Three Barrel Shotguns

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

Oscar
Meister der jagd
kuchnie na wymiar kraków nowoczesnekuchnie

Re: Three Barrel Shotguns

Post by Oscar »

So after a little more investigation on both the 12 and 20 there is about 300/400grams difference depending on the model.

So what does that mean? Well that type of weight gun is usually used in trap where you will be standing in one spot for a period of time shooting heaps of shells and the extra weight helps with absorbing recoil. However it usually comes with 32in barrel which makes the longer shots easier though it does require extra umph to get the gun speed up the additional weigh assists with momentum and follow through. Unfortunately I think both the 12 and 20 only come in 28in.

So if you are looking for a gun to sit in a duck blind then all good but as a walk upland game gun, with shells etc it’s heavier than what I would prefer. I can see the attractiveness of a 20 but as I noted above I could live with a 12.

The application of the gun with the longer barrels which I think would be ideal would be over decoys. Using steel shot I would suggest skeet and I/c for barrels one and two and then either a model or improved modified for the third.

Good luck with the search and hope to see you with it in the rice fields!

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

20g also comes in 26" which according to the uk reviews will be better than 28" as it puts balance closer to the hinge pin.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

The 12ga also comes in a 20" that I rather liked and almost bought one.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

mchughcb wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:28 pm
20g also comes in 26" which according to the uk reviews will be better than 28" as it puts balance closer to the hinge pin.
It’s a common problem with 10 ga and no doubt the 3 barrels. To get the better performance you want longer barrels but with that you get extra ordinary front heavy guns. All of this is manageable but to my mind somewhere between 20 and 12 with a 3 to 3.2 kg gun with 30in tubes is the sweet spot where everything comes together for the shotgunner with a double barrel.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Contacted the uk importer and well see if he can put me onto a retailer that exports.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Good luck with it, should be great on your fox drives.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Thats the plan

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Oscar wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:05 pm
mchughcb wrote:
It’s a common problem with 10 ga and no doubt the 3 barrels. To get the better performance you want longer barrels but with that you get extra ordinary front heavy guns. All of this is manageable but to my mind somewhere between 20 and 12 with a 3 to 3.2 kg gun with 30in tubes is the sweet spot where everything comes together for the shotgunner with a double barrel.

There's a 12g 3.5" but probably too heavy.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Get a 20ga Adler, even more shots, and it's a street sweeping killing machine apparently. :lol:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Nobody did well with adlers in our shooting party, even after two years of trying. Not even close to what I did with the silver pigeon. If anything it will be a veloce but we'll see.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

The turkish factory got back to me and said try chiappa in Italy. Well thats going nowhere so i think i have a plan that is pretty simple now.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Oscar wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:05 pm
mchughcb wrote:
If it was only for ducks over decoys then a few lead sinkers in the stock screw hole would bring the balance back to the butt, and soak up the recoil of 3” magnum steel

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:30 pm
If it was only for ducks over decoys then a few lead sinkers in the stock screw hole would bring the balance back to the butt, and soak up the recoil of 3” magnum steel
Can't use these for Duck hunting, nothing with more than 2 barrels allowed. :handgestures-thumbup:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

TheoR8 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:21 pm
Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:30 pm
Can't use these for Duck hunting, nothing with more than 2 barrels allowed. :handgestures-thumbup:
Yet I can take the Adler and crack away 5 shots no worries, stupid rule.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Looks like its all sorted. Ill pay deposit friday and hopefully get it by February. Looks like the F16 might have to wait. Going to be one of those oddball hunti g guns but the difference is it will be used every week god willing.

Return to “Shotguns”