What is involved in owning a handgun?

All handgun subjects may be discussed here. Sponsored by Canovi & Associates Survival Training.

Moderator: pagosawingnut

dchamp
Meister der jagd

What is involved in owning a handgun?

Post by dchamp »

What is involved...in owning a handgun in your country, province or state?

Can you obtain a Conceal Carry Permit?
Can handguns be used for Self-Defense?
Are their restrictions on caliber? [such as Mexico who cannot have military class cartridges, so their more popular handgun cartridge is the .38 Super]
What other restrictions or issues might their be?
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

hannu.k

Re: What is involved in owning a handgun?

Post by hannu.k »

sweden

99% only fore sport shooting
no carry
no self defence
calibers whitin what kind of sport shooting, 22lr to about44 mag, but its hard to get a .50

to get i licens
member in a shooting club that are in a federation that the police thinks is ok
(this is about to get much harder in a few weeks , in 2015)
written test
3 gold series, 46 p @ 25m whit a 22lr match pistol
half a year to wait from you become a member to get the first 22lr licens, you can do practice and test whitin this time
one year to get anything larger than a 22lr

there are som difference in what kind of practica test you have to make, if its whit cas or metal shiluett or ipsc or black powder e.t.c
but the most of us have gone thro the things i wrote above
Kill moa before it is to late

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

Here in Colorado, all we have to do is buy a handgun to own :mrgreen: it. Of course we have to go through an Instacheck, and if we pass, there is no waiting period. We have to be able to prove that we have taken and passed a concealed carry course within the past 10 years to qualify for a concealed carry permit. We may carry concealed for self defense and there are no caliber restrictions.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

Dom

Post by Dom »

In Germany must either have a Hunting License or are a Sportshooter. Without one of those items chances are slim you're going to go purchase a handgun.

For hunters, no big deal, as to get the hunting license you already have a background check, etc. Naturally it is a bit more detailed than this, but this is the short and easy answer.
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Here, occasionally the local car dealerships run a promotion, buy a new car or truck, they give you a Glock.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

Here in California, one of the more repressive states in the USA, you are required to pass a back ground check, a federal requirement, along with a 10 day waiting period for all firearms.

As for handguns you also must have a HSC card (Handgun Safety Certificate) which is nothing more than reading their pamphlet, taking a written test and demonstrate the safe handing of the handgun you are purchasing or a CCW ( Conceal Carry Weapons) permit. Another law states that you can only purchase one handgun per month.

Obtaining a CCW in California can be problematic for many because we are a May Issue State which means it’s at the discretion of the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in the county you reside in. Fortunately for me I reside in a county that is very easy to obtain a CCW, one of the few.

Their have been some court cases challenging some of our draconian laws put forth by our lunatic legislature and should change things for the better.

You can use a handgun for hunting, competition, plinking, collecting, etc. and self defense and there are no caliber restrictions other than the .50 BMG something Ex Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

Mile-High-Muley

Post by Mile-High-Muley »

Dchamp, you should get out of cali.
“The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable.”

- H.L. Mencken -

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

I am 4th generation Californian. My family has been here in the San Joaquin Valley for along while. I think I need to stay and fight these crazy b@$~@_ds. Besides my children and grand children are here. But... with the taxes and excessive social and environmental regulations being imposed on us we may have to someday.

Mile-High-Muley

Post by Mile-High-Muley »

Utah welcomes you when you decide to relocate.
“The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable.”

- H.L. Mencken -

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

Thanks for the offer. I have considered looking for property around Heber in the recent past.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Here in Oklahoma you just have to be 21 and pass the federal background check to buy a handgun from a licensed dealer. However anyone can buy one from an individual with no paperwork. And anyone except convicted felons can own as many as they want. Same rules for long guns except only have to be 18 to buy from a licensed dealer.

To get a concealed carry permit you just have take a one day class which runs around $100. I haven't bothered with it.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

ebrownw2 wrote:Here in Oklahoma you just have to be 21 and pass the federal background check to buy a handgun from a licensed dealer. However anyone can buy one from an individual with no paperwork. And anyone except convicted felons can own as many as they want. Same rules for long guns except only have to be 18 to buy from a licensed dealer.

To get a concealed carry permit you just have take a one day class which runs around $100. I haven't bothered with it.
Texas pretty much the same thing. The 'no paperwork' drives the anti-gun idiots up a tree. They're too stoopid to get the big picture that all the criminals are going to sell their stolen guns to each other without paperwork or government approval no matter how tight they make the laws for the law abiding people. Course the same people put up a sign saying you can't bring a gun into the building and think it'll stop someone prepared to die that day. Head shakers.

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

Very hard to get one in Ireland, under new legislation you have to have a "good reason" to have one. This is taken to mean by the police are being a member of a shooting club and using it in competition. You are not allowed to carry it on your person visible or concealed, it must be carried to and from the range in a locked box and you are not allowed to hunt with a hand gun over here.

trazman
Meister der jagd

Post by trazman »

In Slovenia is almost the same as hannu.k wrote that is in Sweden...

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

In Florida, no hassle, I can walk into any gun store and walk out with a handgun, no waiting, no background check, but that's because I have a concealed weapon permit. It is good in 26 states that have reciprocal agreements with Florida. I also have an Arizona concealed permit which is good for many of the other states.
If I didn't have the Concealed Carry permit I would have to wait 3 days to take possession, be 21 and pass the Federal background check.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Handguns”