Tungsten Alloy Shot

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

mchughcb

Re: Tungsten Alloy Shot

Post by mchughcb »

Nice one Bob. Did you get both shots on the shotkam?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

No ShotKam, my friend I lent it to has grown overly fond of it.
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Beautiful gobbler congratulations.The Avian X decoys are awesome but a pain to carry around but when you see real turkeys respond to them it is worth it. Kentucky opens the 17th and Ohio the 19th I can’t wait. I have my TSS shells ready to go for my 12 gauge and my 20 so I hope I get my BD14 back in time from Blaser.
Matt

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Good luck

p3t3rsn

Post by p3t3rsn »

Bob, congrats on a great hunt! With the impressive performance from the Benelli 20 gauge with TSS, could you see yourself just running the Ultralight as your sole hunting shotgun?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I'm seriously considering just that, I shoot the ultralight really well, and for dove and quail shooting 7/8 oz lead loads it does a great job. For turkey it is good out to 60 yards with the #9 TSS and is doing great on coyotes with #4 TSS. Even for Sandhill cranes over decoys I have no doubt that it will do great using#9 or #8 TSS. The only area of concern is for ducks. It would be great over decoys or if I were shooting TSS. But I shoot a lot of ducks and move to steel shot because of the volume. There I want the bigger payload of my 12ga. I plan to use the 20ga some this coming year with Black Cloud #3 steel and #7 TSS combination loads and see how it does. I just left it with the gunsmith to get it Cerakoted Armors Black to cut the glint.
Robert J Stokes

p3t3rsn

Post by p3t3rsn »

Thanks Bob.

Would welcome hearing more of future hunts and the Ultralight’s field performance. This many actually solve my shotgun battery dilemma. I have been making a concentrated effort to downsize my gun battery over the past few years. Rifles was fairly easy, but I have been struggling with shotguns. I do not shoot large volume of ducks, but I do enjoy numerous grouse hunts. This may solve it, an 20ga Ultralight for all hunting plus my incoming F3 for sporting clays. Almost seems too good to be true.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I'll keep you posted. I also shoot a 12 ga over/under for sporting clays. But even then, I shot my local 12 station 48 trap, 100 round coarse multiple times alternating between my DT11 and my Ultralight and much to my surprise shot the same scores with each. That is what convinced me to focus on this little shotgun. I had no expectation that it would keep up with the DT11 with it's seemingly whippy weight and 24" barrels vs 30" on my DT11.
Robert J Stokes

p3t3rsn

Post by p3t3rsn »

stokesrj wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:09 pm ...I shot my local 12 station 48 trap, 100 round coarse multiple times alternating between my DT11 and my Ultralight and much to my surprise shot the same scores with each. That is what convinced me to focus on this little shotgun. I had no expectation that it would keep up with the DT11 with it's seemingly whippy weight and 24" barrels vs 30" on my DT11.
That is shockingly impressive :shock:

p3t3rsn

Post by p3t3rsn »

I really need to stop hanging out on these forums, it gets expensive. The suspense of knowing more about the Benelli Ultralight was too much. Found one with surprisingly well laid out grain a few provinces over and ordered it. Here next week and can’t wait to try it. Bob, sending you the bill 😂

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

One of the largest male foxes I've seen for a while. Was dead at 35 yards before it hit the deck. The TSS #7 pellets went straight through its skull.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Clean kill, that’s what we strive for. Well done.
Robert J Stokes

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Nice shooting mate and I love the pups enthusiasm .
Thanks for sharing

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Smoked him good and proper. Well done. :handgestures-thumbup:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I will be posting #9 &#10 TSSshot on ducks at duck opening. With the bag limit increased to 5 expect to see some action

Return to “Shotguns”