Tungsten Alloy Shot

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

p3t3rsn

Re: Tungsten Alloy Shot

Post by p3t3rsn »

stokesrj wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 pm I’ve only seen one Sauer SL5 so don’t know that much about them except it is a nicely made and handsome gun. The inertia system looks to be straight Benelli so should be proven, however I tend to wait and watch for a design to have some miles on it before I buy one. I went with an M2 only because it is well proven but it is not a gun I love, it is just a workhorse gun I don’t mind dragging through the muck and mire on down and dirty hunts.
Exactly what I was looking to know, much appreciated.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I blame Bob for getting me into this :lol:

https://youtu.be/K1X1HpW6YC4

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Wow! You got quite a stash going there, good for you. We help one another that way, I am getting a wicked edge Gen 3 because of you.
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Lol you already cost me a BD14 :lol:

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

6CF7CA19-5BB8-4C65-9D9D-0E40A21D5A8B.jpeg
25C3C1FE-01C6-4139-81DF-72AC0C8DC91C.jpeg
Finally have my #4 TSS loads from Apex for coyote calling. In a good year I will shoot 3-5 coyotes so I doubt I will go broke but they are a bit spendy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I have the same load, also in 4 and 2 TSS. I think the 2 are overkill and #4 just right for coyotes, sufficient penetration and pattern density for 70 yard + shots.
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

stokesrj wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:33 pm I have the same load, also in 4 and 2 TSS. I think the 2 are overkill and #4 just right for coyotes, sufficient penetration and pattern density for 70 yard + shots.
Can’t wait to field test on a coyote. I also have some # 9 for Turkey.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Well I tested BB and F shot on Friday. I"m not sure what happened with the F shot at 70m but at 70m the 26 gram load of BB was a good pattern.

https://youtu.be/VJEwajQbuZ0

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Well done Charles. The quest continues. :)

From the feed back in this thread, BB would be plenty for pigs and small deer, and for those targets even BB may be bigger than needed.

Your results with F and OO confirm my limited experience with OO lead, in that it is useless unless inside 25yards, and even that close, the pattern is so poor that I won't use it again. The F may perform better in 12G, but why bother ?

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I am not really doing anything except shove TSS into lead cartridges with some wrapping and roll crimping. I"m keen to explore potentially using some steel 20 gauge rounds with the TPS wads which may ensure a better pattern. It was so dark by the time I got to 70m who knows where the shot was going and I also don't know the impact of the choke.

The BB was definately patterning alright though at 70m and to be honest it was suprising. If I could bump the load up to a 36 or 42 gram load in the 12 gauge I think you are going to see very reasonable patterns at that range.

Anyway I'll do some more experimenting as I've got enough shot to play with. I have sent some TSS to Wad Rush at Bubbaroundtreeoutdoors youtube channel who does a lot of work on buckshot for deer hunting in 12 and 20 gauge. He's a master of the reloading shotguns and expect to see him testing in the next month or so with his expertise.

UPEgger

Post by UPEgger »

Coming to the party late.....My comments on Coyote calling with TSS and duck hunting with TSS. I switched from 2.25oz nickel plated BB in my Browning Gold 10ga semi about 4 years ago. I loaded up 10lbs of 2.0oz #4TSS and 10lbs of #2TSS. As most of my shots are inside of 50yards the kills did not become "spectacular". Just Dead. I then laid off coyote calling for 2 years. My hunting partner passed and it just was not fun anymore. Got busy 60 days ago and loaded up some 12ga loads of #2TSS and some #4TSS went to the pattern board. Wound up using cylinder choke. The shotgun is now a Beretta A400 Xtrem Plus left hand. Even with cylinder choke the patterns were almost 100% at 40 yards. I have only been out calling two times in the last three weeks. Both of these outings I did not start until around l:30PM and went till sundown. Other commitments had prevented me from going out. Anyway I made 14 stands in the two days. Called in 8 coyotes and killed 6. Did not get a shot at either of the two. They were 70 to 80 yard trailers and when they saw what happened to their mate they burnt a U and left. Both #2 and #4 TSS seemed to have the same deadly effect. So I compromised and ordered out 10lbs of #3TSS from Hawglips. I have not loaded that up yet as I still have quite a few 12ga loads of TSS on hand.

I have been using #7TSS and #7.5TSS for duck this season. Mostly mallards. We jump shoot them out of the irrigation drain ditches. Kind of like flushing/ shooting giant bobwhite. These ditches are approx 20 to 30 ft deep and about 20/25 yards across at the top. We spot them with binoculars quite some distance and then put the sneak their location. The load is 1.25oz of TSS and velocity is about 1200. TSS does NOT need speed. My partner and I shot approximately 95+ mallards. Also a few teal...about 6 I think. I threw in a couple of 28ga duck hunts during the season. 3/4oz of #8TSS @ around 1200fps. Beretta A400- 28ga. I.C. choke. All shots were under 45yards and mostly going away. We did NOT find any TSS pellets in any duck all season. As most were up the butt shots.... it says a LOT about TSS Penetration.

Carl L.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Thanks Carl. That sounds impressive. I'll be testing mine hopefully in the next 3 weeks on foxes.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

40 yards, TSS #7 put 4 pellets through the skull and 2 through the nose.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

35 yards, TSS #7 penetrated the chest cavity. I found one pellet stuck in the skin on the opposite side.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

My first turkey hunt this year was on the San Carlos Apache Reservation and it resulted in a 37 yard shot at a three year old Merriams tom with my 20 gauge Benelli Ultralight using a 1 5/8 oz Apex #9 TSS load through a Rob Roberts .560" choke. Quite frankly almost any turkey load will do at this range but the TSS was decisive. I also got to try out that same load on a big male coyote that attacked my turkey decoy and it just annihilated him.
Benelli 20 ga UL APEX #9 TSS.jpeg
Benelli UL 20 after forcing cone lengthen.jpeg
IMG_2906.jpeg
IMG_2920.jpeg
IMG_2953.jpeg
IMG_2946.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Shotguns”