Rethinking Everything

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

SPEEDY

Re: Rethinking Everything

Post by SPEEDY »

stokesrj wrote: Of course this disregards the advancement of the Ruger American rifle which can be had in .204, .223, or 300 BLK for no more than a scope mount for the Blaser costs. Who among us could be happy with these plastic rifles?
I could, if it happened to be the ONLY rifle I could have. :lol:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

stokesrj wrote:What were you thinking? As Speedy pointed out, one of the great things about the Blaser platform is the ability to change optics. One optic sighted in for your 220 grain full power load and another for the reduced velocity Trailboss load is pretty unique in the shooting world.
Of course this disregards the advancement of the Ruger American rifle which can be had in .204, .223, or 300 BLK for no more than a scope mount for the Blaser costs. Who among us could be happy with these plastic rifles?
What i found was using my Z6i a 200 yard zero is also good for 50 yards so that saved bying another scope.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

MM wrote:
mchughcb wrote:Just do what I do. Down load the 220gr woodleighs with trailboss and pop rabbits with it. Saves buying a new barrel.
Can you share that load?
Here you go. Its good on rabbits and foxes. Penetrates well.

viewtopic.php?f=101&t=15051

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

AS30N is supposed to be pretty good too, I was thinking of getting some for a subsonic 168gn 308win load with the Zmax.
But I might mix the loads up with the hunting loads, so maybe I should load the funny little 100gn pills after all.

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Nothing will expand at subsonic speeds unless it is specially designed for it. I've seen pics of a .308 110gr vmax fired at subsonic speeds into wet telephone books and there was no expansion.
Nosler are bringing out a .308 200gr subsonic projectile. Don't know when it will be avaliable.
I've made subsonic loads for my 708 and have used them to shoot possums around camp.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

It shouldn't matter for varmints, I'm just looking up some berrys FMJ RN pills for the 30/30, I figured that they would do just as good a job as anything else on Bunnies for pretty much that reason.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

If you need expansion at subsonic i also use the 220gr BT energetics 30 cal prohectile in my K95. It will expand a lot so expect almost no pass throughs.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Blasernovice wrote:Nothing will expand at subsonic speeds unless it is specially designed for it. I've seen pics of a .308 110gr vmax fired at subsonic speeds into wet telephone books and there was no expansion.
Nosler are bringing out a .308 200gr subsonic projectile. Don't know when it will be avaliable.
I've made subsonic loads for my 708 and have used them to shoot possums around camp.
There is the LeHigh defence range of fracturing .30" for the BLK and others, but boy howdy are they expensive

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Yep they are spendy. I heard the new Nosler subsonic are $60 per 50. I'm assuming that is NZ$.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Considering the trouble mates have had turning the BLK into an effective killer, and maybe these pills like the LeHigh defence could fix that.
But unless your poaching hunting at true subsonic "silent" noise levels then you might as well just use a better hunting round.
Id rather a 7.62x39 then a BLK, it can still be subsonic if your that way inclined.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

SPEEDY wrote:Considering the trouble mates have had turning the BLK into an effective killer, and maybe these pills like the LeHigh defence could fix that.
But unless your poaching hunting have a permit and contract to cull at true subsonic "silent" noise levels then you might as well just use a better hunting round.
Id rather a 7.62x39 then a BLK, it can still be subsonic if your that way inclined.
Fixed it, and yeah, the .300BLK /whisper terminal ballistics on pigs and larger deer do not impress me much.

It becomes an interesting circle though, depending on where you are working, a contract will, eventually lead you to obtaining a permit for a Cat D and or a Suppressor - in some states the holy grail of both is possible. The AR15 / AR10 clone is handy for out of a chopper but is it needed for ground work without a suppressor if the first shot scatters the mob?
If you can get a suppressor do you really need the cat D if the mob doesnt hear the shots and scatter? :think:

And once again, unless you have an AR15 clone why run the BLK?

And just to draw attention to the whole "should straight pulls be cat B?" question along comes these things https://www.gunworld.com.au/riverman-oa ... 0-blackout

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

One of the guy who posts regularly on some NZ forums has a Tikka in 300 blackout. He uses a mix of subsonic and supersonic rounds. He will often shoot goats with the subs, and not disturb deer just around the corner.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I know a fella occasionally comes on here, does pro shooting with cans and a even a Colt LE901 (I think) and when truly hunting/culling with a proper truely quiet subsonic noise level, a 22lr does as good a job, uts about head shots to kill cleanly expecially in a professional context.
If you use a suppressed 9mm or 45 then you will get just as good a performance as a blk out to 75-100m at subsonic velocity.
The main point of a suppressor on the colt is to shoot without hearing protection to increase safety and situational awareness, and to minimize impact on the neighbors is a very distant second.
If your roo shooting around town then they help to keep the crazies at bay.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

You do have to be careful though - the current National code of practice for roos permits the use of .22s in urban (high nutjob density) environments, just at a max of 30m with HV ammo - Part C of Schedule 1

https://www.environment.gov.au/system/f ... ercial.pdf

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Oh the roos are different, 7.63x39 sub loads, but its more the principal that subsonic loads lack killing power so you have to turn the lights off at the switch.
Killed a whole bunch of goats both nannys and billies at the 100m mark with the 22lr and subs.
Its getting the holdover right for base of the ear type shot thats trikky, but very very doable with practice.
Even the ex missus could do it.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”