Finally got a Sauer drilling-tons of pictures

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Excessexpress

Re: Finally got a Sauer drilling-tons of pictures

Post by Excessexpress »

Charles,

Please make it anyway, I’ve found some instructions but haven’t made a sensible translation yet.

I haven’t dared turn a screw yet!

Dilly541

Post by Dilly541 »

mchughcb wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:28 pm If you need help on regulation let me know. I might make a video on how to do it.
I definitely need help. I have tried adjusting the lugs every which way and as soon as I tighten it, I can see the edge of the barrel at the muzzle end when I look down the bore of the insert. I am hesitant to fit it to the gun if it will never regulate...

This is how I am orienting it...

Am I missing something?

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I just checked youtube and not one german hit on how to set them up. I'll have to make a video this weekend. If I don't explain it well enough you can email me your details and we can work it through on Skype.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dilly541

Post by Dilly541 »

Perfect, thanks

Steve

jackmusial8

Post by jackmusial8 »

I have always been a sucker for combination guns & drillings. I bought a Merkel suhl drilling in 12/12 7x65R for a great price but could not find anyone to modify the claw mounts to a newer zeiss scope. I ended up selling the drilling & buying a Blaser B95 instead. Looking at yours makes me miss my Merkel. Great job & i love to see people still interested in drillings cheers!

Dilly541

Post by Dilly541 »

I ended up fitting it myself and using a little foil tape on the top to adjust it down from the shotgun barrel.

Took it to the range yesterday and was able to achieve this 5 shot CCB group with the 7x65R with NO scope adjustments! YAY
The two holes with the red arrows are 170grain TUG bullets. The other three are 175grain softpoints.

Then I set up the .22 insert. Wasn't too hard. Removed one layer of tape to get my vertical, then came right with the lugs.
25 yards with the same point of aim in the scope as the 7x65. The square is 1". I am pretty pleased with the entire experience.

Now, I have a line on 410 inserts for it....

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Looking good. Very interesting that you needed to use the foil for adjustment. I'll check mine again but undoing the screws and sliding the wedge is how I regulated mine. I'll get of my behind soon and make a video of how I did it.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

If its working then don't mess with it, well as long as you can remove and insert it without loosing its zero then your on with a winner and now I really want one.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Dilly541

Post by Dilly541 »

It seemed to come back each time I removed and re installed it yesterday. I’m making a little square drive key for it today.

Dilly541

Post by Dilly541 »

I think I am done now lads. I had to add some length to this gun to give it proper dimensions for me. I wish I could have matched the wood, but I just couldn't find a piece that looked like the original stock. I decided to just put in a black divider and be done with it.
Here it in in "bird mode"

I weighed it today a well. 7lbs 11oz with scope and 6lbs 6oz without. Should be a comfortable carry.

I got some new adjusting lugs for my .22 insert. Krieghoff was excellent to deal with. I will have to fiddle around and get it permanently tuned. That should complete it for this fall's hunting season.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Awesome restoration work there. How many hrs you put into it.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Dilly541

Post by Dilly541 »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:50 pm Awesome restoration work there. How many hrs you put into it.
I didn’t keep track really...but the rust bluing took a whole darn weekend...LOL

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Geesus you have a long LOP. Looks good though.

Dilly541

Post by Dilly541 »

mchughcb wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:21 pm Geesus you have a long LOP. Looks good though.
Haha...it’s a bit of an optical illusion. I thought the same when I saw the pictures. It’s only 14 5/8” to the front trigger. Same as my Winchester model 12 that I love.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Fantastic job and a stunning gun.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”