Kipplauf hunting

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Blasernovice

Re: Kipplauf hunting

Post by Blasernovice »

Hit the 100th video in the playlist. Been fun trying to find them.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Uploading another just now.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Cheers, added.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

5ADCD973-E2B7-4A6A-A7EF-2AF240973F17.jpeg
I just returned from my hunting trip to Wyoming and Montana with my new K95. I started in Wyoming south of Gillette with a hunt for antelope. This area has A LOT of them but is not known for huge trophies but it has some decent bucks. After seeing literally hundreds of antelope late afternoon we spotted a nice buck much bigger than anything else we had seen so far but we had to wait about an hour for it to move to a spot we could stalk it. There is not a lot of cover in this area and he was in a spot that was open with not much in terrain features and my only chance came at 325 yards. I was on one small hill and he was on another and slightly above me and I had to shoot kneeling off shooting sticks. I would have preferred prone but it was not possible. Just as I shot the buck started moving forward and I hit him a little low and back and it ran a few yards and stopped by then I had reloaded and I totally blew that shot and missed low. I reloaded again and held high on the shoulder and hit him low in the brisket and through both legs so I reloaded again and held high on the shoulder again and hit him within an inch of the previous shot. He went down and when we walked up to him he lifted his head and I was shocked so I had to shoot him in the neck to finish him. This was not my best shooting but I point it out because you can reload a kipplauf with rimless cartridges (30-06)quickly with practice. I sighted in at home to hit 2” high at 100 yards and verified my zero when we arrived and it was still on. I should have been hitting about 6-7 inches low at that range but all my hits were about 12” low so I went back to their range and shot at 300 yards and I was dead on for elevation and 6” left but there was a very strong crosswind. I can’t explain any of this but I have to get access to a range that I can shoot out to 500 yards. Next stop Montana.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

83C44775-D27D-43FF-9E55-8D291D072DD6.jpeg
CB6127EC-B27B-4D16-A102-17BBBA6F74C5.jpeg
Up in Montana I was glassing for deer and it was getting on towards dusk and about 800 plus yards away I spotted something and after a minute or so I realized it was a fox out mousing in a pasture. I got out my game call and set up next to a hay bail and started calling. He immediately started coming in and it was pretty cool to see it work in to the call from that distance. I wish I had my 222 barrel with me but the 30-06 would have to do. At 112 yards I dropped the hammer on him. The 165 partition did a number on him and he was drt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

A43F4462-AF34-4F18-B69C-E8642F153022.jpeg
The next day I had a little down time in the middle of the day so I put the 222 barrel on and decided to take a walk in the river bottom to see what I could scare up. I kicked a rabbit out of some brush and he ran about 30 yards and stopped . The Barnes 45tsx bullet expanded and I lost one of the front legs but the legs and back meat grilled up real good with some antelope blackstrap for dinner.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

C6582039-84ED-4769-8949-5E7B1A3AAFB9.jpeg
The deer hunting was tough this year with not as many deer overall versus last year and definitely not as many bucks in the size/age class I wanted to go after. I had been looking up in the hills and breaks up to this point so on the morning of the fourth day I sat along the cliffs of the river hoping something would come through. After 3 hours of no real action I glassed some turkeys off a distance and decided to stalk in on them. Again I wish I had my 222 barrel on instead of the 30-06 but I decided to go after them anyway. I got to 112 yards and laid down prone and watched them below me. I picked out the biggest and aimed at the base of its neck and shot. I hit it right where I was aiming and it was dead on the spot.

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Nice shooting, a real mixed bag there.

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

Great trip by the sounds of it, well done

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

1202BC14-69D0-4097-8F8D-99221BC4AB33.jpeg
8763315B-26B2-4343-9618-9D57778D1B90.jpeg
Late afternoon on the second to last day of my hunt I finally spotted a buck I wanted to go after. I tried to put on quick stalk but he gave me the slip and was gone. The next morning I was out in the same area looking for him and I saw him with three smaller bucks about 600 yards away, but unfortunately they saw me and took off running for the hills and breaks and draws. It took almost all day but about 3:00 in the afternoon I spotted one of the smaller bucks up feeding and stalked then belly crawled over a hill and had him at 292 yards. I had to lay there about an hour before he stood up from his bed and turn broadside to me. I held high on his shoulder and shot and that is exactly where I hit him and he went down. The partition bullet went through both shoulders and broke his spine. The bullet was a pass through but appears to have expanded. He was an old buck and by far the biggest oldest buck I saw on this trip. My takeaways are:
1. Kipplauf hunting is the best
2. I love my K95
3. I need to practice shooting at various distances because my experiences this year are not matching the ballistic charts.
4. I love my K95

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Next weekend I am heading to Kentucky to whitetail hunt with my K95 of course.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Fantastic stuff.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Deer, antelope, foxes, rabbits.

Seems like you are a candidate for a BD14 ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Good hunting there MM, but I must agree, the K95 is real nice but a BD14 will give you the choice of big or small rifle.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”