Merkel Choke Markings

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

RoyD

Merkel Choke Markings

Post by RoyD »

I just bought this Merkel over under about two weeks ago and got to shooting it at clays last week. While I was shooting I noticed that I would either cleanly miss the clay entirely or completely powder it, leading me to believe that the chokes on my gun are tighter than I assumed. When I tried to find information online, I couldnt find information for a Merkel of this age (about 1935).

So, can anybody on the forum identify what these marks mean?
Also they look the same for both barrels, which I understand isn't very common.
Hopefully the pictures come through clean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Re: Merkel Choke Markings

Post by canalrifle »

The German Gun Collectors Association's website has a question section and I bet someone there can tell you.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I can't tell by the markings but normally the bottom barrel is open and the top barrel is closed. This is if the gun is set up to shoot flushing birds where the first shot is close and recoil is in a more straight line to accommodate a fast second shot from the top barrel. Matched pair guns are often the opposite to shoot an approaching bird at longer range with a tight choke and then an overhead bird with a more open choke before changing to the second gun with a more open choke overhead and then tighter choke for a going away bird. Assuming that this is not a matched pair gun, the common choke would be improved cylinder for the bottom barrel and modified for the top barrel. Less common would be modified for the bottom barrel and full for the top barrel. The chokes are usually marked by a * or ** or***. These markings are usually along the barrel rather than the mono block.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

RoyD

Post by RoyD »

Thanks for the reply Bob, but my gun doesnt have those markings. I assumed the little 12 inside the circle could be an indicator of choke, but I don't know.
I tried measuring the muzzles with a caliper the other day, but the one I use at work is in need if repair. Also, I would like to know what Merkel says the barrels are choked at.

RoyD

Post by RoyD »

Thanks canalrifle, I forgot about GGCA.

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

My bet will be on imp cyl for the bottom barrel and imp mod on the top one.
The calliper is the fastest way to answer your question.
German 12 gauge shotguns usually have 18.4 mm bore ,most of the russian/soviet made ones are at 18.2mm.
Jordan

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Here is a link that might help you. http://shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=110069
Bob
Robert J Stokes

RoyD

Post by RoyD »

Thanks for the link stokesrj, I looked at that site already, but my gun doesnt have any markings that correspond to anything Ive seen. Its old and semi-custom, so maybe they just didn't put any choke indication on it.
I'll have to measure it with some calipers on Monday.

RoyD

Post by RoyD »

I just measured the chokes with some calipers. It looks like the bottom barrel is about Improved Modified to Light Full. Then the top is Full to Extra Full. These are based on the "average" German bore size of 18.4mm.

Return to “Shotguns”