Buckshot, size Vs Pattern.

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

SPEEDY

Buckshot, size Vs Pattern.

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm looking at trying some different Buckshot to suit a dual duty role. I've just picked up (or rather are about to) a coach gun as a knock around gun for chasing pigs, shooting ducks from a kayak and some fox whistling.
Its got dual 1/4 chokes so it should open up well but not too much be useless.
So I've been looking at buckshot, I've always used SSG about a 00 equilivent (18 pellet) but I figured that something like AAA 36gm or #4 buck (27 pellet) might have less holes in the pattern and give a bit more reach.
That way I can use it on Pigs and foxes and buy it in bulk to save, I will also buy a case of 42gm BB mini magnums for fox flushing and drives.

But what Buckshot do people use that give a consistent pattern for a bit more range?
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Bwtf

Re: Buckshot, size Vs Pattern.

Post by Bwtf »

My preference for 12g on feral pigs is AAA these days, which is out of a modified choke 28 inch tube pump gun or semi and gives me about 35m range with certainty. I think it gives the best combination of pattern and effectiveness. Last lot I used was a couple of cases of Diana AAA which pulled up most pigs with one shot and worked really well on foxes as well. I still have some SG to burn up but won't bother with getting them again.

For dedicated fox whistling I've been using BBs 36gram loads, though never tried the minimags. Been using a 20g sxs recently with 28g BBs and they pull them up pretty well within 30m as well, choked 1/4 and 3/4.
But 12g full choke gives me better range. I reckon with your chokes it should be pretty good to 40m on foxes.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Try the 42gm minimag's and a full choke for foxes, good for 60m.
But most if the whistling I do they come in to 20m or even once jumping on my backpack from behind.

Bwtf

Post by Bwtf »

I've had similar experiences with whistling, I started carrying the 20 as its light weight and shots are up close, I can also carry a light 223 / hmr for the reluctant foxes.

Probably the best excuse for a combination gun.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I was going to throw in some double .690 cal round ball loads, those things will really reach out and touch something.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I've never found it as simple as deciding on a size because each gun is unique in it's preferences. One manufacturers loading of 00 may pattern tight and another manufacturers loading of 00 might be full of holes and wide. My Ithica 37 16 gauge modified choke 26" barrel shot the Remington #1 buck load superbly. I once shot a whitetail buck at 60 yards with it and it placed all pellets in his chest in a nice round circle about 14" wide. I also had a 20" deerslayer barrel for it and that barrel shot the same load so wide I doubt more than one or two pellets would have hit the deer, the absolute max sure kill range was 25 yards with that barrel and load.

My Remington 870 Sure Shot Turkey will shoot the Hevi Shot #42213 frangible 00 Buck load so tight that it is just a coffee cup sized pattern at 25 yards. But it does this with a light modified choke, the full choke spreads the load everywhere and the modified is not much better. So if you want a wide pattern just use a tight choke and if you want a long range pattern use a light modified with this gun and ammo combo. Others are completely different. I really like those frangible buckshot loads as they will not ricochet and possibly wound other animals far beyond the target animal.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've found the flitecontrol wad likes less then a modified choke in guns.
I used to shoot imp/mod in the right barrel and mod in the left, the imp/mod used to blow the pattern just enough to make mod pattern and the mod choke shot a full pattern with steel shot.
With the flitecontrol wad I shot cyl right and imp/cyl left and could land killing shots on the really high Geese.
I tried imp and mod but the 2nd shot from the mod barrel never scored a hit with more then a couple of pellets.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

But I am going to pattern test the new gun with Remington 36gm AAA, Winchester #4 Buck, Winchester SSG, Winchester 00/SG Alphamax 36gm AAA and Diana 00/SG to see what it likes best.

Thats all I can get locally, I will also pattern test some Bushman 34gn BB's, Winchester super X 36gm BB, Remington 34gm BB and the minimag 42gm BB's.

I will also get some #2's to test and maybe some 36gm #4's to really throw a good long range bunny busting load that will roll foxes well too.

Most people say that #4 shot won't work on foxes but I pretty much used Falcon 34gm #4 shot loads for the longest time growing up, It was the cheapest shells my local carried as a kid.
Horrible on Roo's due to no stopping power but it peppered Rabbits, Hares and foxes.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

My experience shows that the wad is more important than the shot size with regard to patterns over 40 yards out. I like the flight control wad and have had excellent luck with it in modified chokes, and in fact is the first load I will try. I have also had good luck with #4 buck. Hornady sells loads with #4 buck and the flight control wad.

Return to “Shotguns”