Smooth Bore Riffled Slugs

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

stokesrj

Smooth Bore Riffled Slugs

Post by stokesrj »

Spring Turkey Season is around the corner and I was just out pattern testing my turkey gun which is a Remington 870 Supermag 3 1/2" 12 Gauge with a 20" barrel. I had just installed an Aimpoint H1 Micro Red Dot sight so to sight it in I bought a box of the cheapest slugs that Walmart carried, Federal Power-Shok 1 oz rifled slugs at $10 for a box of 15. The thought process is that if I sight it in with the slugs then the pattern should be centered around that and it was. But boy was I surprised how accurate this thing is with these cheap slugs.
Using an Improved Cylinder choke tube at 50 yards it was shooting all shots touching. This pic is the final three shot group before I moved to the turkey tube and Hevi Shot.
2019-04-16_16-58-24-0700.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Re: Smooth Bore Riffled Slugs

Post by SPEEDY »

Gotta like it when that happens, I've had great luck with rifled slugs too.
Has me wondering about some of the bad groups you see with smoothbore shotguns if it's the gun or slugs that aren't very accurate or the nutt behind the but has been shaken loose by them. :lol:

But more importantly how's the shot pattern?
I've had some slugs shoot center of the pattern and a few that when zeroed for slugs would shoot the pattern quite a bit to the left.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

This one is dead on, the shot pattern is perfectly centered over the slug group. But I can see that it could be very different. A 1 oz slug at 1600 FPS or a 2 1/4 oz shot steam at 1200 FPS May do very different things to a barrel as they travel down the bore.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

When it works out it's awesome, I think most of the time it will work out, it was mostly my round balls that went far right of the pattern, and one brand of slugs.
I actually like scoping my shotguns now appear from birds and bunnies up close.
Works great on foxes and game that size with a low power scope, you can really determine exactly where you want that center of the Patten to go.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

When it works out it's awesome, I think most of the time it will work out, it was mostly my round balls that went far right of the pattern, and one brand of slugs.
I actually like scoping my shotguns now appart from birds and bunnies up close.
Works great on foxes and game that size with a low power scope, you can really determine exactly where you want that center of the Patten to go.

Return to “Shotguns”