ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Re: Kipplauf hunting

Post by ebrownw2 »

Congrats, Chuck. Is that a TDS reticle?

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

stokesrj wrote:Quartering to? Where was the exit?
This is an old photo but it was only slightly quartering to me. The exit is on the other side. Nice be typical Woodleigh exit hole.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

ebrownw2 wrote:Congrats, Chuck. Is that a TDS reticle?
Was the old z6i 4A-300 reticle I think. Its been replaced by Swarovski with the new Z6i II with a similar reticle.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

mchughcb wrote:I love just walking along with my Kipplauf and seeing a deer broadside eating away. Lining it up at 135m and sending another of my 220gr Woodleigh on its way.
Using the proverbial sledgehammer to crack the proverbial walnut :D

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Some people would have you believe nothing less than a 375 is acceptable. I myself prefer the 416 Remington. I prefer to leave it at home :lol:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

So with all this talk bout Kipplauf hunting, I thought it better I actually go hunting than talk about it. With an early full moonrise last night I setup near a tree. Standing for hours with no action is something I've had years of driven hunt experience with. As dusk approached the moon started to rise and sure enough a deer came out of the forest, jumped the fence. When it got to 130m I had another bang flop with the Kipplauf. No need for rapid reloading. This will be a nice little eater, hanging the shed now. :dance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Boy you are stacking them up with the kipplauf!

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Going out tomorrow, but with a bow. Rifle season has not started yet.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

mchughcb wrote:So with all this talk bout Kipplauf hunting, I thought it better I actually go hunting than talk about it. With an early full moonrise last night I setup near a tree. Standing for hours with no action is something I've had years of driven hunt experience with. As dusk approached the moon started to rise and sure enough a deer came out of the forest, jumped the fence. When it got to 130m I had another bang flop with the Kipplauf. No need for rapid reloading. This will be a nice little eater, hanging the shed now. :dance:
If, I'm not mistaken, that is how it is supposed to work! Well done.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

mchughcb wrote:Some people would have you believe nothing less than a 375 is acceptable. I myself prefer the 416 Remington. I prefer to leave it at home :lol:
Now if you can just get a K95 barrel in either calibre, expecially the 416 then your man card eill automatically be upgraded to platinum. :lol:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I like this. https://youtu.be/lqOhjXK0gEM

And don't forget the Haenel.

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Cheers, added those. Found a few others as well.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

This has been a really fun thread. I can't explain why the Kipplauf uncovers the passion the way it does, but for me, it grabs my thoughts and dwells within my center of joy more than any other rifle does.

I just finished glass bedding my 6.5-300 Weatherby after it was rebarreled, a rifle that I love, that has shared many adventures with me, proven itself worthy of admiration. With it I have slain well over 100 big game animals, probably closer to 120. It has been rock solid, never losing zero or even missing a game animal, even though it has been through some tough situations, like sliding down the side of a mountain trapped in a scabbard of my horse, driven into the mud, yet still maintaining zero. But in the end it is a tool, a very good tool, but it fails to grab my heart the way a kipplauf does.

I wish I could explain it but I can't. The only way to know the joy of a kipplauf is to own and use one over many situations, within this use the joy is revealed. I understand that many turn to the thought of a missed opportunity because it is not a repeater. Yet, in reality, this isn't much of an issue at all. The only time I wished for more firepower was when stalking a Duiker through a herd of cape buffalo with two Rhinos within 30 yards. At that moment I really wanted a 416 R8. Even then things worked out, and the little kipplauf did it's job joyously, the buffalo decided to flee and the rhinos were never seen again.

I'm really trying to decide if I want to haul my BD14 back and forth between the US and Germany, or just take the K95 Stutzen. I can shoot roe deer and fox with a .308 as easily as with the .222 barrel of my BD14 and can also shoot red deer and wild boar with the .308 as easily as I can the 30-06 barrel of my BD14. Plus it weighs less, packs easier, and I don't hunt birds in Europe so far, so the 20 gauge is likely to only be used with slugs on driven hunts.

I'm leaning towards the Kipplauf.
Robert J Stokes

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Answered your own question I think Bob. :D

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”