22 Hornet Loads for a BD14

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

22 Hornet Loads for a BD14

Post by 9.3x64 »

As some may be aware I recently ordered a BD14 in 7x65R and 22 Hornet.
I have plenty of good loads for the 7x64 / 7x65R.
The reason I choose the Hornet was for its low report, and the fact it was my late fathers favorite cartridge.
He swore by the Hornets good virtues, especially not making too much noise so you could continue hunting an area after taking a shot.
However I have absolutely no experience with the Hornet. Nothing.
I have read as many posts as possible on this forum to get a start on gathering information.
Dom and Bob seem to have good results with 35 grain Hornady VMax bullets and Lilgun powder.
I know Corjack already has a BD14 in 22 Hornet but I can only see posts useing factory ammunition so far.
Have you done any testing of handloads in your BD14 22 Hornet barrel yet Ron?
I plan to buy 100 RWS cases and they will probably last forever.
Can anyone suggest a accurate and reliable load in the above combination or recommend another accurate combination?
I was thinking of loading 45 grain Sierra soft points as I would like the ability to take a small pig under 50 metres without too much noise, or would the Hornady 35 grain VMax bullets still be ok for this?

I would appreciate any tips on loading for the Hornet like COAL, primer selection, or any other things peculiar to the little Hornet.
Thankyou Allan
Last edited by 9.3x64 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Vaughan

Re: 22 Hornet Loads for a BD14

Post by Vaughan »

I haven't reloaded for the 22 Hornet for almost 40 years, so I can't help you there. I can say you have chosen a fabulous little round. One of my brothers still has my old Savage and it still goes bang. I think it is Bob who has the 22 Hornet K95. That would be lovely. I hope you get some joy from yours!
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I haven't had a hornet or K hornet since I was young fella but I did learn on things early on about that great little round.
Each gun is a law unto itself :lol:

Their is no consist load or projectile that works in every gun, it's a fussy fussy little thing and it will take a lot of trial and error to find a combination that works in your gun.
But it will be well worth it when it does.
I'd get a box of various 45gn-50gn pills and any fast powder you have on hand, maybe invest in some "lil gun" and try the ADI loads from half way to maximum and see what shoots.
When you find a winner, don't ever change a thing :pray:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

AHN had some mention of cheap accurate Hornet factory ammo, maybe Highland/PP ? IIRC 50c a round and excellent accuracy for more than one user.

For me that would be very attractive compared to handloading the fiddly little things. If it shot for me, I'd buy a case and forget it.

Excessexpress

Post by Excessexpress »

Not currently a hornet user, but from memory, replicating factory loads is probably the objective. The one I had access to, a Walter KKJ, didn't like much in the way of pressure.

I doubt that 35gr V-max will do pigs at all well, the 55gr might be a touch heavy to stabilise. Mind you, I'd be giving them a try!

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I just used the bog standard 40gr SP sierra hornet projectiles and 2205 in my brno K hornet for many years. Shot many goats with it. Worked okay. Accuracy was nothing to write home about but the barrel had 2" of rifling missing so that probably had something to do with it. Was always limited in projectile weight due to the magazine length. Shouldn't be an issue with the BD14.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I liked the Winchester 40gn bulk bag pills that they use in the 22mag.
They cost nothing and in the K hornet were deadly Fox medicine at 200m, cleaned up a lot of crows around the farm as well.

They might be the perfect pill for this gun actually, they will be accurate to the range the hornet will be match to the 7x65R's zero will allow, be great for varmints and will do a smallish pig with a neck or heart shot at 50m.
They will do the last better then a Vmax and as said before the 55s more then likely won't stabilize.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I decided when I got my BD14 that I was only going to shoot factory ammo in it, as it will not be a high volume shooter. Tried Hornady 35 grain ammo, and it shot well, but the regular 45 grain ammo shoots dime to nickel size groups when the wind is not blowing so I went with it. I believe that Stokes rifle preferred the 35 grain ammo. I was just not going to shoot it enough to justify reloading.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

It used to be true that the Hornet was a fussy round ibut that all changed about a dozen years ago when Hodgdon introduced Li'l Gun Powder. Almost everyone reports fantastic accuracy in the range of 13 grains and 35-45 grain bullets. My K95 loves the 40 grain V-Max bullet with this powder. It also likes the 45 grain Hornady spire point which is a much tougher bullet and more appropriate for larger animals. Many people report superior accuracy when using small pistol primers but I find them the same as small rifle primers in my K95.
I've killed a lot of small deer and antelope with the standard Winchester 45 grain soft Point and found it to act mutch like a 170 grain Remington Corlok in the 30-30. It isn't as accurate as some others but still Sub MOA in my K95 at around 2600 fps.
Robert J Stokes

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Thankyou everyone, lots of good advice as usual.
Looks like I will start with a conventional 45 gr hornet soft point bullet, Li'l Gun powder, small rifle primers, and work up to 13 grains.
I am really looking forward to owning a hornet at last.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

secondtry wrote:AHN had some mention of cheap accurate Hornet factory ammo, maybe Highland/PP ? IIRC 50c a round and excellent accuracy for more than one user.

For me that would be very attractive compared to handloading the fiddly little things. If it shot for me, I'd buy a case and forget it.
Hi mate, have you got a link or subject title please?

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

9.3x64 wrote:
secondtry wrote:AHN had some mention of cheap accurate Hornet factory ammo, maybe Highland/PP ? IIRC 50c a round and excellent accuracy for more than one user.

Hi mate, have you got a link or subject title please?
I'll have a surf around and see if I can find it for you.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Here you go.

http://www.australianhunting.net/index. ... msg3294651

You will have to wade through it to find the Hornet references. That's OK because I had to trawl through digital reams of manure to find the thread :lol:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

secondtry wrote:Here you go.

http://www.australianhunting.net/index. ... msg3294651

You will have to wade through it to find the Hornet references. That's OK because I had to trawl through digital reams of manure to find the thread :lol:
Ha!
And I bet that their was plenty of it... :lol: :lol:

Thankyou

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Has anyone had any expirience or opinions loading and shooting the Nosler 40 grain Ballistic Tip in the 22 Hornet?

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”