K 95 Stutzen Calibre

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

stokesrj

Re: K 95 Stutzen Calibre

Post by stokesrj »

MM wrote:Bob,have you decided on a scope for your .308 yet?
Yes, I already have it, a Z8i 1.7-13.3X42 rail mount with the flex reticle because that's the only one I could get, but I also like it pretty well. I just shot two roe deer today with a 9.3X62 and Zeiss V8 2.8-20X56. It did a really great job but it is on a Professional Success and goes well with the bigger rifle. I wanted a smaller scope to go better with the petite little rifle.
Robert J Stokes

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Thanks for the thoughts and the frivolity people.

I think on this occasion, practicality will decide. I will leave Bob's "dark ages" of rims in a kipplauf and dabble in the dark side of rimless in a kipplauf. :lol:

Given that this rifle is for pleasure and for casual hunting (if there is such a thing :lol: ) 308 simply makes too much sense. Even 125s over 2207/4198 would make a very pleasant to shoot and effective small deer and stuff load in the short barrel. Hopefully 165s will make 2550, maybe 2600. 180s probably too slow for my taste.

So it will be 308. :D

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I find the 125gn SST a great fallow bullet, how short is the barrel I get 2800fps from my match barrel with the 168gn Zmax.

I have decided that if I ever buy a K95 then it will be in 270WBY for the perfect light weight rifle.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Yes Iain. I believe Bob's on the money. I've never shot a sambar with a 308, but seen plenty die from one though.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

SPEEDY wrote:I find the 125gn SST a great fallow bullet, how short is the barrel I get 2800fps from my match barrel with the 168gn Zmax.

I have decided that if I ever buy a K95 then it will be in 270WBY for the perfect light weight rifle.
Stutzen barells are 50cm -19.7". Can't see 2800 coming up with any sane 165 load. We have used the 125 30cal Ballistic Tip at around 2800 very successfully on fallow, but haven't used it on a big buck.

270 WBY ? Not for me :lol:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

There is a spare k95 270 wbm barrel at mialls but it aint for me.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

secondtry wrote: Stutzen barells are 50cm -19.7". Can't see 2800 coming up with any sane 165 load. We have used the 125 30cal Ballistic Tip at around 2800 very successfully on fallow, but haven't used it on a big buck.
The match barrel is 23" but the load I use should only achieve 2700fps according to the ADI manual, but over the crony it shows 2800fps.
I've only clocked it up at Darwin and don't know if the heat and lack of humidity in the dry season made it a bit faster, but I plan on clocking it again down here to see if anything changes or if its just this barrel.
But from that 19.7" tube it should if all things are equal get 2650fps maybe a tad more, it can be pretty tricky to estimate some times.
But thats with 43gn of Benchmark 8208, and thats .3gn under the max that should get 2707fps from a 24" tube.
I do wonder if the 1:10" twist makes a difference from ADI's 1:12" twist?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I've seen a batch of identical barrels consecutively serial numbered come of of Krieger's line produce up to 200 fps difference between the slowest and fastest using the same load. All were the same chambering, same length same twist. So I would not expect any predictive software to be accurate within 100 fps it isn't possible.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Im going to be interested in seeing what my 308win standard barrel can do with the same load.
Actually I will also be keen to see if the federal brass I bought for normal hunting has a different velocity from the lapua brass I use in the match barrel.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Fitting a magneto chrony to a stutzen will be an exercise I do not wish to participate in.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Just cut off a bit of excess wood :lol:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

SPEEDY wrote:Just cut off a bit of excess wood :lol:
I'll just stick to my old school (and old :lol: ) Chrony.

Dinger

Post by Dinger »

Fitting a magneto chrony to a stutzen will be an exercise I do not wish to participate in.
Fit it upside down, or cocked left or right if it obscures your target....pretty sure it doesn't care which way up it is.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've seen a new one that I want to buy, its a shock wave operated one, it works by mesuring the sonic crack or something.
It doesn't need light to work, is 99% accurate and its only downside is it doesn't work on subsonic speeds as it needs the sonic crack to work.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

So Iain have we put down a deposit yet?

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”