Kipplauf Turkey

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

MM
Meister der jagd
kuchnie na wymiar kraków nowoczesnekuchnie

Kipplauf Turkey

Post by MM »

First day of Turkey season in Ohio yesterday and I had to escape and get outdoors for awhile. Sunup in the forest and not many gobbles certainly not any close enough to try and set up on. I decided to set my decoys and call hoping one would eventually respond. At 7:25 I heard a gobble and that age old decision do I stay put or try and move on him set in. Before I could decide he gobbled again and he sounded closer, so I let out a few yelps immediately followed by a gobble and he gobbled back behind me then went quiet so I knew he was headed my way.i kept watching and I saw him moving very slowly through the brush and he would only pop his head up to look when he was behind a tree or log. I waited until he went behind a tree raised my gun and waited and waited and waited then I finally saw him raise his head and neck and look right at me. I fired my gun and sent a load of Federal #9 TSS at him and he just disappeared and at first I thought I missed or he was too far. I got up walked over and there he was stone dead no flopping around no wing flapping. That was a first for me. My first time using the TSS Turkey loads and it will be all I use from now on, it patterns great and kills decisively. 42 yard shot,not super long but needed a tight pattern based on the small window I had and the probability of brush deflecting the pellets. Cool old kipplauf Turkey gun and a beautiful old bird if I do say so.
EEFD2E92-2D51-417A-8BF0-09B8FF9D788A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Re: Kipplauf Turkey

Post by sav338 »

Very nice and well done , congrats and thanks for sharing. I’m sure it’s nice and refreshing to get out into the bush.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Great hunt. One day we might get those TSS loads down here.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Pretty good for an old single shot, what's it choked?
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

:clap: Wow that is a nice big bird....well done. :clap:
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Waidmannsheil, those TSS loads are a game changer. I killed a coyote with that same load you are shooting the other day at 35 yards, those #9a went all the way through him.
Robert J Stokes

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Last year I was told that guys were shooting turkeys with a 410 at 35 yards using TSS loads.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

SPEEDY wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:12 pm
Pretty good for an old single shot, what's it choked?
I can find no choke markings on the gun but when I put my choke gauge in the barrel it is slightly short of hitting the full choke mark. I am guessing it is full but tighter choked than standard.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Corjack wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:57 am
Last year I was told that guys were shooting turkeys with a 410 at 35 yards using TSS loads.
I want to get a little more experience with actually killing birds with the TSS but pattern wise my 410 should be good to 40 yards,and I am looking for some 28 gauge loads for next year.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

stokesrj wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:53 am
Waidmannsheil, those TSS loads are a game changer. I killed a coyote with that same load you are shooting the other day at 35 yards, those #9a went all the way through him.
I love using that old Beretta for turkey hunting and the TSS loads and they are agame changer especially with that gun. If I see a coyote I wouldnt hesitate to shoot it with the #9 load, but for my BBF 97 and a dedicated coyote load I have not quite figured out what shot size to use but I will definetly make the move from copper plated lead shot to TSS.
Matt

dieselten

Post by dieselten »

Great job MM. I have some 28 gauge from Apex. He is a small manufacturer that offers all gauges and many shot and payload sizes in true TSS. He is more expensive than Federal, but he has them and they shoot good.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Apex was the first TSS loads I tried and then The Nitro Company but I see now that Browning, Remington, Winchester, and evening HeviShot as well as Federal is loading it. I just got some Apex #4 TSS for coyotes but I read that #2 and BB kill deer cleanly.
Anyway congratulations on the Turkey with the old single shot and TSS.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

MM wrote: I can find no choke markings on the gun but when I put my choke gauge in the barrel it is slightly short of hitting the full choke mark. I am guessing it is full but tighter choked than standard.
The easy way to know, well half of it anyway is to look at block under the barrel and there should be two numbers.

The 1st will be 18.2,4,5 ect that's the barrel size, then there's another number usually in the 27 mark if it's around a full constriction.
If it's imperial then there will be a .730 for the barrel and another smaller number for the choke.
Just subtract the small number from the big and you will get your actual barrels choke.

I only say that as most fixed choke guns don't handle hard shot like steel or TSS if it's got a heavy constriction.
It will probably be fine for once a year turkey hunts ect but if you shoot it more then you can split the barrel.
I've got one gun that's 6" shorter then it came out of the factory because a cousin decided to shoot steel through it.
But generally speaking small shot handles tight chokes much better then large shot so your possibly safe due to that but it never hurts to know for sure.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Thanks Speedy I will look for those markings but offhand I don’t remember seeing them. My research has indicated that the Federal TSS loads are in fact safe for an older gun with a fixed choke. It is my understanding that it is different than other types of non toxic shot in that regard. I have heard that scoring of the barrel can occur if the wrong type of wad is used but it is cosmetic only and I am using the Federal factory loads with the tru-flute wad that negates that risk. The other factor is that at most with turkey hunting I will only fire this gun with those loads at most two times a year.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”