Kipplauf hunting

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Blasernovice

Kipplauf hunting

Post by Blasernovice »

My K95 is getting closer to turning up, meanwhile I've been prowling youtube looking for videos of kipplaufs. I've put together a bit of a playlist.
Let me know if you have any others I can ad

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... WPTaZfwWdc

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: Kipplauf hunting

Post by 9.3x64 »

That's a good idea. Thankyou.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Left one out.
https://youtu.be/gCpb86sKdpM?t=87

Am I the only person to post actual hunting videos of a Blaser K95 Stutzen on Youtube?

I await Tim, Bob, Iain and other blaserbuds to join me without the stupid music that seem to accompany these videos :lol:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Yes very good, I've seen all most all of these, doing probably the same thing your are, obsessing about Kipplaufs. But it never dawned on me to make a play list, well done.
Robert J Stokes

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Blasernovice wrote:My K95 is getting closer to turning up, meanwhile I've been prowling youtube looking for videos of kipplaufs. I've put together a bit of a playlist.
Let me know if you have any others I can ad

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... WPTaZfwWdc
Man -you've got it bad. I can't see the symptoms easing significantly with only one K95 :lol: :lol:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

At last -video evidence that, even with a well practiced operator,getting a rimless case out of a K95 is nowhere near as smooth, easy, and fast as a rimmed case. Thank you Charles.

Sorry, but I couldn't find a pot stirring smiley. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

You should see my video of trying to get two 375H&H cases out of a S2 Safari rapid fire. Stupid cartridge selection for that rifle.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

secondtry wrote:At last -video evidence that, even with a well practiced operator,getting a rimless case out of a K95 is nowhere near as smooth, easy, and fast as a rimmed case. Thank you Charles.
Does that mean that my belief that break actions deserve rimmed rounds actually holds some water. :lol:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

mchughcb wrote:Left one out.

Am I the only person to post actual hunting videos of a Blaser K95 Stutzen on Youtube?

I await Tim, Bob, Iain and other blaserbuds to join me without the stupid music that seem to accompany these videos :lol:
Cheers, added it in.
Yeh the music that Waffenland TV uses isn't really my choice.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Last hundred times I hunted was not accompanied by heavy metal or orchestra. I did add a jig to one video last year and people got upset it didn't go for 15 minutes. Sheesh!

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Blasernovice wrote:
mchughcb wrote:Left one out.

Cheers, added it in.
Yeh the music that Waffenland TV uses isn't really my choice.
I might see if I can add some stalking video's later of sambar with the my K95 before the end of the year but can't promise anything. Self filmed stalking hunts are a nightmare to pull off.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I liked some of the valid points made in the clips for using a Kipplauf, or single shot.
Its enough to convince me to try one and see for myself.

I keep realizing that I only ever pull the trigger once when hunting Deer. Goats and pigs I tend to pump a few rounds into mobs of them, but deer are only ever a kill or a miss, but never a second shot.

Don't think that I would jump straight into a K95 1st, I might get something cheap as a test piece to see if I'm right, then buy a K95 when I'm sure.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I've been using both rimmed and rimless calibers in the K95 for quite some time, 22 Hornet and 6.5X55. I can't really see any advantage in the rimmed calibers for this design, I have no more difficulty with the rimless extraction than I do with the rimmed calibers extraction, gloved or ungloved hands. So stir away, getting a rimmed caliber for nostalgia is as good a reason as any, I think it is great if that's what you want to do.

For me nostalgia really just doesn't matter because the rimmed calibers are so very difficult to find in the US and that limited supply makes rimmed calibers a "no go" for me. When considering the future where I may not have access to all my reloading gear, a .308 just makes sense.

Even here in Europe, when I visit sporting shops, I make it a point to check for 6.5X57R, 7X57R, 8X57JRS, 7X65R and so on, there are at least five times the selection of .308 to any of the rimmed calibers here. The rimmed calibers seem to be dying in Europe and long dead in the US, if they were ever alive to begin with there.

In the end, I only care about a well delivered single shot, all other considerations come from overactive imaginations. Just stop and think about your last 20 or 30 big game kills, how many required a follow up shot? The answer for me is none. Even when I missed, I happily let the animal go, a pardon was happily granted.

But a 6.5X57R would really be nice :)
Robert J Stokes

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Ah Bob - thorough as always, but your last sentence suggests a lingering element of confliction ;) ;)

I agree with you on the rarity of a second shot in most big game hunting, and on the 308. It just makes too much sense, particularly in a Stutzen. Flexibility, wide range of factory ammo (second only to 30.06), projectile and load choice, preference for quicker burning powders, readily available brass, target grade dies(if you want them). Another plus, for me, 308 available now, anything else 6 to 12 months. :D :D

Also FWIW, I know several people hunting sambar with K95s and most of those rifles are in various rimless calibres. No one is dissatisfied. No one is muttering about getting their bolt guns out of semi retirement :D

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Reflecting back now, sometimes less is more. If my bbf and drilling were both 3006 that would freed up a lot of space because of common components. My guess is the modern german hunter has moved on from the 8x75R .

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”