GB slug review.

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

SPEEDY

GB slug review.

Post by SPEEDY »

Thought I'd do a quick write up on these really good and cheap 1oz slugs.
15538681881670.jpg
I shot them out of my Adler with a 1-4 Leupold spot hog scope and an imp/cyl choke.
15538687037914.jpg
At when I got it dialed in it printed 3 rounds touching, I was stumped, but another 3 and it did it again.
15538687347085.jpg
I think the design of the slug being longer then the US offerings makes it more front heavy, the wad stays attached and that must help as well.
15538682839963.jpg
15538682608042.jpg
Anyway I put 3 into a knot in a tree at 65m and they pretty much stacked up again.
15538687648606.jpg
Then I dug out an old bit of cardboard and took it to 100m and thought I'd give it a go, it turns out the 1st shot was low, but I aimed up to the bottom of the circle and it put them into about 3" so its definitely a good choice for deer now.
15538687907767.jpg
All in all this is a pretty damn good combination for a smooth bore, I think that due to the fondness for rifled barreled shotguns in the states all the really serious development went into sabot slugs.
Europeans tend to use only smooth bore guns so their slugs are designed to work in smooth bores and they make some great products.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Vaughan

Re: GB slug review.

Post by Vaughan »

You shot a 3" group with slugs at 100m? I've no experience at all but that seems pretty impressive to me.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Most rifled barrel sabot slugs won't do any better at 100 yards, I had to really try a lot of different loads in my heavy profile rifled and pinned barrel 870. But once I found the right combination it will shoot a little better than that. For a smooth bore I don't think I've ever seen better.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I haven't and I think its bullshit, only I was there.
I'm more impressed with getting any group like that with my eyes and a 4x scope.
A big storm blew in so I couldn't do much more testing but I definitely want to try some more 100m shots as it had to be a fluke, but I know from the 50m testing that it is unbelievably accurate at that range so further testing is definitely on the cards.

I want to try and film a group next week if the weather holds out, have to put some cameras out for the Rut too.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

The fellow Blaserbud in Japan would definitely be interested in this ammo....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm thinking of buying a Dickinson T1000 and giving them a go in it, bough 10 more boxes of it the other day so it should last me a while, I'm also giving some .690 round ball another go, I'm loading them hotter and going to try some different wad heights with felt.
Even trying some with the over powder and shot cup trimmed into two separate pieces with a half inch or so of felt as a spacer.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Looks good

Any idea who the importer is? I need another box of slugs for my old BRNO BBF

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

No sorry, but it must be one of the big ones if my local is selling it.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Who is your local?

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:00 pm Looks good

Any idea who the importer is? I need another box of slugs for my old BRNO BBF
Importer. :handgestures-thumbup:
https://www.facebook.com/outdoortradingco/

Would be good if we could get these one's imported. :handgestures-thumbup:
https://www.cartuchosgb.com/interior-pr ... a-brenneke

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Had a go with some RB today then tested some BB's to check the POA, and they are a winner, at 25 yards the pattern was dead on, maybe slightly low but not by much.

The RB all were printing right of POI except for the last loads that were shorter and won't feed so they are a no go despite being the most accurate.
But here's the pattern at 25 yards and the 2nd best RB load at 50m
This gun is a bit of a shooter.
15541094777980.jpg
15541095809391.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

SPEEDY wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:09 am I'm thinking of buying a Dickinson T1000 and giving them a go in it, bough 10 more boxes of it the other day so it should last me a while, I'm also giving some .690 round ball another go, I'm loading them hotter and going to try some different wad heights with felt.
Even trying some with the over powder and shot cup trimmed into two separate pieces with a half inch or so of felt as a spacer.
I have used the T1000. I like them. I think a better buy than the adler. But everyone that has hunted with one on small game was outclassed by a silver pigeon or blaser F16.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

It's a slug th8ng for me, I love my doubles but if I want to throw solid lead then a single barrel is the best.

I've got a soft spot now for slugs, well two if you count my shoulder damn they can hurt.
I should probably switch to a 20ga but finding anything in 20ga other then a double is tough, but I do like my 20ga inserts for less kick and surprisingly good patterns.

I want to get some that stay in for shooting clays etc, but they don't seem to make them anymore.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Chiappa still makes a 12ga to 20 adapter that stays in the barrel, other calibers as well in both 12 and 20 host.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jnM7IEYujw
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That's worth getting.

Just checked I can get them locally, not cheap but a lot cheaper then a new gun.
I'm actually going to get my Baikal single barrel cut down to 20"-24" and threaded for Mobil chokes so I can make it a lot more flexible, a 20ga adaptor and probably a 22lr one too will definitely add to that and the Mobil chokes will let me shoot slugs out of it too.
Along with the black powder adapter it makes it a great little versitile fun gun to play with and a great little meat getter and camp gun. :handgestures-thumbup:

Return to “Shotguns”