K95 with open sights

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

SPEEDY

Re: K95 with open sights

Post by SPEEDY »

I learned to shoot with my pops old 22lr, it had a big front sight and no rear sight.
I did pretty good with it, killed a number of foxes at 80m or so and shot 5 or 6 rabbits every afternoon for the dogs out to about 50m or so.
I had to stalk them so I had nice relaxed shots and unwary game.
Sure I missed a bunch but hey, I only had the one sight.

But game I've take with open sights that I remember fondly include some trophy goats, my 1st public land Fallow and one trip when I broke one of my scope rings a whole bunch of pigs.
They were some of my fondest hunts, probably due to the increased difficulty and the effort involved to set the shot up.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

The object is a quick humane kill. If you can do that with open sights, ok.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

The thought that open sights are less humane is one I first heard in Germany. I’m all for the thought that we should strive for clean, quick kills. But I thought it was rather ironic in a country that so highly Regards driven hunts to question the ethics of the use of metallic sights. I’m absolutely sure I can make more clean kills on relaxed animals with open sights than anyone can on running game with a scope.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

People made humane kills with open sights for centuries before there were scopes, really scopes have only been realy popular since the 60's.
Open sights are from a time when people really learned to stalk, scopes were just better for lazy hunters, much like Magnums when they came out.

My pop used to spotlight foxes with a shotgun, once they saw one in the light, the shooter got out, assessed the wind and stalked in to shotgun range.

It seems crazy to do that now but it worked.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

stokesrj wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 pm The thought that open sights are less humane is one I first heard in Germany. I’m all for the thought that we should strive for clean, quick kills. But I thought it was rather ironic in a country that so highly Regards driven hunts to question the ethics of the use of metallic sights. I’m absolutely sure I can make more clean kills on relaxed animals with open sights than anyone can on running game with a scope.
Ive hunted with 2 qualified german hunters in Australia.

My only comment is: self praise is no recommendation.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Does the saying involving glass houses mean anything to you Chuck?

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”