12G versus 20G for Fox Hunting?

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

mchughcb

12G versus 20G for Fox Hunting?

Post by mchughcb »

To keep things interesting I managed to shoot the whole season with the 20G. Affectionately known as the "popgun" to everyone else using a 12G and 42grams of BBs. I was mainly shooting the Clever Mirage 1oz #3 loads. These are not foxes coming into the whistle, they are normally running flat out and away from me. I don't like small sample sizes to start making generalizations about the effectiveness of the 20G.

Well after one full season the results are in.
Fox_Hunter.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olsen

Re: 12G versus 20G for Fox Hunting?

Post by Olsen »

If you make a good shot, 20G is as good as 12G, but if you make a bad shot, they are both manure :whistle:

I shot a lot of geese, fox and some reedier, with my 20G, no problem at all :clap:
Olsen

Blaser R8 Proff Succes .308 win - 9,3x62

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Exactly right. And I had a bit of pre-season practice on the clays which helped. The 20G also causes me less fatigue when I'm carrying it for 6-8 hours. I have overcome my phobia of the 20G not being powerful enough and concentrated more on placement and pattern density and it seems to be working.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I also like #3 shot for foxes, you get fuller patterns and IMO better hits, doesn't hit them as hard but dead is dead.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Shotguns”