Blaser F16

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Blaser F16

Post by ebrownw2 »

Good write up on the F16 in the current issue of American Hunter (the NRA's hunting/political propaganda rag). Got me to thinking about one but the only shotgun I'm in the market for is a 16 gauge. After a look on Blaser's website I see it's only offered in 12 gauge. The F3 is offered in 20, and even 28 and 410, but not 16 gauge. It seems to me that 16 gauge is the traditional shotgun in Germany since nearly all of the old drillings and shotguns you see are in that gauge. I'm curious as to why it's no longer popular over there. I've read that the demise of the 16 ga in the USA has been blamed on sporting clays competitions not having a class for it. The old jack of all trades but master of none rifle chamberings (30-06 for example) have survived the test of time so I wonder why the 16 gauge seems to be going extinct?

mchughcb

Re: Blaser F16

Post by mchughcb »

Good question. I like the 16G but have stuck with the 12G just because ammo is cheap and available everywhere.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

The 16 gauge is still popular in Great Britain but it is fading fast in Germany. My most used shotgun in my youth was an Ithica 37 in 16 gauge I liked it and the 16 gauge is what they call the "square gauge" not as in boring but as in the shot charge is as long as it is wide at one ounce of shot which is 1/16th of a pound. I've killed everything from whitetail deer, and wild turkeys to tons of quail, doves, rabbits and squirrels with it. But today I choose either 12 or 20 gauge and don't miss the 16.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Chuck: The "ammo is cheap and available everywhere" is a good reason. But why does it apply to shotguns and not rifles? Think about how many obscure rifle calibers are in production.

Bob: If it ain't broke don't fix it. Why have both the 12 and 20 when your Ithaca proved to you that the 16 can do everything you need a shotgun to do?

Beretta doesn't make a 16 gauge O/U either. Browning still does, and always has.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

The 16 is nearly as versatile as the 12, and can be had in an action nearly as trim as a 20 and there is just something special about a 16.

The reasons I use to justify my choices of 12 and 20 are that A 20 allows a smaller action which in turn allows a lighter and handier gun. I use a Benelli Ultralight 20 gauge when I am hunting mountain quail, chukars, and such that requires the gun to be lugged for miles and miles up and down mountains. For pass shooting doves, ducks, geese and such I use my Blaser F3 12 gauge, it can deliver a wider pattern or a heavier payload if needed. But I don't really like lugging it up and down mountains.

I also have two other specialty shotguns, a Remington Super Slugger with a heavy profile rifled and pinned barrel for shotgun only deer hunts, and an 3 1/2 12 gauge Turkey gun for pounding those birds to the ground. And of course I also have my BD14 twenty gauge for just having a shotgun along on a rifle hunt. The 16 can do many of those jobs, just not as well as the specialized 12 or 20 and then there is the cost of shells. The high cost ones are the 16, 28, and .410 bore, the low cost ones are the 12 and 20.

All that said, a 16 is a great compromise gun and the only gauge my great grandfather owned or used all his life. His was a 2 5/16" chambered Browning A-5. He loaded his shells with a lee hand loader and a hammer with #1 buck, for deer and hogs, #5 shot for turkey, and #7.5 for everything else. It's all you really need. It certainly served him well.

If I could only have one shotgun it would be a 12 guage, it is both more capable and ammunition is cheaper and more readily available because it is more popular. In turn it is more popular because it is more versatile.

Bob
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Most people don't reload shotguns anymore so 12g is the cheapest by far. Cartridges are a reloading proposition so 200 brass will last a lifetime of hunts for most people.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

In the US, 12 and 20 are the same price.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

I get it. 12 gauge shells are cheaper. A 12 gauge can throw more shot. 20 gauge shells are cheaper and almost as effective. A 20 gauge is lighter.

My point is, nobody has a problem splitting these hairs in rifles and owning 10 or 20 different calibers. One for everything and two or three for most. I just find it curious that in the shotgun world most people are ok with just owning a light and a heavy. There's no demand for a medium. And even more curious that based on the commercial makers offerings there seems to be more demand for the 28ga and 410ga.

My grandfather always used a 16 gauge. For everything. A Remington model 48 sportsman that his dad ordered for him made to fit his small frame. He had two barrels for it: modified and full. It was the only shotgun he hunted with for 60 years. Dove, quail, ducks, geese. He never hunted deer or turkey. There weren't any here for the first 3/4 of his life and by then he was an old dog not interested in new tricks. So he'd just keep looking for quail in places they used to be. It's in my safe now. I guess he's why I'm sentimental about the 16.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

That's a very good reason.
Robert J Stokes

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

Looks like one of these is on my "to buy" list for 2017/2018 lol. :pray: :banana-linedance: :handgestures-thumbup:

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

ebrownw2 wrote:I get it. 12 gauge shells are cheaper. A 12 gauge can throw more shot. 20 gauge shells are cheaper and almost as effective. A 20 gauge is lighter.

My point is, nobody has a problem splitting these hairs in rifles and owning 10 or 20 different calibers. One for everything and two or three for most. I just find it curious that in the shotgun world most people are ok with just owning a light and a heavy. There's no demand for a medium. And even more curious that based on the commercial makers offerings there seems to be more demand for the 28ga and 410ga.

My grandfather always used a 16 gauge. For everything. A Remington model 48 sportsman that his dad ordered for him made to fit his small frame. He had two barrels for it: modified and full. It was the only shotgun he hunted with for 60 years. Dove, quail, ducks, geese. He never hunted deer or turkey. There weren't any here for the first 3/4 of his life and by then he was an old dog not interested in new tricks. So he'd just keep looking for quail in places they used to be. It's in my safe now. I guess he's why I'm sentimental about the 16.
The 28 ga and the 410 ga are both popular skeet loads. Thus you have a pretty fair demand for those two where the 16 isn't part of any matches that I'm aware of. When I used to shoot skeet quite a few of the long time shooters had the tube sets from Briley to shoot the 410, 28, 20 and 12 in one gun. I recall growing up that there was a 16 gauge in our family somewhere along the line but it disappeared many years back.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

mchughcb wrote:Good question. I like the 16G but have stuck with the 12G just because ammo is cheap and available everywhere.

Yep I wish the 16ga was at least moderately popular here, its a better option then 20ga for a lightweight gun that still packs game stopping punch.
I guess thats why its popular in drillings, stll has good killing power but cuts down on weight.
Would also be goose legal up here if you could get steel shot in it.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Shotguns”