How Long Do You Wait?

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

MM
Meister der jagd

How Long Do You Wait?

Post by MM »

When doing load development for a K95, BBF 95/97 or BD14 how long do you wait between shots? After you find your preferred load how long do you wait between shots for your final sight in? Do you just let 3 or 5 shots rip or do you have a set time interval between shots?

Corjack
Administrator

Re: How Long Do You Wait?

Post by Corjack »

Since these are strictly cold bore shot hunting guns, I often wait ten minutes unless it is pretty cool outside then about five. All I care about is the first shot is where I want it, and if the second is needed close is good enough.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Couple of minutes max.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Not sure exactly what you are asking but for my BB97 double o/u I load develop using the bottom bbl only and then I'm fairly methodical and fire at a couple of minute intervals to get a group. Same as my bolt guns.

When regulating, the scope is zeroed on the top bbl with a similar tempo. I have only needed the rough regulation on the bottom bbl to get the 2 shooting near enough (meaning less than 2" apart at 150m). Then to make sure it is all doing what it should - I fire one after the other as quick as I can and if they're both "minute of moose" at 150m I'm good to go....

I've shot up to 3 pairs in quick succession just to see what happens and I've not noticed shots starting to deviate more than you would expect when you get your shoulder thumped like that. But that's just what I do....
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

This is an interesting debate for which I suspect you will hear many diverging responses. If I am doing load development I have seen barrel temperature related variances that are problematic (to accurate groups). Significant differences in temp (cool to quite hot) usually cause "stringing" of the groups, and not always vertical. I once thought that "fairly cool" was adequate to continue to the next shot, but have seen examples where (different) "fairly cool" temperatures had varying results on group size. So now I use an inexpensive laser thermometer so I know exactly what the temperature is at a particular place on the barrel. When an accurate load has been developed, I test it with a half dozen (or so) continuous shots so I know the real-world effects when hunting, or if I need to try a different load options (powder or bullet). Everything I just said is overkill for the average shooter/hunter who just need a fairly accurate cartridge to practice and hunt with! . . . But I enjoy the journey, not just the destination. :think:

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

I thought this would generate more response but thanks for the input. For developing loads I shoot 3 shot groups and allow 10-15 minutes between shots depending on how hot it is. If I do not wait between shots I make note of each shot and usually the first two are touching or at least very close. The third shot usually has a flier that opens the group up to about an inch but can be in any direction not always strung vertically and if I shoot a fourth or a fifth shot my groups open up to an inch and a half to two inches. I should probably only shoot two shot groups.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

For load development I usually shoot three shot groups, really quickly, before the barrel has a chance to heat up. Then I let it cool all the way down to ambient conditions before shooting the next three shot group. I learned that from watching Speedy Gonzalez shoot bench rest. I was shocked to see him wait for a condition and then shoot all five shots so fast you would think he was shooting IPSC. When I asked him why he shot so fast he said two things, to get them all off under the wind condition before it changes and to get them down the barrel before it had time to heat soak. He was 200 yard benchrest national champion four consecutive years, so I guess he knew what he was talking about.
Robert J Stokes

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I like the idea of getting them off quick and then wait. I'll give that a try.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

That is a great idea I never would have thought of

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

On the other hand, heat soak is actually pulling the heat out of the lands, and the lands at the throat are the most vulnerable to erosion. Of course heat soak is also affecting the heat of the entire barrel. Swings and roundabouts.

Maybe it doesn't matter if the barrel is allowed to come all the way back to ambient afterwards.

I wait a good couple of minute betwen shots with the K95 and maybe five or more between groups. Lower ambients definitely shorten the wait. I do this with everything, mainy to be kind to the barrel.

The BBF seems to want to walk if gets hot, which underlines Ron's comments about it's intended use. Long waits are the order of the day when I shoot groups with the BBF, which isn't often, as I regard it as a set and forget firearm.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Interesting, my BB97 9.3x74R doesn't seem to walk all that much. I had it at the range yesterday to check it before the moose hunt restarts Monday. Shot 3 quick pairs for a coffee mug sized group at 150m no real bbl preference in the cluster. I was absolutely delighted with that outcome. I'd have been pissed if my R93 9.3x62 shot such a crappy group at that range. Sure, if I wait several minutes between shots and try really hard, I can get better precision out of each bbl of the BB97 - but generally I think my shooting goes walkabout more than the bbls do.

And as you say, its a set and forget bang stick for large game, not a precision LR firearm. but just carrying it in the forest makes me happy.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”