New 44 mag to my Handgun heap

All handgun subjects may be discussed here. Sponsored by Canovi & Associates Survival Training.

Moderator: pagosawingnut

longrider
Meister der jagd

New 44 mag to my Handgun heap

Post by longrider »

Ran into a guy with this 629-1 4" that he wanted to move along

Brad

thechamp
Administrator

Re: New 44 mag to my Handgun heap

Post by thechamp »

I had the big custom shop 629 and it was a very good gun and a good shooter but just too big to carry around even hunting. The one you got is much handier to carry and bad news should something warrant getting shot. Considering you live in grizzly country that is a very good choice.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Why is it nobody I run into ever wants to get rid of something like that, that's right because I live in Australia and the only people with guns like that lying around are bikies and dealers and I just don't know any. :roll:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

I've got 6 different .44's From 3" to the 8 3/8 and they are all shooters. Good find
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

AndyC148

Post by AndyC148 »

I have a 5" and 6 1/2", both full lug 629's. I have a two 657's (.41 mag - 6" & 7 1/2") and definitely have to load my own ammo for them. Would like to get a pre lock 4" 657. BTW, if you're interested, I found that the X-frame stock rubber wraparound grips do fit the M-frames and cover the back strap entirely for more cushioning. They can be bought directly from the S&W website. I had a 460 but didn't like shooting with ear plugs and ear muffs on at the same time!

longrider
Meister der jagd

Post by longrider »

Yes and yes...I am running into more and more bears in the last few years. After shooting my Bull Elk this year I made the first trip back to my rig 1.5 mi away and lots of elevation with my rifle/everything possible locked in the truck to head back up to boning/packing meat. I left larger/heavier handguns and shotgun in the truck...just too much meat to pack out. The Bear tracks and scat were everywhere that day, but I did not have any encounters.

A few months earlier, just a mile away a hiker was killed by a grizz and one of my neighbors ended up in intensive care with half his face ripped off while he was working on his irrigation (daytime/open hay field).

Just another example of our brain dead feds introducing Canadian wolves and leaving bears "protected"

Our flesh ends up in their scat and my scat ends up in my pants...

Having had my share of bluffs and various encounters I really do not want to try and fend off a grizz with my little 44 - but it is better than my girly screams!

Did the same thing a week later with my cow elk, this time had buddies on the hunt - but we had 4 down and each of us busy taking care of the critters @ different locations. It got dark on me and of course, being exhausted/meat/mud/snow/creeks/ice/one mile each way to rig...left the firearms in the truck. This time I had Canadian wolves circling me and my carcass/gut pile. Flashlights/throwing rocksand screaming just did not cut it for me anymore, so I decided to look for one of these in 4" - I going to "feel" a lot better about being out there now.

BTW, the same gentleman that I bought this 629 from first showed me a 4" 629 with the "Hilary lock" - When I saw the looney lock I handed it back to him and said "no thanks, I just cannot abide carrying one of these"

So, apparently he needed $$, because he left the front room, came back with this pre lock. I just smiled and handed him the cash.

Everyone is happy!
Brad

BLASERNUT

Post by BLASERNUT »

[img]look at the Garrett hammerhead loads. I bought a 329 several years ago for the same reason

Dom

Post by Dom »

Good looking outfit and a little more security vs the girly screams ;)
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

ROdell

Post by ROdell »

[quote="longrider"]Ran into a guy with this 629-1 4" that he wanted to move along

/quote]

I have one of these. A 300 grain hard cast does some serious damage.

I have the 6" and 8 3/8" models, too. I use the 4" on the hip, but when I carry the 6" I have to use a shoulder holster. I used to hunt whitetails with the 8 3/8" model. I love the 629 (and the 66, and the 627 and ...)

I was hunting whitetails in Montana last fall with a friend. We called the rancher's wife to bring out a truck to save a long drag. My friend mentioned he was worried about leaving it out too long because of the coyotes. When he mentioned it to the rancher's wife she said "I wouldn't worry about the coyotes, but those grizzlies by the river ...". Gulp.

Return to “Handguns”