What Shotguns Do You Own?

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

thechamp
Administrator

Re: What Shotguns Do You Own?

Post by thechamp »

Some very nice shotguns. I'm down to two, one is a 101 Lighweight in 20 guage with the choke system. It's my bird gun, mostly doves. Had it for over 20 years and will not sell it - ever. It fits and we make a good team.

I've got a Rem 410 Skeet in the 1100 that I'm real fond of. Really a fun gun to shoot.

Looking this year to add one of the nitzy autoloaders to the collection for steel shot and duck hunting. Buddy of mine does a lot of duck hunting and I don't want to use the 20 for them. Thinking the Extrema or the new Winchester SX3. Thinking Bernelli makes a good fast 12 also... Really need to handle them and see what fits and feels good.

skeetshot

Post by skeetshot »

Champ, check out the Beretta Al 391 and the Benelli Vinci. The extrema is an ungainly unbalanced weapon and suitable only for pass shooting at geese and not a lively smooth moving instrument. And leave that Winchester too, the Italians really know how to build a shotgun :)

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

This is my IAC 1887 lever action 12ga (the only repeating action allowed in Australia) It has had Win chokes, recoil pad and a high vis sight fitted.

This is my grandfathers VG Bently SXS 12ga, it's the gun that I leaned to shoot with, I had it restored somewhat but one of the internal hammers broke and I wouldn't mind getting it fully restored when I can find a smith to do it.

I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

skeetshot wrote:Champ, check out the Beretta Al 391 and the Benelli Vinci. The extrema is an ungainly unbalanced weapon and suitable only for pass shooting at geese and not a lively smooth moving instrument. And leave that Winchester too, the Italians really know how to build a shotgun :)

Thanks for the tips. I know there are some good ones but haven't put much time or research into it. What I'd read was it. Will look into them. After having handled the light smooth 101 over the years I can't stand a 'clunker'...

BTW Speedy, did you leave any wabbits for next time? Thats a bunch alright. That's more rabbits than we have on our place and probably a couple of neighbors together! We used to have them and the coyotes have decimated them and the deer.

dinsdale
Meister der jagd

Post by dinsdale »

+1 on the Beretta 391....I have one,great gun,always functions and cycles well in all weather.

Dinsdale

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

thechamp wrote:
BTW Speedy, did you leave any wabbits for next time? Thats a bunch alright. That's more rabbits than we have on our place and probably a couple of neighbors together! We used to have them and the coyotes have decimated them and the deer.

Actually, that was the result of under 2 hours with the ferrets on just one warren, I got a heap more before lunch on a few other Warrens in the same paddock; but then that property has a hell of a lot of Bunnies on it, best of all it was only 5min down the road from where I used to live :D

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

You guys sure make it hard on us Texans that have to hunt on what private land we can find and are governed in dam near every critter we kill! Ya'll seem to have an abundance of just about anything to hunt. The video the other day of the guy shooting the wild bull, that was cool. And it looked like that bull would have cleaned his clock had he not shot it! Looks like a really great country to me.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

skeetshot wrote:Champ, check out the Beretta Al 391 and the Benelli Vinci. The extrema is an ungainly unbalanced weapon and suitable only for pass shooting at geese and not a lively smooth moving instrument. And leave that Winchester too, the Italians really know how to build a shotgun :)

Been looking around and see several different model names under the AL 391.. Is the Optima and Urika the same? This add says Optima, yet the pictures say Urika:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =156350354

This one says it's an Extrema AL391:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =156813188

And another Extrema AL391:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =156936349

Also see a lot of AL391 Teknys...

:? :? :?

505Ed

Post by 505Ed »

Lots of shotguns,

The ones I use
K-gun 80 30" and 34" barrels
grulla royal side lock 20ga/28ga 30" tubes
Browning Centori lighting 20ga 28in tubes
Brno ZH202 12ga 26in tubes
Army Navy sidelock 12ga 29 1/2 tubes

I inherited a few guns from my late uncle, he was a hunter and gun collector par excellence. He was the bad influence with double shotguns and double rifles.
The big ones, look big! (Jack O'connor)

skeetshot

Post by skeetshot »

thechamp wrote:

Been looking around and see several different model names under the AL 391.. Is the Optima and Urika the same? This add says Optima, yet the pictures say Urika:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =156350354

This one says it's an Extrema AL391:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =156813188

And another Extrema AL391:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =156936349

Champ, the Optima refers to the barrel system of Beretta, which is the Optima bore (overbored and therefore good) and with the longer Optima chokes. The Urika is the better balanced model and the Extrema is the heavier model.

Also see a lot of AL391 Teknys...

:? :? :?

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I have to say that if I can get my hands on a MTs 225 in 20ga I will be damn happy, as I understand it we are allowed them but I don't know how much they cost or more importantly who the hells imports them.
Other then that I have my eyes on a new Rossi Circuit Judge in .410, although I would like to see if they bring out a 20ga :twisted: although I might have to get it restocked with some proper Walnut.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Been looking at shotguns and wanted to get ya'lls input on the Benelli Super Black Eagle II. It takes everything from 2 3/4" through 3 1/2" and from what I hear they are holding up really well and no complaints. Any comments, good and or bad appreciated!

OdysseyDK

Post by OdysseyDK »

I own 2 shotguns, and 1 of them is used quite often.

I have a Browning Ultra XSH 12/70 that i use for Skeet, Sporting and Trap shooting.
I use it with Briley Spectrum chokes and i am very pleased with it. I put 10.000 rounds through it last year, and about 4000 already this year.
So far it has given me a silver medal in Olympic Trap, and a bronze medal in Trap this year.
I have used it a bit for hunting too, but i am looking for another Browning for hunting, so this one will be only for sport shooting.

I also own a Remington 1100, which i use for hunting only. Very nice semi, that wont quit on you. Mine is almost 25 years old, and i bought it used.
OdysseyDK

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

OdysseyDK wrote:I own 2 shotguns, and 1 of them is used quite often.

I have a Browning Ultra XSH 12/70 that i use for Skeet, Sporting and Trap shooting.
I use it with Briley Spectrum chokes and i am very pleased with it. I put 10.000 rounds through it last year, and about 4000 already this year.
So far it has given me a silver medal in Olympic Trap, and a bronze medal in Trap this year.
I have used it a bit for hunting too, but i am looking for another Browning for hunting, so this one will be only for sport shooting.

I also own a Remington 1100, which i use for hunting only. Very nice semi, that wont quit on you. Mine is almost 25 years old, and i bought it used.
Impressive, you do some serious shooting! I can relate to the old 1100s. That was what I used when I started shooting skeet. Still have a "skeet" version in 410. One of my favorite guns to play with. Just a fun gun that shoots really well. I did opt for the Benelli SBEII since it's going to be for turkey and occassional duck or geese. Win 101 in 20 for doves and quail.

Aholz

Post by Aholz »

I own three shotguns. It is interesting that on the trap I shoot with my Gold hunter better. At my hunting club I shoot my Beretta 391 better and when some one special is in my sight, i shoot my Beretta 687 better :lol: I am screwed i guess.....

Return to “Shotguns”