Regulating the Blaser BBF/BB/95/97

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

mchughcb

Re: Regulating the Blaser BBF/BB/95/97

Post by mchughcb »

Vaughan I can video skype you when you get it and show you mine.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Thanks Chuck, that would be brilliant. I'll give you a yell in July once I've got it fixed. :handgestures-thumbup:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Unless you are mechanically dislexic, its a piece of cake Vaughan :D Once you have it in your hands, it will make sense.

With Chuck's help, you will be amazed at how few rounds it takes to get it set up. :D

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

secondtry wrote:Unless you are mechanically dislexic, its a piece of cake Vaughan :D
That would be a fairly accurate description.... :lol: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

For Vaughan

Post by mchughcb »

As promised Vaughan, this is how I do it.

[bbvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/AoFCc5_EjnI[/bbvideo]

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Excellent video Chuck.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Cheers, it hard to film and hold the barrel at the same time. I'm regretting not taking more video of me doing the S2 and S2 Safari as I feel it could have helped some people. Might see what I can do.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Thanks Chuck!! I'll redo this to correct my lower bbl when the season is done. Should fix the problem with the rubber insert - amongst other things.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

A picture tells a thousand words.
I just have to convince Bob or Corjack to make a BD14 version one day... :pray:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Okay. So I just noticed something different about my BB97. It doesn't have a third screw or the 45 degree counter screw only the windage and elevation. I have checked my old blaser catalogues and they all have three screws for fine tuning. Lucky I was able to MOA regulation at 100m using coarse adjustment only. I think I will make a S2 and S2 safari regulation video soon now.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

mchughcb wrote:Okay. So I just noticed something different about my BB97. It doesn't have a third screw or the 45 degree counter screw only the windage and elevation. I have checked my old blaser catalogues and they all have three screws for fine tuning. Lucky I was able to MOA regulation at 100m using coarse adjustment only. I think I will make a S2 and S2 safari regulation video soon now.
I think mine only has 2 as well. I need to double check but I'm packning to go to Oz in the monring and will do that when i get back.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Well, finally the snow has melted away from the shooting range... After reviewing the vid from Chuck, I took the BB97 out with the new scope and tried to "fix" the regulation from last fall.
20180510_120741.jpg
You can see I wondered around a bit, first getting the scope on target at 25m and making a very rough regulation of the bottom bbl. I then moved it to 100m and fixed the zero of the top bbl at that range and fixed the regulation of the bottom bbl. It worked surprisingly well. Obviously I need to go back and recheck more thoroughly. Coulda been I just go lucky with those 2 shots - and I have to walk the bottom bbl back a little shot #3 was a bit too far left - but 19 rounds was enough for my bum shoulder. Responded well and predictably to the adjustment screws though, so I was pretty damn pleased.
20180510_120646 copy.jpg
Today I was just using 232gr FMJ practice ammo and I will need to redo it with hunting ammo later. But I figured it was a good learning experience. A good first day at the range since January :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

You are on to it now.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

It comes down to having confidence the bbl will move in a predictable way when you fiddle with the screws... And having a bit of patience..... As you have suggested, I reckon I'll be able to get this close enough without resorting to the fine adjustment screws on the top bbl. I'll see how it goes at 150m with the Woodies.

A question.... I remember the Blaser tech recommended I back off one of the screws a touch - so I was using either the elevation or windage screw to make the adjustment, snugging in the 45 degree screw - and then backing this screw out maybe 1/8th of a turn.... Seemed to be working OK but how do you folks do this???
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Yes, this is how is meant to go. So whatever way the barrel is pushed, it should be free floating in the opposing direction. So it could be the counter screw or not. However I did exactly as you describe, just lightly tighten the 45 opposing screw and that's it. Whilst it may have some impact on vibration nodes and barrel wander as it heats up the reality is I challenge anybody who can shoot a double with both barrels, 2 shots each to be within a sub MOA group at 100m and start to complain about the rifle accuracy not equalling a bolt action varmint rifle.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”