1919 Boss Shotguns, PM Chamberlain, UK

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

Dom

1919 Boss Shotguns, PM Chamberlain, UK

Post by Dom »

I was in Waffen Lux gunshop checking on some things I need done, chatting about guns & whatever came up. The fine worker there and owner Herr Lux pulled out an old, square, leather strapped case and started opening it. I believe on the outside was stenciled in the leather the name Andrew Chamberlain. After unstrapping, and then opening the leather box, inside was a red felt lined wooden case, and inside the top lid was an old paper, I couldn't see it that closely, other than I saw it was from London.

Inside this case were two matching, Serial Numbers 1 and 2 in Gold, 12 guage side by sides, manufactured by Boss Guns, London. They were made for and at one time owned by Prime Minister Chamberlain of Great Britian, and are for sale, surely collector stuff, I believe Herr Lux said they will sell for Euro 52,000. He put one together and I checked it out, the stock is very thin and slender, I threw it up in the shoulder a couple times, it would shoot high for me. Straight English stock, very fine forearm. I opened it up and looked inside the barrels, super clean like a mirror.

Interesting what is out there when us common folk happen to be in the right place at the right time ;) Thought I'd share this interesting pair of fine old English Side by Sides, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

After a little research, since I had never heard of Boss, they have been in the gunmaking business since 1812.

http://www.bossguns.co.uk/index1.asp

And an interesting clip, parts of this are in English.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

mchughcb

Re: 1919 Boss Shotguns, PM Chamberlain, UK

Post by mchughcb »

Thats great Dom. Thanks for sharing.

I asked the missus if she wants to buy them. Unfortunately she said we have to buy a bigger house first :doh:

My mate has a set of vierlings owned by the king of sweden and I guess they are about double the price so Chamberlains are a bargain :lol:

skeetshot

Post by skeetshot »

Boss (and Woodward) are still considered extremely desirable over/under shotguns in the Best Gun tradition of England which were generally otherwise side by sides.

Generally made as side lock ejectors with single triggers, their starting prices are generally around $ 100,000.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Magnificent looking shotguns but I think I will stick to my Beretta's this week :D
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

dinsdale
Meister der jagd

Post by dinsdale »

deerhunter338mag wrote:Magnificent looking shotguns but I think I will stick to my Beretta's this week :D

If I make a fancy leather case and stencil my name on it......

Would my Rem 870 be worth alot in the future? :doh:

Guessing not. :D

papabear

Post by papabear »

You are correct about what us "common folks" run into from time to time. I once stopped at a shop in central Texas after a very late lunch. The shopkeeper was there alone. I looked over his rather small stock of offerings and we chatted for a bit. After a few minutes, he made the observation that I appreciated nice guns. He then invited me into the back room where he had about twenty or so rifles lined up on a rack. Starting on one end were Henrys, then 1866 Winchesters, followed by Models 1873, 1876, 1986, and 1892. Many were engraved by Ulrich and other masters of the period. These were not restored guns, but they were all in superb collector /investment grade condition. I knew that the owner bought collections, but I never knew until then, that he was dealing at such a high level. Outside of museums, I have never seen as many collector grade Winchesters in any one place.

Last time I was in his shop, I spied an original Sharps in at least 85-90% original condition on a back table away from the counter. The kind of guns described never go on the racks for all to see. He has an idea who the buyer(s) is/are and sells as private showings to people from all over. Occasionally, he has a nice English best gun to handle and enjoy for a few moments. jack

papabear

Post by papabear »

I forgot to mention that many if not most of the Winchesters were 1 of 1000. jt

Londonhunter

Post by Londonhunter »

If you ask any lodon gun maker what would they have if they were to commission a gun

It will have to be a BOSS

it what we call a "gunmaker's gun"

Action is so well made its like a watch

Even now every component are hand made

Whilst other cheat and contract out to small Speialist firms dotted around England

Return to “Shotguns”