357 Sig

All handgun subjects may be discussed here. Sponsored by Canovi & Associates Survival Training.

Moderator: pagosawingnut

Corjack
Administrator

357 Sig

Post by Corjack »

Am getting a Sig P229 in 357 Sig off of Retrieverman, always wanted to try that round. I hope I like it.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

AndyC148

Re: 357 Sig

Post by AndyC148 »

Converted one of my .40 cal P229's to a .357 sig. Changed the rear sight along with the barrel using their sight-pusher tool. Later, picked up a P226 and Glock 33 ("baby glock") in .357 sig too. BTW, my local PD traded in their old S&W 9mm's for P229's in .357 sig...everyone qualified first time at bat.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I have finally got it, can not wait to get home and shoot it.
002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndyC148

Post by AndyC148 »

You might want to try the Hogue wrap-around grips for an inexpensive upgrade. BTW, enjoy your new 9mm mag! ;)

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

My hands are small, the Hogues makem feel fat. I will probably order some Nils, like I have on the P7M8 and put on all my Sigs. Got a 226, 220, and now the 229.

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

Post by NE450No2 »

The 357 SIG is a Hot Water 38 Special/9mm... :shock: :o :o

OH, and then there is the 40 Short & Weak....

Real Men shoot a 1911 in 45 ACP...

The handgun we used in WWI and WWI, The Wars WE Wanted to Win... And WE Won... :clap: :D

Sorry, just had to stir the pot a little...

Actually the 357 SIG is a good 35 Bore cartridge. It has a good velocity and tends to feed pretty good.

It is like a semiauto 357 Mag, which with the right ammo, has a good self defense track record.

AndyC148

Post by AndyC148 »

Corjack wrote:My hands are small, the Hogues makem feel fat. I will probably order some Nils

Know what you mean, the P229 seems like the "chunkier" one of the Sigs. I have a set of Nils on one of the P229's that keeps it slimmer than the Hogues and looks way better to boot.

retrieverman
Meister der jagd

Post by retrieverman »

I have a Hogue wrap around with finger grooves on my old P228, and it is too large for my hand but feel good just the same. :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

retrieverman
Meister der jagd

Post by retrieverman »

NE450No2 wrote: Real Men shoot a 1911 in 45 ACP...
This statement screams inadequacy in some other area of life... :shifty: :whistle:

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

Post by NE450No2 »

Sorry Gents I do not mean to denigrate calibres under 45...

I was forced to carry a 9mm for several years, and as long as you shot people in the head it did OK...

However.

My second handgun, in 1966 when I was in the 9th grade was a 1911 in 45 ACP... It has been my most favorite ever since.
And it served me well until the "forced 9mm days"...

And I can say I have seen it and the 44 Mag used with great results over the years.

The 9mm does not have a good track record in shootings I have observed, or I am personally aware of, whether in handgun or MP5's.

Unless you hit them in the head...

AndyC148

Post by AndyC148 »

AndyC148 wrote:Converted one of my .40 cal P229's to a .357 sig. Changed the rear sight along with the barrel using their sight-pusher tool.
Sorry, it was the front sight I changed. Had to change it because the .357 sig shoots flatter than the .40 s&w.

longrider
Meister der jagd

Post by longrider »

NE450No2 wrote:Sorry Gents I do not mean to denigrate calibres under 45...

I was forced to carry a 9mm for several years, and as long as you shot people in the head it did OK...

However.

My second handgun, in 1966 when I was in the 9th grade was a 1911 in 45 ACP... It has been my most favorite ever since.
And it served me well until the "forced 9mm days"...

And I can say I have seen it and the 44 Mag used with great results over the years.

The 9mm does not have a good track record in shootings I have observed, or I am personally aware of, whether in handgun or MP5's.

Unless you hit them in the head...

My experience is quite similar over many years. The only LE shooting autopsies I attended were either 45acp (WW 230 "black talon") or 12 gauge 00...except minor calibers to the noggin. I really like the LE WW (today's ranger) the "claws would cut the arteries, while others would often just slip past them.

Many officers involved in shoots opted for the proven bigger bore after the perp was able to get his licks in when their 9 simply did not cause enough damage soon enough.

Our .308's worked exceptionally well...
Brad

papabear

Post by papabear »

Many years ago now (my how time flies) TX DPS went from the .357 revolver to semi autos, mostly .45 in the Sig 220. A few opted for 9s for the capacity. Our specs to the ammo companies was a 200 grain bullet at 1000 fps. Speer came up with what has been termed the "flying ash tray" at just over 1050 average from the Sig.

Two things: the Sig proved to be uber reliable. To create jams for training purposes the trainers would load fired cases in the magazine randomly. Mine and most others fed the empty brass. Trainers had to step on brass to bend the case mouth to create jams.

The other thing was that our hits became much more fatal when analyzed against similar hits from the .357. In other words, the .357 was just as good for stopping fights but the .45 was more lethal.

Thus the .357 Sig came about. Equally good as the ..357 Magnum and the .45 as a fight stopper, but less lethal than the .45

A war story. Early on in the .45 days, IIRC correctly, five guys took on a single trooper in south Texas. A dash camera captured most of the gunfight. Three bandits were dead in the highway right of way, one made it into an adjacent cane field where he went down for good. As far as we know, the other one may still be running somewhere in Mexico.

When An officer retires from DPS, he may purchase one issue gun. Since I was a regional commander, I had several issued to me. The 220, a compact 9 mm-a229 IIRC, a pre model 10 snub nose, a 1946-7 Colt 1911, and a pristine pre-war non-registered (more rare than registered models) 3.5" .357) that was so nice that it had been on display in the Director's office for many years. Needless to say, I chose that latter one.

I still miss my 220. I bought another, then got careless and left my truck unlocked. And it was stolen. Even if recovered, The local PD makes no effort to return them. I'm old enough now that I should be selling, rather than buying.

Return to “Handguns”