secondtry
Meister der jagd

Re: K95 Owners Association

Post by secondtry »

Oops!

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

secondtry wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:45 pmOops!
Ah, better spend as much time as I can with the wife while I can, I can spend all the time I want with the K95 mistress after I get back. :dance:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Vol423
Meister der jagd

Post by Vol423 »

Vol423 K95 luxus (no cheekpiece) 30/06

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm thinking I'm going to take the plunge and order a 22 hornet barrel and trust it will work with the retaining half of Stutzen forend on its lonesome.
I saw that has worked for others and if it doesn't work for me then I can always chase up a second foregrip then.
But I've at least talked myself into a hornet, a 222rem or 5.6x50R might be more practical and versatile but stuff that.
Walking a creek with the little hornet trying to get the jump on Bunnies and foxes seems good to me.
Even though I don't have any access to a good Bunnies and fox property yet. :doh:

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

Now you got me thinking...6.5x57R wouldn't be bad...for smaller game like roe deer and occasionally a fox, badger, jackal...even wild boar :think:
All for one and 9.3 for all
https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

SPEEDY wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:10 am I'm thinking I'm going to take the plunge and order a 22 hornet barrel and trust it will work with the retaining half of Stutzen forend on its lonesome.
I saw that has worked for others and if it doesn't work for me then I can always chase up a second foregrip then.
But I've at least talked myself into a hornet, a 222rem or 5.6x50R might be more practical and versatile but stuff that.
Walking a creek with the little hornet trying to get the jump on Bunnies and foxes seems good to me.
Even though I don't have any access to a good Bunnies and fox property yet. :doh:
It's gotta have a rim, so no 222, good as it is. 5.6x50R is very attractive but Hornet is just SOOO sweet. :), and much simpler to get brass and dies.

My vote is for the Hornet. Quiet. Plenty of range and plenty of grunt for what you describe.

I'll talk myself into one if I'm not careful :lol:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

The PPU factory ammo is so cheap it's not worth reloading so I will probably just buy it, I plan on keeping shots under 100m anyway so it should be plenty powerful and accurate.
I'm still tossing up the K hornet but I don't know if it will be worth it, it's only an inch flatter at 200m and more power won't be needed.
If I want flat to 200m I can reload the 35gn Vmax for a better 200m trajectory.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Get a 222.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I’ve found that the 22 Hornet really shines with the 40 grain V-Max and 13-13.2 grains of Lil’Gun, small pistol primers and Winchester cases. The 40 grain V-Max shoots more accurately and flatter than the 35 grain V-Max. My standard length K 95 will shoot that bullet 350 FPS faster than factory loads using the standard 45 grain bullets. In fact that load will out shoot a K-Hornet using conventional powders like H110 and IMR4227. The 35 grain V-Max is only necessary if using a magazine fed gun but that stubby bullet drifts in the wind far more than the 40 grain version.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That might do, I was also looking at other bullets like the 40gn one from a Winchester 22mag that they used to sell in bulk.
It's not going to be so much of a flat shooting centerfire type barrel as a 22mag with a bit more oomph to it.

If it works out well and I want something for spotlighting ect I can always order another barrel in 5.6x50R or just jump up to a 6.5x57R instead.

But if I'm going to be knocking around in a vehicle spotlighting, I will either take the 270win or just buy a specific spotlighting gun, and besides that I haven't spotlighted in years, anyway and if I wanted to step onto the 222rem's heels I can get it converted to 22 K hornet and get an extra 250-300fps.
The little hornet will suit the roll as my small game and varmint barrel quite nicely.
It's not all about speed and power anyway.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

icebug wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:10 pm Now you got me thinking...6.5x57R wouldn't be bad...for smaller game like roe deer and occasionally a fox, badger, jackal...even wild boar :think:
A 6.5 is the king of the jack of all trades, 100gn bullets for small stuff up to Fallow does and something like the 120gn Barnes for everything else, or the brilliant 156gn lapua mega for that matter.

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

mchughcb wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:02 pmGet a 222.
I'm getting him a price on Tuesday for one. :handgestures-thumbup:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I have both the triple Duce and the Hornet. Of course it depends upon what you want it to do but I prefer the Hornet. I’ve killed deer sized game with both as well as lots of hogs with both and can tell no difference on game at 150 yards in. But a big difference in report and the Hornet is just much more fun.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

This will be my small game like rabbits, hares, crows and for fox whistling.
It won't see use past 200m at the extreme and mostly under 100m, I think a quiet and pleasant little hornet will fit the bill.
And if there's any issues with using a standard barrel with a stutzen forend then the low pressure and recoil of the hornet is less likely to cause an issue.

jthorm10

Post by jthorm10 »

K95 Black Edition 7x65R

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”