Does the 20G make the 28G obselete for hunting?

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

SPEEDY

Re: Does the 20G make the 28G obselete for hunting?

Post by SPEEDY »

mchughcb wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:44 am Well I got 70mm #4 shot Eley VIP here in 32gr loads. So right up there with the light loads on the 12G. Might try that on the weekend.
Due to the reduction in bore diameter it should pattern like a 12ga 36gm load.
Smaller pattern but just as dense.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

SPEEDY wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:19 am
mchughcb wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:44 am Well I got 70mm #4 shot Eley VIP here in 32gr loads. So right up there with the light loads on the 12G. Might try that on the weekend.
Due to the reduction in bore diameter it should pattern like a 12ga 36gm load.
Smaller pattern but just as dense.
I wouldn't expect that a 20 gauge 32 gm load to pattern as well as a 12 ga 36 gm load. A square load for the 20 gauge is 7/8 oz and for the 12 ga is 1 1/8 oz. This is the point in which the shot column is theoretically as wide as it is long. The 20 ga 32 gram load is approximately 30% longer than the 12 ga load and therefore, will have more shot in contact with the barrel and all other things being equal, the same acceleration, thickness of shot cup protection, shot hardness, and so on, more shot will be deformed and leave the pattern prematurely.

This is of course theory, but in my pattern testing it has held pretty true, the most even patterns I've ever tested have been from a 2" 12 gauge British Double I once owned. The patterns almost looked like you decided the location of each pellet individually to obtain the optimum placement of each one. It was throwing 28 gauge loads but with a much shorter shot string from a light and fast pointing 12 bore.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I wonder if thats why 20ga shells pattern so nice and even through the 12ga chamber adaptors.
The patterns are so even and un clumped they look computer generated.
Although wide the pattern is so even.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I suppose that could be true, the shot would have less interaction with the barrel. I've never tried any shotgun adapters other than the Savage
four-ten-er which was pretty dismal I never patterned it, but on quail it was a 15 yard clean killer and a 20 yard crippler.
Robert J Stokes

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

mchughcb wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:47 am
Vaughan wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:14 am I've had a hankering for a 28ga sbs for a few years to use for willow grouse. My thinking being to get rid of my 12g since it never comes out of the safe since I bought my "Ladies gun" as my wife calls my 20g, and just have a 20 and a 28... I might, just because I want to, but the 20g takes everything from caper to pigeon. I don't hunt waterfowl so the 12 has become redundant.
I'd like something like this.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/773850814
Yep, she's a beauty :clap:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

That is a beauty and a great value at the price. I have never seen a Turkish shotgun that I would say that about before now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I have the box lock version in 20g made at the same factory and every blaserbud who has fired it loves it.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

I used to go up to Kansas 2-3 times a year for many years to hunt pheasants (and quail if we stumbled across them). The general consensus among pheasant hunters is you have use a 12 gauge and no smaller than #6 shot with #4 being preferred by many. What the hell ever. I took my old red label 12 for several years shooting high brass #4s and #6s. A few guys made fun of the #6s. I was just going to chase cripples all day according to them. We would carry #8 game loads to switch to if got into quail. The #6s seemed to kill them better to me. Then I tried 7.5s and killed the cocks just as good. Then tried a Browning Auto-5 Sweet Sixteen (love those) with 7.5s and killed just as many and killed them just as dead. Then I tried a Citori 20ga with 3” #6s and #7.5s and never could tell the difference. My conclusion was that 1-1/8oz or 1-1/4oz #7.5s are the perfect upland load regardless of gauge. Big enough for pheasants and throw a dense enough pattern for when you get into quail. And birds don’t know the difference between a 2.75” 16 gauge load or a 3” 20ga load or any big 12ga load.

But if you have to shoot steel shot on ducks like we did back when I was in college, you better stick to 12 gauge 3”max loads in at least #4 shot. That hevi-shot Bob talks about was new then and I couldn’t afford it so I never tried it. And then I quit duck hunting before I could afford it. But I always thought lead #6 or even 7.5 would be perfect for ducks if it were legal.

But back to the thread topic...I’ve never shot any living thing with a 28 gauge.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Steel shot wounds and wastes more then lead shot poisoning could have ever dreamed possible.

I used to love 7.5 trap loads for bunnies bolting from the ferrets.
I've also found that birds in flight drop to lead shot quite easily even lighter shot.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Vaughan wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:14 pm
Vaughan wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:14 am I've had a hankering for a 28ga sbs for a few years to use for willow grouse. My thinking being to get rid of my 12g since it never comes out of the safe since I bought my "Ladies gun" as my wife calls my 20g, and just have a 20 and a 28... I might, just because I want to, but the 20g takes everything from caper to pigeon. I don't hunt waterfowl so the 12 has become redundant.

This one ain't too shabby either.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101026061

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

There are some amazing Russian guns too, its not always the traditional makers or country's that make amazing guns.

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

Ed I’ve hunted pheasants every year for 24 years and all I’ve used is a 12 bore but I only use 32gram 7 and a half size shot and I’ve never had a problem

Last year my brother bought a 20 bore and I have to say I thought it killed every bit as good, maybe better than the 12 bore

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

I think it would be a very sad day if the 28 was not longer available because of the 20. Yes I do have a 20 ga and enjoy shooting it but would not mind a 28 and could think of an application or two where I would use it over the 20 in a hunting scenario.

Bottom line, though the versatility of a 12 can almost make you a one gun user, that denies the enjoyment and experience of shooting different cals in different configurations. Life is not all about pure practicalities, otherwise 95 % of out life choices would evaporate overnight.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That is one reason why people only ever use 12ga in Australia other then some eccentric individuals that use it just to be different.
Bit of a sgame and I could definitely become one of those eccentric people.
Although a 28ga could actually be even better, its even lighter, almost as flexible and ecen more eccentric.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

mchughcb wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:35 am
Vaughan wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:14 pm

This one ain't too shabby either.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101026061
Yeah, it was an Aya that I was sorely tempted to buy. As I tend to do, I bought another 'boo fly rod I also probably didn't need instead.... :doh:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Return to “Shotguns”