Bend or adjustable comb?

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

SPEEDY

Bend or adjustable comb?

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm talking with a local Smith that has a lot of experience with shotguns. I've found that I'm shooting a bit to the left with my silver hawk and I want to fit this gun perfectly for me.
I'm trying to decide if I should have the stock bent at the pistol grip or if I should have an adjustable comb made on it.
Anyone got any thoughts about which way to go? Bear in mind I'm not concerned with resale value only with its style and functionality.
I want it to be the perfect gun for me.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: Bend or adjustable comb?

Post by 9.3x64 »

I have had a shotgun grip bent before and it has been a total success. I was told by several people that it would eventually come back a little, but after 12 years it has not moved a bit.
Mine was done buy an old stock maker in Victoria, I cannot remember his name but he was very experienced and a decent bloke. He did the job for nothing. He had done it before many times throughout his career and was totally confident it would work.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

This bloke has done it more then a few times before, he would actually recommend I send it to another bloke if I want an adjustable comb put on it, but he is happy to bend it.
I was worried about an adjustable comb ruining the look of the gun, and bending it if it works would solve the problem and not change how it looks.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

SPEEDY wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:58 pm This bloke has done it more then a few times before, he would actually recommend I send it to another bloke if I want an adjustable comb put on it, but he is happy to bend it.
I was worried about an adjustable comb ruining the look of the gun, and bending it if it works would solve the problem and not change how it looks.
Deerhunter338mag had his comb bent and fitted for him. Works perfectly and looks the part....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

This is the 1976 Merkel I had bent 12 years ago. It was cast for a right hand shooter but is now cast for a left hand shooter.
As you can see it certainly has not ruined the aesthetics of the gun at all and it still looks original.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Bending and adjustable comb are to fix two different problems ( though a bent stock will kinda do both). If the comb height is right, then bend. If however it’s a couple of issues you might need both. However because of a certain individuals frame, I saw a stock that had not only a bend and adjustable comb, but for good measure a twist in the recoil pad!

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Bending might be the go then, keep it looking the same, it points perfectly for me other then I have to roll my head a bit to get it shooting where I want.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I don't like the looks of an adjustable comb, but I like the functionality. However, since I've been using an adjustable comb on my R8 and my Beretta DT11 I don't think I will ever go back to a fixed stock, even if it fit me perfectly. Since I've moved here to Arizona, I've lost 65 pounds and had to adjust my combs to keep me shooting on target. That isn't critical or is less critical for a rifle but for a shotgun, that fit is everything. I'm regularly breaking high 80s on the sporting clays range now and it is impossible to do that with a gun that doesn't fit perfectly. At least for me it's not possible.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I hadn't thought of that, I've dropped 13kg (28lbs) and still have another 10kg to go, that might affect a bend to the stock.
An adjustable comb might be better unless I can get the stock bent again if less weight makes more problems.

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

Bend. :handgestures-thumbup:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Bend it. Im happy with mine :handgestures-thumbup:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

The 1st time I've wanted to bend my wood to the side. :whistle:

But it shouldn't take much of a bend to get it right, might look at the overall fit and get it fully customised to me.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

SPEEDY wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:40 am The 1st time I've wanted to bend my wood to the side. :whistle:

But it shouldn't take much of a bend to get it right, might look at the overall fit and get it fully customised to me.
That's the best way to do it. I had my F16 made to fit me. I'm still getting use to it with this lockdown bullshit but I'm more than happy with it.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I don't think it matters how you get there as long as the fit is correct. I had a tri-gun fitting by William Larken and Moore and then a custom stock made to those dimensions for one of my Berettas by Cole's, I shot that gun very well. So, if my body is going to be stable then a bent or fitted fixed stock would be preferable, I much prefer the esthetics. However, I will add one other small advantage to the adjustable comb side of the equation. That is that the adjustable comb can be adjusted in minute increments for fine tuning. Again this is less important for a rifle, as long as you can center your eye on the axis of the scope with a firm cheek weld your are good for a rifle. But for a shotgun where mounting it consistently, exactly the same each time, even 1/16th of an inch matters. And I have found that the pattern board is the only way to insure your pattern is centered or placed the proper amount high that you desire, such as 60/40 or 70/30 if you are shooting rising birds predominantly. Just aligning the eye with the rib will not yield as many hits vs misses on fast moving targets.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

This gun has fixed chokes supposedly 1/4 & 1/4 but it actually measures out at 1/4 & light/mod so it's perfect for ducks and geese.
It's also able to put 4 shots of 1oz slug under 4" at 50 yards using both barrels so it's pretty accurate too.
It just shoots slugs and patterns a few inches to the left, and I shoot shot very low if I forgot to ignore the front sight altogether.
So some custom fitting might be in order, I also have an original red pad that I might put on it while I'm at it.

Return to “Shotguns”