Bend or adjustable comb?

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

SPEEDY

Re: Bend or adjustable comb?

Post by SPEEDY »

I just spoke with the gunsmith and bending is out, so the only option left is the adjustable comb, but the one he showed me wasn't too bad looking.

If I go that option should I go for an adjustable butt plate too or is that unnecessary and over the top?
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Update to add a little covid 19 boredom handy work.

I couldn't bring myself to put an adjustable comb on it, so I ordered a Beretta factory walnut recoil pad and did a little bit of work on it today.
The new pad to be generous with the word was longer in the heel and toe as I wanted to put it on without a black spacer.
This would give it the same LOP as my grandpa's old gun, although a little thicker.
So drill a few 12mm holes in the stock to seat the legs on the back of the pad, then around with with the files.
After that remove, hand fine sand, oil, steel wool until it came up looking pretty damn good.

I'm going to have to buy a shotgun vest with a recoil pad in it now, but it's worth it for the extra class.
15976605743460.jpg
15976606293311.jpg
I made my own adjustment on the left with a spoke shaver while I was scratching the stock anyway, and now my head is still more to the right so I should be lined up dead center now.
It certainly feels very familiar and natural now, if only I could actually get across the border for a shot to test it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chromix

Post by Chromix »

Here is my 2 cents,
got my F3 and F16 bent using vapors, gunsmith was recommended etc..
My f16 crack on the pistol grip at 2 place while drying and was fixed with epoxy,
i was struggling for awhile with my f3 only to see that my wood went back and guns didn't fit anymore
so i sent it for a comb and another gunsmith confirmed that there was a tiny crack on the side caused also with the vapor cast, he fixed my f3 installed the comb and now i know when i miss its because i suck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Yes this way there was nothing to break or spring back, and I didn't have to cut it up and ruin its look by putting the adjustable cheek rest on it.

tasgaz

Post by tasgaz »

My two cents worth, if looking for practicality then go the adjustable stock. Otherwise look at bending to keep aesthetics of the stock.
I have an adjustable stock on a F3 Baroness Super Sport and it suits the gun. Set the stock up to suit when new and never moved it since. Have a F3 Competition that was bent to suit and never touched it or had it move either.
Really up to your personal preference at the end of the day.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm trying it out on Wednesday at the new Albury range, only range this of the border other then the pistol one anyway.

Return to “Shotguns”