K95 Owners Association

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Re: K95 Owners Association

Post by secondtry »

Good choice Speedy. I'm in Vaughan's boat - I would love one, but have zero use for one. :(

I'd be interested to know what the current $$ ask is for a new standard K95 barrel if you would like to post it. If you would prefer not to post, would you perhaps PM me ?

I think I mentioned before that the Stutzen forend on a standard bll does not have the necessary forend contact. I reckon this could be solved very easily (and cheaply) by making a filler piece to go between the F/E tip and the barrel. You'll see what I mean when you have a standard barrel to play with.

Twist rate for the Hornet in a K95 ?? I presume that it will be euro slow, but with the various lightweight tipped offerings, and semi-pointed heavier choices, slow should not be a problem.

Bore is hopefully .224 and not .223 ???

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

secondtry wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:49 pm Good choice Speedy. I'm in Vaughan's boat - I would love one, but have zero use for one. :(

I'd be interested to know what the current $$ ask is for a new standard K95 barrel if you would like to post it. If you would prefer not to post, would you perhaps PM me ?

I think I mentioned before that the Stutzen forend on a standard bll does not have the necessary forend contact. I reckon this could be solved very easily (and cheaply) by making a filler piece to go between the F/E tip and the barrel. You'll see what I mean when you have a standard barrel to play with.

Twist rate for the Hornet in a K95 ?? I presume that it will be euro slow, but with the various lightweight tipped offerings, and semi-pointed heavier choices, slow should not be a problem.

Bore is hopefully .224 and not .223 ???
A couple of things.......

I'm going to try the Stutzen forend 1st off only because I was reading on here actually in a post called the littlest Blaser by Blaser guy.
Worse case it will cost me $1400 for a new forend, but I'd love to make a red gum cap insert for it instead.
I was thinking about going up to a 223rem class case of some kind, but that brings me to the price point.
OSA figures are I forgot exactly but it was $2400 for a standard 22 hornet barrel. $2800 fir a 20" barrel and $400 more if you wanted it threaded.
I wanted a 20" tube but it seems like a waste of $400, so a quick comparison with getting the local Smith to do it and I could get it both cut and thread if I wanted for under $300.
I might just get it threaded to add value after I get it cut and I'd still be saving money.
Admittedly when your talking Blasers savings a $500 saving is just the spare change really.
Prices have gone up since the last time I thought about it, so I'd better get one now.

But the reason for a hornet you ask, well here's my thinking.
As a kid I loved the hornet, sold it for a 223rem but I always missed the polite little hornet.
It will be for whistling foxes, sniping Bunnies, spotlighting pests ect.
Then I will load it down to 22lr velocity for around camp, sell my current pea rifle and I can also load it with air gun pellets like I did with the 223rem for completely quiet fun.
It will be quiet and pleasant for the wife to learn with, and suitable for her tiny frame.

It's the perfect choice for what I want, and that's despite my always wanting one too boot.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

stokesrj wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:42 am
Vaughan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:07 am
SPEEDY wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:37 pm Good gun for the wife to learn with, great little spotlighting gun for foxes ect and I can load it down subsonic very easily for a little fun around camp.
Nice one! I'd love to get a Hornet but I've absolutely no need for one, not that this should matter. Hope it's a shooter :dance:
Don’t you shoot fox and capercaillie? Don’t you have a BBF 97 that would accept a 22h/12ga barrel set? Come on now, be creative and enjoy the wonders of a little 40 grain bullet at 3000 FPS and how well it can kill small to medium sized game or pull the other trigger if it runs or flys.
What he said. :dance:

Actually some of Rob's adventures with the little hornet was a really big arm twister if I'm being totally honest.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

:D
stokesrj wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:42 am
Vaughan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:07 am
SPEEDY wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:37 pm Good gun for the wife to learn with, great little spotlighting gun for foxes ect and I can load it down subsonic very easily for a little fun around camp.
Nice one! I'd love to get a Hornet but I've absolutely no need for one, not that this should matter. Hope it's a shooter :dance:
Don’t you shoot fox and capercaillie? Don’t you have a BBF 97 that would accept a 22h/12ga barrel set? Come on now, be creative and enjoy the wonders of a little 40 grain bullet at 3000 FPS and how well it can kill small to medium sized game or pull the other trigger if it runs or flys.
:D Yes, I shoot both, and roe deer. I have a 6br for that already, plus the wifes 17HMR that whacks foxes quite nicely. However - I also have the BB97. I had been toying with getting a 12/7x65 or 57 but the 22H combo would be better for clearing the foxes and hawks that keep eating my pheasants, and a reasonable ranges would take roe deer no problem, though probably not be legal for that use. Good idea :think:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Just to followup on a question above - my guess is the bore is .224, is this right? I've a nasty feeling it is .223 :pray: Plenty of Lil'Gun available :D
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Vaughan wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:02 am Just to followup on a question above - my guess is the bore is .224, is this right? I've a nasty feeling it is .223 :pray: Plenty of Lil'Gun available :D
Waiting, waiting. I'm sure that stokesrj will have checked his. What's the answer Bob ? :)

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Funny enough I came here this time specifically to ask that same question.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Curious thing.... I was just checking Wikipedia for info on the 22 Hornet. This states a bullet diameter of .224"

but what was curious is that this page claims the caliber was popular amongst the Alaskan Inuit due to its low cost and they used it for hunting seal and caribou AND Polar Bears..... :o :o

and to think most places ban its use on small deer.... :naughty:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Forked if I'm going to ues one on bloody polar bears. :naughty:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Vaughan wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:48 am Curious thing.... I was just checking Wikipedia for info on the 22 Hornet. This states a bullet diameter of .224"

but what was curious is that this page claims the caliber was popular amongst the Alaskan Inuit due to its low cost and they used it for hunting seal and caribou AND Polar Bears..... :o :o

and to think most places ban its use on small deer.... :naughty:
You've jogged my memory.

I can remember reading something similar regarding seal and caribou some time ago - but polar bears :o . Mind you with their spray and pray attitude to "hunting" caribou, anything is possible.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

It’s 224
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Cheers, figured as much as they only really made them in 223 for the early years before going 224 as mainstream.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

stokesrj wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:40 pmIt’s 224
:handgestures-thumbup:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

stokesrj wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:40 pmIt’s 224
Thank you.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm thinking about going the Speer 46gn FNS as my rimfire substitute with trail boss and and the 40gn Vmax for my Lil gun loads.
Time too look some up.

Did that, looks like 10gn will be about max and do me just fine.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”