"Primus Inter Pares"

All handgun subjects may be discussed here. Sponsored by Canovi & Associates Survival Training.

Moderator: pagosawingnut

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Re: "Primus Inter Pares"

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Nice pistol and nice shooting :clap: :clap: :clap:

I had a quick look at reviews of the .454 online and found a youtube video comparing the 250g Barnes HP with a 1 ounce 12g slug in gelatin - very impressive but not ideal for home defense in highly urbanised areas :D

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

That's a by God pistol right there. What are you going to hunt with it?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

ebrownw2 wrote:That's a by God pistol right there. What are you going to hunt with it?
Anything I please :D
Robert J Stokes

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

DANG!!! That peaks my interest. :mrgreen:
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

Post by Guest »

Really nice group Bob, can't wait for the hunt reviews from it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

Really nice group Bob, can't wait for the hunt reviews from it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Well, I haven't used my 454 Casull for any hunts, but I have all my rifles shooting the way I want, so, I took the Freedom Arms 454 to the range today for a work out. I tried various loads that held some promise and finally settled on a load using the Hornady 240 grain XTP Mag and 37 grains of H110.

This is a special bullet developed by Hornady specifically for the 454 to withstand the violent transition from cylinder to forcing cone. Lesser bullets get torn apart and shed their jackets in the bore which is obviously very dangerous if another round is then fired behind it. Catastrophic events can and have occurred. When working with loads over 1,600 fps you must use one of the very tough bullets designed for this purpose, and I'm taking them well over 1,600 fps.

To illustrate the power of this round, let's compare it to the .44 Remington Magnum a well known and respected caliber with a reputation for cleanly taking big game. It also has a recoil that although stout is easily mastered. Most factory .44 Remington Magnum loads push a 240 grain jacketed hollow point around 1250 fps to 1,350 fps. With the load I was shooting today, I'm driving a 240 grain Jacketed hollow point over 2,000 fps. The recoil takes some training to get comfortable with and then master.

I do know that today there are more powerful pistol cartridges such as the 460 and 500 Smith and Wesson Magnums, however, these are fired from much more massive and heavy guns. The Freedom Arms is a full size revolver and is in my opinion just the right balance of portability and enough weight to handle the recoil. I think the recoil is at the upper end of what most people can learn to control.

I have mounted a Trijicon RMR red dot sight to make it easier and faster to sight in hunting situations but my groups remain pretty much the same with the red dot, or a 2X Leupold or the iron sights. I have partridge, express and fiber optic sights for it but they all shoot the same. I just think the red dot is the easiest to use and gives me the most confidence.

By the time I had finished training, I had 13 rounds left and decided to shoot them at a deer vitals target at 50, 75 and 100 yards from a sitting position using my outdoorsmans rest. I let one get away from me at 50 yards but it was still in the lungs so all five shots would have been a kill shot. Next I moved to 75 yards and fired three rounds in a nice 1.5" group just to the right of the aiming point, all would be clean kills. I then fired the remaining five shots at 100 yards without changing my hold. This is what makes me really love this gun. All five shots dropped into a nice 2.9" group at the top of the heart. This is a really well made revolver, I like it.
_DSF2047.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

The sight looks funny on that, but it should do the job.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Nice setup And great shooting there Bob,

Steve

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Gee that's a lot of grunt for a hand gun.
That would be a lot of fun to shoot. :clap:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Nice gun, great shooting.

Cheers
Rod

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Today, my hand is a little sore after firing 250 rounds of 454 Casull yesterday, ouch!
Bob
Robert J Stokes

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I got a little brother to Primus Inter Pares for packing. It is also a Freedom Arms Model 83 and also chambered in 454 Casull but has a shorter, 4 3/4" round barrel. It also has a 45 Colt Cylinder for shooting lighter loads. It really likes the Hornady 250 grain XTP at around 1,500 FPS which is a little more than a 44 magnum but no where near as potent as a full house 454 Casull load. It's still a load of fun to shoot as you can see in my face after shooting a Coleman Propane bottle at 50 yards with it, just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Robert J Stokes

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

I don't know if they still do, but for a while, Remington made a 385 gr hp. Holds together very well and has enough mass to get the job done. I'm going to get around to playing with it shortly.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

Return to “Handguns”