S&W M&P "R8"?

All handgun subjects may be discussed here. Sponsored by Canovi & Associates Survival Training.

Moderator: pagosawingnut

thechamp
Administrator

S&W M&P "R8"?

Post by thechamp »

Appears S&W has added to their revolver line with the M&P R8 in 357 Mag and 38 Special. It is an 8 shot 'N' frame with a scandium frame and a shrouded barrel with an under-barrel rail for mounting a laser or a light. The top of the barrel is drilled and tapped for an over the barrel optic mount. The cylinder is also specially recessed to allow using full moon clips that provide super-fast reloads. Having now played with the Governor which has the full moon clips for the 45 ACP I find it's a very clean and neat way to reload in a hurry. Plus they keep the rounds together and ready to go. List price is just shy of $1300. Good looking and stylish revolver. Glad to see that the revolvers haven't gone by way of the Edsel.

An article on it and their website link below it:

http://www.gundigest.com/handgun-review ... =236085689

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y

I'm wondering if they have a designer on board who owns a Blaser R8 especially being that they have NO other "R" designated handgun. :lol: :lol:

TRIPPER

Re: S&W M&P "R8"?

Post by TRIPPER »

I bought one of those some time ago with the Preformance Center package. It is a real shooter and a good general purpose handgun. The weight is minimal for the firepower and moon clips work well. I think it carries as well as the traditional six shot K frames.

thechamp
Administrator

Re: S&W M&P "R8"?

Post by thechamp »

Agree with the new metals and how they can keep the size down yet add more cartridges is impressive. I haven't seen one side by side to compare the size but from the looks of it the difference is minimal. Glad to see S&W putting some engineering and emphasis on the revolver side. Saw a lot of people over the years that had a hard time shooting a semi-auto accurately but no problem with a revolver. Plus the novice can see what the revolver is doing versus the 'glock' style where everything is hidden in the gun and they can cock and de-cock the revolver.

Return to “Handguns”