Does the 20G make the 28G obselete for hunting?

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

stokesrj

Re: Does the 20G make the 28G obselete for hunting?

Post by stokesrj »

As already pointed out, Beretta makes two frame sizes for their 686/687 over unders in 28 gauge. The “Baby” sized frame is indeed much lighter and narrower than the 20 gauge frame. Either size can be had for all the Silver grades but the Gold and Diamond (EELL) grades are only available in the Baby frame in 28 gauge.
Here in the US in some well heeled hunting cultures found mostly along the Florida/Georgia borders it is considered bad form to use anything larger than a 28 gauge gun. Preferably it should be a side by side of appropriate pedigree. In other words if you show up with a 28 gauge Ruger Red Label don’t expect anyone to think highly of your choice of guns.
I was once a guest at the Suzeena Plantation, more accurately my dog, Renegade Jack, who was at the time a Field Trial National Champion was invited and I was tolerated to accompany him. I brought my Gallyon and Sons 20 gauge side by side, a high quality hand made British bird gun choked cyl and mod. With it I made 12 consecutive kills on the flush. These are all wild birds, they flush fast, worlds apart from pen raised birds. I was very happy with my shooting that day but at the end of the hunt, the owner of the plantation said to me, “if you are ever invited back, bring a proper 28 or 410, you shoot to well to be using such a big gun.

That was the first time I had ever herd of a 20 being referred to as a big gun. It was just plane and simple SNOB talk. That Gallyon and Sons is a very trim side by side with thin walled barrels weighing in at 5.2 lbs.it is much lighter than many 28 gauge guns.

To the point of this thread, I do not believe the 28 gauge will ever come close to replacing the 20 gauge. It is inferior in every way. A 20 gauge will throw heavier loads, pattern better, it used far cheaper and plentiful ammunition, and can be built into very trim and light guns. A 5 lb or under 28 gauge is not pleasant to shoot. It’s recoil thrust is greater than a standard weight 12 gauge with light loads.
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Thanks Bob, just what I expected.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

A 20 gauge is perfect for upland birds. A 12 is better for waterfowl and turkeys. A 16 is good for everything.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Yet the 16 is the least popular of the common gauge guns, I've never even seen a modern one.
In Australia the 12ga is king and is used for everything, the 20ga is a niche market and the 28ga is pretty much women and kids only use on clays.
The 410 is the biggest seller after the 12ga despite its many limitations, fun bunny gun and an old farm favorite snake gun but not much more.

I've not always but more recently come to appreciate at least the idea of the 16ga, it can keep up with 12ga in a lighter package but has way more punch on bigger stuff then the 20ga.
The only place I've sern or noticed a 10ga is in the territory for a small fan base of geese shooters, but ive also seen the same pile of ammunition in the LGS only shrink a little over the last two seasons I was there.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Anyone take a 20g to the goose swamps?

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Never, I've never seen or heard if anyone using one.

I'm sure its happened and actually it would be pretty nice to shoot geese on the farms with where shots are only 30m at most and you might shoot 200 rounds in a morning, well my record was a 250 round brick and I had to borrow another box to finish the morning.
A 20ga would gave left my shoulder in much better condition.
The swamps but, 40m is a close shot and 60m up is pretty common, then again I've passed up birds 60m above fir being too high and had people 50-100m besides me try and hit them. :naughty:
Its the wild west at times, but the 20 would be laughed at by most people despite being capable on the less extreme shots.
But I've seen more 10ga steel then 20ga, I've only seen one brand and load on offer and floor stock never seemed to rotate.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Bwtf

Post by Bwtf »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:46 am Anyone take a 20g to the goose swamps?
Yeah, I did. When i still lived up there. It was in the years after steel was introduced and It was still permitted that lead could be used in smaller gauges than 12. 20g lead bb's could be as effective as some steel loads.it went alright but I had to stop using it after a couple of seasons when steel was required, as my gun was not steel proof and had fixed chokes.

Chamois71

Post by Chamois71 »

115003FE-7313-40D5-81C7-11AD17247B95.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"That if you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on the animal’s terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always recapture the day." —R.Ruark

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Nice.

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Bwtf wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:35 am
Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:46 am Anyone take a 20g to the goose swamps?
Yeah, I did. When i still lived up there. It was in the years after steel was introduced and It was still permitted that lead could be used in smaller gauges than 12. 20g lead bb's could be as effective as some steel loads.it went alright but I had to stop using it after a couple of seasons when steel was required, as my gun was not steel proof and had fixed chokes.

Though not enough for geese, gamebore now makes a steel load that can be shot through guns not steel proofed. Essentially as long as it’s no more than mod lead your ok. Shot size however is no 4 steel max.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Thats interesting but all mine are steel proofed anyway.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I've had a hankering for a 28ga sbs for a few years to use for willow grouse. My thinking being to get rid of my 12g since it never comes out of the safe since I bought my "Ladies gun" as my wife calls my 20g, and just have a 20 and a 28... I might, just because I want to, but the 20g takes everything from caper to pigeon. I don't hunt waterfowl so the 12 has become redundant.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

I thought a 20 gauge with 3 inch chambers was getting close to a 16 gauge ??
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Well I got 70mm #4 shot Eley VIP here in 32gr loads. So right up there with the light loads on the 12G. Might try that on the weekend.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Vaughan wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:14 am I've had a hankering for a 28ga sbs for a few years to use for willow grouse. My thinking being to get rid of my 12g since it never comes out of the safe since I bought my "Ladies gun" as my wife calls my 20g, and just have a 20 and a 28... I might, just because I want to, but the 20g takes everything from caper to pigeon. I don't hunt waterfowl so the 12 has become redundant.
I'd like something like this.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/773850814

Return to “Shotguns”