Hunting Legality With Combo Guns & Drillings

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Corjack
Administrator

Hunting Legality With Combo Guns & Drillings

Post by Corjack »

Several times I have remarked to fairly ardent hunters, how much I like my combo gun for hunting, and that I really did not understand why they where not more popular in the US. Most times they reply, that the main problem is, they are not legal.

Now upon checking this in the state of Missouri, they are legal, as most small game is in season during the large game season. The only provision is, you are only allowed to use #6 shot, or smaller. Slugs are also legal, as they are considered a large game round. Combo guns are not allowed for spring turkey hunting, as no other game is in season at that time, and turkeys are shotgun only.

A lot of hunters feel that since the combo gun is not a bolt action repeater, it is not viable as a hunting gun.

Others have the idea that all combo guns are inaccurate at ranges exceeding 100 yards. Even though I have owned mine for about five years, I still am surprised at how precise they are. Not had a chance to shoot anything past 100 yards, but if the situation arises, I am confident in my firearm.

What are the laws concerning hunting with combo guns in your state, or country?
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Ak

Re: Hunting Legality With Combo Guns & Drillings

Post by Ak »

In Norway there are no restrictions on what kind of animal you can hunt with your combination gun, as long as the rifle barrel have a large enough calibre for the big game you are after. You are not allowed to use the shotgun barrel(s) for anything larger than roe deer, regardless of what you put in them, slugs or pellets.

I have always wondered why no one uses a combination gun for turkey hunting, in my mind it would be the ideal weapon.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Ak wrote:In Norway there are no restrictions on what kind of animal you can hunt with your combination gun, as long as the rifle barrel have a large enough calibre for the big game you are after. You are not allowed to use the shotgun barrel(s) for anything larger than roe deer, regardless of what you put in them, slugs or pellets.

I have always wondered why no one uses a combination gun for turkey hunting, in my mind it would be the ideal weapon.
In Missouri turkeys may only be hunted with shotguns using shot. We still have more shootings during turkey season, as hunters do not properly identify their target, and shoot a camo clad turkey hunter that is trying to call in a turkey.

I know other states allow rifles for turkey hunting. Texas allows them in the fall season, but not the spring.

Dom

Post by Dom »

No problems here in the Fatherland, home of the Drilling ;)

It is the hunters responsibility to use the right barrel/shot/bullet for the game that is in season, of which often you could shoot a hare, a fox, a deer, a pig, a pheasant, a duck or a combination of them all just by selecting the proper barrel trigger combination, which I have done many times. Happy Camper here with a Bockdrilling giving me choice of 20 guage, Hornet, or 30-06 :D
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

In Australia their good to go, although you cant have rifle rounds on you or in the car if your hunting ducks.
Sambar stalking in vic might be the other way round but one of our mexicans would be more informed on that.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Side note, 12ga/ .22lg, or magnums have a popularity here with a lot of farmers that only want 1 gun as they do it all for them.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

SPEEDY wrote:In Australia their good to go, although you cant have rifle rounds on you or in the car if your hunting ducks.
Sambar stalking in vic might be the other way round but one of our mexicans would be more informed on that.
Is the no rifle rounds a requirement for public land hunting of waterbirds in the NT? What about the public areas that also allow pig and buffalo shooting, or dont such things exist? What about waterbird hunting on private land?

To answer the Victorian question, it's yes to BBFs with slugs for sambar, no to drillings on any game species. The regs for game recently changed to allow the use of shotgun slugs but during the review process it was determined that the act, not the regs, defines anything bigger than 12 bore or containing more than 2 barrels to be a punt gun and verbotten for game use. So one can use a drilling on pigs and rabbits (both pests) but not ducks and deer (both declared game).
On the topic of ducks & birds in season some public land is only open for bird hunting, not pests or deer hence having rifle ammo in the firearm would be verbotten (manure I'm turning in to Dom and forgetting the English words :doh: )

In NSW both BBFs & Drillings are approved for game species, there is no specification on what loads must be used so long as they are used within effective range and in a way that ensures a quick kill within the capacity of the firearm/cartridge - a hope shot with BBs at 100m+ on deer would be in violation of the regs and grounds for loss of licence if the wounded deer ended up in someones yard but so far this has yet to be tested - one hopes education will prevent a testcase involving a rimfire and goat/pig/deer :|

In Queensland all are pests of some description so it's open slather - drillings dont lend themselves to fast reloading in the cab of the ute so have limited appeal here though :doh: :oops: Be interesting if we ever get gamebird seasons again though but being on private land I doubt it would be subject to many regs purtaining to much other than season times :think:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

During goose season they let you shoot pigs in some of the hunting reserves due to all the shooters there.
Weather or not its ever enforced is another matter and on private land anything goes pretty much.
Can you bow hunt ducks in vic? You can in the NT.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Here in Ohio you may only use a shotgun for turkey. Deer cannot be shot with a rifle so you are limited to a shotgun, muzzloader, or handgun. You may not shoot any game during the gun season other than deer, pigs or coyotes but you must have a valid deer permit and use a firearm legal for deer hunting. I can use my BBF for turkey as long as I am using the proper shot shells and do not posses any rifle ammunition on me or in my car or camp. During deer season I can load slugs in it and use it for deer but I cannot posses any shot shells or rifle ammo on my person, car or camp. I personally asked a game warden about this at a deer and turkey expo and that was his answer. I wish I could carry rifle ammo to shoot coyotes especially during turkey season because I have at least one coyote a year come to the turkey call. I still use my BBF for turkey and deer even though it is reduced to a single shot because I love hunting with it and it makes a great compact light turkey gun with the scope off.

Ak

Post by Ak »

Deer can`t be shot whit a rifle?? Why?

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Ak wrote:Deer can`t be shot whit a rifle?? Why?
Some of our states have laws allowing only slugs out of a shotgun, or a muzzleloader. This is because they are populated to the point, they do not want lots of bullets whizing around. Other states, like Iowa,Illinois, Ohio and I think Indiana, have these same laws, and general thought is, the rules are antiquated, but undoing a law, is really tough.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Hunted fox on private land with the drilling last weekend no problem.

Grumulkin

Post by Grumulkin »

Ak wrote:Deer can`t be shot whit a rifle?? Why?
Actually, if you are using a nuisance permit tag, you can use any legal weapon to take deer in Ohio. In fact, all the deer I've taken in Ohio have been with a rifle except two.

Ak

Post by Ak »

It`s interesting to see the different laws from different places in the world, up here muzzleloaders are non existing (except from old ones, but they are never used for hunting). It also seems like you are encouraged to hunt with bows in most U.S states, and in Norway we are not allowed to hunt with bows at all. It actually says in the law that all weapons used for hunting shall be propelled by gun powder.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

There is a barrel you can get for a ruger .22 that launches an arrow using a .22 nailgun blank.
You could bow hunt with that just to stir em.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”