of the scopes I've mounted on my BD14 even the 3-12 works nicely. But move that to skeet and there is a totally different finding. The aimpoint is the only one I could break high percentage birds with.
Dove season opens in Arizona in just two weeks, I'm going there to hunt with my son Bobby. We will be flying into some remote flyways with a small plane so should be some good shooting without interference from others. I haven't decided if I will take with my F3 or BD14 if I take the latter, I'll let you know what I find.
Robert J Stokes

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

I like the 2,5-10x scopes - I now have three of them - I also have a leather tube case from Frankonia so I can carry such scopes I the field off the rifle.

If the sights / rib / what have you on a combo lines up for you without a scope so you can hit clays without a 1x scope / aim point etc then just use the scope for stationary game.
For sitting rabbits on the walk back to the truck I'm happy to use the 12g sighted via a 6x42 on my old combo.

I do predict that the lack of votes for the S&B 4x is due to wishful thinking on behalf of those wanting such a discontinued scope to appear in the classifieds for mating to a coveted German .22 :shifty: :whistle:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote:
I do predict that the lack of votes for the S&B 4x is due to wishful thinking on behalf of those wanting such a discontinued scope to appear in the classifieds for mating to a coveted German .22 :shifty: :whistle:
It is a sweet little scope.
I cannot believe fixed power scopes of small proportions are now out of favour.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

stokesrj wrote:
9.3x64 wrote:Thankyou guys.
So many good options.
I am used to using a shotgun without a scope and I really like the shallow V sight on the BD14.
I guess the only way to find out is to use it in the field first.
I will be interested in what you find in your field test, I'm not typical, so you will probably find differently than me but I found that I shoot the aimpoint much better on moving game than the shallow v on my BD14. I believe this is simply because the stock is set up for use with a scope and places my eye to far above the line of the metallic sights when mounted quickly as in a flushing bird. Also I have no problem shooting even a 12X scope with both eyes open. So I didn't have any trouble shooting trap with any of the scopes I've mounted on my BD14 even the 3-12 works nicely. But move that to skeet and there is a totally different finding. The aimpoint is the only one I could break high percentage birds with.
Dove season opens in Arizona in just two weeks, I'm going there to hunt with my son Bobby. We will be flying into some remote flyways with a small plane so should be some good shooting without interference from others. I haven't decided if I will take with my F3 or BD14 if I take the latter, I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks Bob. I will appreciate the feedback

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

Tasco world class 3-9x40. :handgestures-thumbup:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Hey Bob any chance of some go pro action of the action no matter what the scope choice.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

:think: I'm planning on it.
Robert J Stokes

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

9.3x64 wrote:[q
Hi Klaus,
I was super impressed with your Z8i last Friday, very impressive scope.
That K95 of yours was a sweet little thing too... :dance:
Thanks Allan,

yep - I will let You know when my K95 got that "small" Z8i 1,7-13,3x42 on top... I hope to be able to afford it this autumn... :whistle:

BTW: Nice that You made all the long way from Australia, just to visit Titanium Gunworks... LOL

Have a good time,
Klaus
life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.com

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

I would put a lower powered Z8i on it, they're a great scope. Regardless of what scope you go with I would also get a Aimpoint Micro or a Docter red dot with a single point QD mount like the Innomount Reflectance sold on Klaus' website. One of the nice things about that setup is you can put the red dot in your pocket or pack when not in use.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

On my BBF97 barrels .22hornet12Ga , .222/9.3x74R ,and .308/12Ga I have Zeiss 2.5-10x. I am very happy with this setup. I started with the .30812Ga with a Zeiss 1.5-6x but learned no difference on the low end for shotgun use big difference on the top end for rifle use. For me the 2.5-10 is perfect and does it all on my combo guns. Good luck!

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

dchamp wrote:I would put a lower powered Z8i on it, they're a great scope. Regardless of what scope you go with I would also get a Aimpoint Micro or a Docter red dot with a single point QD mount like the Innomount Reflectance sold on Klaus' website. One of the nice things about that setup is you can put the red dot in your pocket or pack when not in use.
Yes that's one of the great things about the little Docter, straight in the top pocket.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”