Worlds Finest 22 Pistol

All handgun subjects may be discussed here. Sponsored by Canovi & Associates Survival Training.

Moderator: pagosawingnut

Corjack
Administrator

Worlds Finest 22 Pistol

Post by Corjack »

I have owned High Standards, in Supermatic Citations, and Victors. Rugers, Buckmarks, and a few others. I think the Hammerli that was imported by Sig a few years ago, and called a Trailside, might be really good as well. However the S&W 41 is the only one I have kept. It is a shooting SOB. Barrels change in a snap, and function for me has been 100%.
002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

garypilot

Re: Worlds Finest 22 Pistol

Post by garypilot »

Corjack,

Like you I had a Model 41 with both short and long barrels. I emphasize "had" as I regretfully traded it away some years ago. It seems that I usually suffer remorse after trading/selling a gun that I once loved enough to acquire.

Perhaps this is an indicator of a needed gun owner's Rule To Live By: Never let go of a gun you once loved. Food for thought.

Gary

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

I lusted after the Mod 41 for years and when I finally acquired one, was horribly disappointed. It wouldn't shoot near as accurate as my Buckmark. Fortunately for me, the gent I got it from had sellers remorse and wanted it back. At least I got to own one for a short period of time.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

skeetshot

Post by skeetshot »

I have had a Mod 41 for the last 36 years.

Its extraordinary accuracy and reliability and superb trigger continue to impress

I have handed this down to my son, and he shoots 22 empties with it at 25 meters

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Years back we got a screaming deal on a well used 41 that the local Constable had used to shoot competition with in his younger days. Bluing was well worn and some minor scratches. Sent it back to S&W and they cleaned it up, re-blued, etc., all for $125. The gun came back looking like a brand new one. (This was in the early-mid 1980s.) I had bought it for my step son (at the time - disowned since) to practice with. It was unbelievably accurate and fun to shoot. After he left home he traded it even up for a Taurus 9 mm.... :o Of course he also stole a Rem 700 in 6 mm that was a tack driver as well. :cry: Sure would have liked to have kept that little pistol and the rifle too for that matter!

AndyC148

Post by AndyC148 »

Here are my two 41's. The older one on the bottom has an UltraDot MatchDot scope and solid wood grips. The newer one on the top has laminated wood grips. I bought the second one after I had heard rumors of the seasoned gunsmiths at the Maine S&W facility were getting close to retirement. True or not, I wanted a backup for league shooting. Also, picked up a 7" barrel along the way too.

[URL=http://s937.photobucket.com/user/A ... .jpg[/img]/url]

boyscout

Post by boyscout »

I want one.

DEHusker

Post by DEHusker »

What would a good price for one of these with 5 inch barrel be nowadays...good-excellent condition?
DEH

ROdell

Post by ROdell »

$1,100 if older, $1,000 if newer. I follow them pretty closely.

You can get more if you are not in a hurry.

DEHusker

Post by DEHusker »

ROdell wrote:$1,100 if older, $1,000 if newer. I follow them pretty closely.

You can get more if you are not in a hurry.
What constitutes older vs newer? How would I be able to tell? The local gun shop has one in excellent condition for $1200 but they've had it for over a year now. I'm sure they'd negotiate on it and I'd like to buy one. However, I'd like to be able to tell a bit about it before I "pull the trigger" so to speak.

DEH

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Look for an A prefix on the serial number. If it has an A it is a good one.
Robert J Stokes

papabear

Post by papabear »

I would still buy a 41, nicely used, at a decent price. I cannot imagine it being more accurate than my OLD Ruger MkI with a 5" bull barrel. It has a trigger job and an overtravel stop screw. The long barrel version that rode under the seat in Dad's farm truck for over forty years and has been shot thousands of times is almost as accurate.

Jack

Romellio

Post by Romellio »

The grips on these guns are made of a soft rubber-like material that cushions the hand nicely. When shooting in warm, humid weather, the grips help prevent the gun from slipping in a sweaty hand.

Field stripping this pistol is very easy when compared to some of the other rimfire handguns on the market like the Ruger Mark III and the Browning Buck Mark. That could be a significant enough difference to make the Model 22A the best pistol for many people.

There are several Model 22A variations for barrel length and finish. The base model in black with a 5.5” barrel has a retail price of only $329.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Been shooting one long Rom?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I'm thinking there could be another contender, no pun intended. I used a Thompson Contender with a .22 LR match chamber to shoot grouse in Alaska for a few years, it was really accurate, I could head shoot grouse up to 25 yards with a high degree of regularity, but as a single shot, it doesn't qualify as the worlds finest 22 pistol.
However, I'm considering buying a Freedom Arms model 97 or 83 in .22LR. I think it is the worlds finest precision manufactured 22 pistol. It is manufactured with the care we expect from a Blaser and routinely turns in sub MOA groups at 100 yards. I've made an offer on a 6" 83 in .44 Magnum and if it goes through then I might follow up with a 22 just because a 22 is a 44 when doubled. :)
Bob
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Handguns”