Spring Turkey Season

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

stokesrj
kuchnie na wymiar kraków nowoczesnekuchnie

Spring Turkey Season

Post by stokesrj »

Dusted off my Remington 870 Super Mag and checked it for pattern at 40 yards. The spring Turkey Season opens here in Arizona two weeks from today. I don't know why I check; it is alway on but I just have to know. Anyway at 40 yards with a .662" extended choke tube and HeviShot Magnum Blend #5,6 and 7 shot from a 3 1/2" shell and payload of 2 1/4 oz it pretty well clobers them at 40 yards. This is with it's 20" turkey barrel and Aimpoint H1 micro red dot. I just shot the one shot, that and the one I shoot the gobbler with is all I should need to shoot this year, or want to shoot. It clobbers at both ends.
fullsizeoutput_3d67.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Re: Spring Turkey Season

Post by SPEEDY »

I never got the need for 3.5" shell's for a 40 yard shot on a bird.
But it's your shoulder, not mine. :lol:

But it is one damn effective pattern.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

You can kill a turkey at 40 yards with a 410 using Tungsten Polymer shot. All it takes is one shot in the head or neck. Even #4 lead shot will not penetrate their feathers at 40 yards so it is required that you hit them in the head and neck. I just like to hit them hard :)
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I was actually thinking about applying the principles of turkey shooting to goose shooting before I left the territory.
I was thinking a 3" she'll with 36gm of #4 shot might be the go, aim for the head area and if the pattern is thick enough then you will smack their heads and not have pellets stuck in the body.
I might try that one year.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Shotguns”