Getting somewhere with S2 regulation

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

SPEEDY

Re: Getting somewhere with S2 regulation

Post by SPEEDY »

Definitely that, much closer regulated then my factory regulated double.
But I've been told they like to regulate the left barrel a bit low as people tend to shoot higher on fast follow up shots, especially with open sighted guns.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Thorbrandr wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:17 pm
Vaughan wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:28 am With my BB97, the rifle is a RH setup and I'm LH so I find the back trigger a bit awkward and this reduces my accuracy somewhat with the upper bbl. Practice helps. I set it up so I can shoot 4 from 4 into 4" circle at 150m and stopped worrying about it. I think you've done a great job, but I'm just shooting at big brown things that don't want to eat me, so my standards are pretty relaxed :lol: :lol:
I am left handed and have large hands. My S2 has a straight American stock. No noticeable cast off like I have seen on the Blaser shotguns. Triggers are the same as my left handed D99: Front trigger to the right of the rear. If I use just the pad of the finger, the recoil pushes the side of the front trigger into finger....ouchie. Need to put more finger on the rear trigger. Practice.

Bottom line is the rifle IS showing great accuracy, and it looks like I have the regulation pretty well set.

Thanks

T
Mine is the same, rear trigger on the near side. Standard configuration I assume. Same for my old o/u 12ga. I find with this setup and the way the triggers are shaped, the finger doesn't naturally flow onto the rear trigger - and your finger can get jammed up as you describe. I assume the design is more natural for our RH brethren but I don't know. After lots of sporting clays I don't really notice on the 12ga any longer but I get more jammed up with the Blaser, not sure why.

A small price to pay for all the benefits of being a leftie :lol: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

There's a benefit to being a lefti, I thought natural selection was the reason they only make up 10% of the population. 🤣
Although it does make you wonder why 90% are right handed and it's not more 50/50.
Imagine if only 10% of the population was male or female. :think:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Yeah, none that I'm aware of.... :? :doh:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

It might be slightly off topic, but I find it interesting, if it was social I could understand but it's the same exact ratio regardless of nationally, gender or ethnic backgrounds.
So off topic yes, but still interesting all the same.

Back on topic, could you gently file the high sharp side so it doesn't bite?

Thorbrandr

Post by Thorbrandr »

SPEEDY wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:48 pm Definitely that, much closer regulated then my factory regulated double.
But I've been told they like to regulate the left barrel a bit low as people tend to shoot higher on fast follow up shots, especially with open sighted guns.
hhhmmmm. Been pondering adjusting the elevation regulation. With the timing rods I have a way to measure, but adjusting an inch or two is real fine stuff.But that is why you keep notes.

T

Thorbrandr

Post by Thorbrandr »

Update:

Got elevation zero'ed out. Both barrels printing at some elevation at 100 yards. Front clamp screw is replaced with a 304 stainless screw that doesn't want to strip on the torx driver. After moving to 100 yards and getting 3-4" groups (left-right) on two rest types, I came back in to 50 yds and carefully checked again. It is crossing over before 50 yds, and going wider at 100 yds. Now to get that adjusted.
Last edited by Thorbrandr on Sat May 29, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I have to say factory regulation is a lot less hastle, that just seems like too much work.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

SPEEDY wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:17 pm I have to say factory regulation is a lot less hastle, that just seems like too much work.
Factory regulation is only better if done properly. I have heard of a few doubles that don’t shoot the regulated load correctly. At least with the S2 you don’t have to send it back to the factory to be regulated.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Thorbrandr wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:26 pm Update:

Got elevation zero'ed out. Both barrels pricing at some elevation at 100 yards. Front clamp screw is replaced with a 304 stainless screw that doesn't want to strip on the torx driver. After moving to 100 yards and getting 3-4" groups (left-right) on two rest types, I came back in to 50 yds and carefully checked again. it is crossing over before 50 yds, and going wider at 100 yds. Now to get that adjusted.
I assume you are shooting with open sights?
And it is a 470 NE, they are not meant for long range shots.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

9.3x64 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:30 pm
SPEEDY wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:17 pm I have to say factory regulation is a lot less hastle, that just seems like too much work.
Factory regulation is only better if done properly. I have heard of a few doubles that don’t shoot the regulated load correctly. At least with the S2 you don’t have to send it back to the factory to be regulated.
True, and you can only trust factory regulation targets just so much and you are limited in what bullets it will shoot.

Thorbrandr

Post by Thorbrandr »

9.3x64 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:34 pm
I assume you are shooting with open sights?
And it is a 470 NE, they are not meant for long range shots.
Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x. Also have an Aimpoint red dot.

The elevation regulation was not that good out of the box (3" at 100). It also drifted. I normally check all my rifles on lasers before they hit the range, and the windage regulation looked awful as well.

When I decided to do the first elevation adjustment I found that the front clamp screw was not very tight. It has been a bit of a learning exercise, but I am down to some final adjustments.

T

Thorbrandr

Post by Thorbrandr »

SPEEDY wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:36 pm True, and you can only trust factory regulation targets just so much and you are limited in what bullets it will shoot.
Did not get any targets with this, and and it was new old stock.

T

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Thats interesting you had to replace the torx screw on the clamp. Still there's a fair bit of recoil. I'm assuming it is an allen key?

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Thorbrandr wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:15 am
SPEEDY wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:36 pm True, and you can only trust factory regulation targets just so much and you are limited in what bullets it will shoot.
Did not get any targets with this, and and it was new old stock.

T
They only do that for factory regulated guns, there's no need on adjustable guns.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”