Lengthen Forcing Cones?

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

SPEEDY
kuchnie na wymiar kraków nowoczesnekuchnie

Lengthen Forcing Cones?

Post by SPEEDY »

Lengthen Forcing Cones are they worth doing?

I was thinking about buying a reamer lengthen the forcing cones and extend 2 3/4 chambe4s to 3" but I don't know if there 8s any real gain to it.
Does it help any with guns with fixed chokes?

I'm sort of leaning towards getting a reamer and tap to install chokes anyway but I saw this as well and thought maybe it's with doing this too.

Now I'm starting to sort out my workshop a bit I was thinking it would be fun to just pull out all the stops, it cost as much to buy the gear to do it as it does to pay someone to do it one gun so why not go nutts with it.

I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Re: Lengthen Forcing Cones?

Post by stokesrj »

I think that lengthened forcing cones aids in recoil slightly but not enough to notice unless you are a competitive shooter firing hundreds of rounds a day. Then the cumulative effect is reduced noticeably. As far as shot patterns go, it can reduce damaged shot keeping some from leaving the patten but more around the edges of the pattern. I haven’t seen it aid pattern density or distribution within the core of the pattern. But I have had only one shotgun with this done to it and seen a few friends do so.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

It does seem to be only a minor improvement of about 5% or so.
I just wonder if there's truth to the hype, I can understand it in principle but practicable there's no major gain.

I'd probably be better off in investing in choke reamers and taps.

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

SPEEDY wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:03 am
It does seem to be only a minor improvement of about 5% or so.
I just wonder if there's truth to the hype, I can understand it in principle but practicable there's no major gain.

I'd probably be better off in investing in choke reamers and taps.
Agree with that conclusion. Many of the additional improvements included are in them are worthwhile in competition not so much in the field ( unless you are talking pigeon shooting etc where 100 plus rounds are gone through in the day). However, when you are shooting 150 plus rounds in a day, a few 5% improvements does significantly reduce fatigue levels.

Af300e

Post by Af300e »

And if the bores are chrome, you’ll be stripping it out where you machine

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

The thing that gets me is read all the great improvements it does, how less deformed pellets means better patterns, but nobody does a before and after pattern.
I've seen improvements in patterns when barrels are back bored, but never with lengthened forcing cones.

That makes me very suspicious.

Return to “Shotguns”