Pattern master choke tubes

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

SPEEDY

Pattern master choke tubes

Post by SPEEDY »

Anyone tried Patern master mobile Classic Extended Range or Classic long Range chokes?

They claim that the extended are good between 40-80 yards and 60 yards for the long Range.
I'm wondering how much of that is BS or if they really are that good.
If they are then they would be good for high geese.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

blaser f3

Re: Pattern master choke tubes

Post by blaser f3 »

I don't know anything about those specific chokes , but I have done a lot of shotgun shooting over the last 25 years both competition and hunting ( probably over 120,000 rounds shot in comp and obviously no where near that hunting , but still a lot )

There is more BS talked about chokes than any other aspect of the firearm industry .
Because shotguns produce random patterns it gives manufacturers licence to make outlandish claims about their chokes which they can't really be held accountable for , and turns it into a lottery of subjective hearsay as to which brand of choke is better than the other .
The only way to achieve anything vaguely resembling satisfaction is to shoot the choke - ammo combo at a pattern board to see what your individual gun is doing .
There is a huge amount of things that contribute to a good pattern and the brand and constriction number printed on the choke is but a very small part of the equation .
Without being rude I would suggest spending your money and time trying to entice the Geese closer to your shooting position and use a light modified - modified choke to cleanly kill them at decoying distance .
Good luck , I wish I was shooting Geese soon .

Ken

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Not going to happen, too many others too close.
They come over fast and high, after getting shot at from nearby.
The best bet is to reach out and touch em or go home hungry. The ducks are closer but the geese are the target, maybe when there's more water about.
From what users have said that I have found is you either kill or miss with them so that works out pretty good.

I was also looking at the Carlson extended steel tubes, they seem almost as good at half the price.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I would echo what F3 said, there is no magic but lots of marketing hype in choke tubes. I have done a lot of testing and spent a lot of money on long range shotgun performance, however my study focus was on turkeys, not geese. The difference is that with a turkey, which is called in, is stationary and we shoot for the head and neck, while the goose is flying by. This is an important difference because with the stationary turkey, all the shot will get there, where with the flying goose, only part of the shot string will get there before the goose passes, with the tail end of the shot string missing the goose entirely. This effectively shortens the range on a flying target.

Another factor is that nearly any shot will fail to penetrate mature plumage of a goose or a turkey at extended range so the only hits that matter are head and neck or underside of exposed wing bones. What you have heard from others about cleanly killing or missing is totally false, I've killed many geese with wounds from previous day shots especially in the legs.

What I've found in my testing is that different loads respond to different choke tubes in different ways. There is no way to find this out other than a pattern board and trying lots of combinations. I will say that in general longer choke tubes are gentler on the shot and produce more even patterns, but this is only a broad generalization and I have seen several contrary examples.

The very best loads that I have tested at long range are the Hevi-Shot brand of Hevi-Shot. They perform at least 25% better than others in several of my guns and probably 50% better than any steel shot loads. Even Remington or other brands using Hevi-Shot fail to come close to the Hevi-Shot brand of shells. With the 3 1/2", 2 1/4 oz loads of Hevi-Shot, I can cleanly kill turkeys out to 70 yards but I would think that would be reduced for flying geese to perhaps 50-60 yards. With these I shoot a .062" constriction long tube. The brand doesn't seem to matter, only how long and to what degree of constriction make a measurable difference.

Bob
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Like Bob said but minus 10 yards for me.

Return to “Shotguns”