20ga slugs

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

Oscar
Meister der jagd

20ga slugs

Post by Oscar »

Am looking for opinions on what you find the best slugs to use in a 20 ga. Am not looking for long range potential just experience on which brands group better and ones that you just never had luck with. Application, large deer. Rifle tube is 9.3x74r so the slug is more of a quick follow up at shorter ranges (<60m).

stokesrj

Re: 20ga slugs

Post by stokesrj »

If you search my posts on the BD14 you will see I tested a lot of different slugs. I was expecting the RWS to do the best based upon other 20 gauge shotguns I had tested. The best performing slug was the Winchester standard Forster type followed by the Federal Powerball. The worst was the Remington high velocity.
Robert J Stokes

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

stokesrj wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 am If you search my posts on the BD14 you will see I tested a lot of different slugs. I was expecting the RWS to do the best based upon other 20 gauge shotguns I had tested. The best performing slug was the Winchester standard Forster type followed by the Federal Powerball. The worst was the Remington high velocity.

Interesting read Bob. I would have also thought the same about the RWS....but just goes to show shotguns, just as rimfires, have their own mind.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I have Remington but havent fired them yet.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Remington makes two different 20 gauge Forster slugs, one is a heavier standard velocity SP20RS, the other is a lighter high velocity SPHV20RS. The standard velocity shot ok, the high velocity shot absolutely horrible from my BD14.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I was thinking about a 20ga for slug and shot to save whats left of my shoulder.
I was thinking about loading the Lyman Diablo shaped slugs, they seem like a great shape for accuracy and being longer then the 12ga version I could see them as both more accurate and better penetration.

Thats a guess but then so is every thing else, as its been said 20ga slugs ir 12ga for that matter arelaw unto themselves, every barrel will like what it likes and what was outstanding in one could be crap in another thats the same model gun.

It comes down to buying every brand that you can get your hand on and seeing what works.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Well finally got my act together and was able to order in some S&B slugs. I tried them in my drilling today.

The good news, at 60m the right barrel put three rounds into 3 inch group. The left barrel, put three into a 4 inch group...so good enough for intent game at the desired range.

Bad news, the right barrel shoot 4 inch to the right and 3 inch’s low from where the 9.3 shoots at 60m

The really bad news, the left barrel shoots about 7 in low at 60m and about 2 inch the the left of where the 9.3 shoots.

So chances of both shotgun tubes being regulated was faint at best but I can regulate the 9.3 tube the come closer to the right tube for the shotgun so that will allow for a quick follow up at close range if required.

Note I was planning to post some pictures but let’s just say one slug dropped a little lower than expected from the left barrel and performed a perfect Yorker on the target frame and board which basically ruined the paper target :doh: ....

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Got to admire your persistence.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That's always the trouble with most double shotguns, regulation isn't a priority and near enough is good enough.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

My BBF 20 barrels only like premium Euro slugs. RWS Rottweil etc. my BD14 is the opposite. Least expensive Winchester’s are the only thing it groups with. Remington are not bad ether. Buy them at Wal Mart 15 in a box.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Return to “Shotguns”