Peregrine Bullets

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Corjack
Administrator

Re: Peregrine Bullets

Post by Corjack »

Loaded up three 9.3x62s 54 grains IMR 3031 3.326 OAL. Neck tension seems adequate with my Redding standard dies. My Blaser barrel is only 52 cm long. If I can get between 2500-2600 fps and accuracy, I will be happy.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

One more night in the stand and deer season is over. Then I can test these.
IMG_3124.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

Corjack wrote:Loaded up three 9.3x62s 54 grains IMR 3031 3.326 OAL. Neck tension seems adequate with my Redding standard dies. My Blaser barrel is only 52 cm long. If I can get between 2500-2600 fps and accuracy, I will be happy.
With the above QL shows 2519fps
at sea level thats:
100yds---2339 fps
200yds---2165
300yds---2000
400yds---1842
500yds---1693

Thanks I saw that and will be making an order.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Corjack wrote:....They do look good. Here are a few pictures comparing them to Nosler, and Barnes TTSX.

What call and weight are these? 9,3 230g vs 250g NAB?

I was chatting with one of their SA guys a while ago and he advised me to try 380g .458's Bushmasters because of OAL length issues :think: If those are the 9,3s I think he may have a point

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote:
Corjack wrote:....They do look good. Here are a few pictures comparing them to Nosler, and Barnes TTSX.

What call and weight are these? 9,3 230g vs 250g NAB?

I was chatting with one of their SA guys a while ago and he advised me to try 380g .458's Bushmasters because of OAL length issues :think: If those are the 9,3s I think he may have a point

Yep 230 grain and 250 grain NAB, TTSX.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

First out the gate 56.6 grains N135 OAL 3.74. Printed ten inches low. That is good, may help with the slugs printing low at 50 yards. Not a great group, but not just horrible.
IMG_3041.JPG

Second was the IMR 3031 55.1 grains OAL 3.74. Made a scope adjustment, again not a great group, but not horrible.
IMG_3042.JPG
Third was 56 grains IMR 3031 OAL 3.81. A hair better, still showing consistent triangles. Made another scope adjustment.
IMG_3043.JPG

Next I went to 56.4 grains IMR 3031, and OAL 3.821. Now we are talking! I probably could of stopped right here, but..........
IMG_3044.JPG

Decided to make another adjustment. 56.6 grains IMR 3031, OAL 3.828. I think I will stop right there for now. Notice as I chase the lands how the group keeps printing left. I was making a CM or two adjustment after firing every group, but it just kept going left.

IMG_3045.JPG

It is a tad windy, so I will leave off for tommorow testing anymore loads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

Did a quick check on QL. Your last load 56.6gr's of imr3031 estimates:

2571fps
47,817psi
92%fill
100% propellant burnt

I'd be interested in what your actuals are.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I will try and strap on the magnetospeed. If it will fit.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Stuffed up three of the VRG-4 hunting type bullets. They under scrutiny look very close, but not exactly. The OAL using the same settings of the die came out 3.83. Hope they shoot halfway close to what the match type shoot.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Well the hunting bullets in the 9.3 did not shoot as good as the solids. I increased the OAL to 3.839, and went up to 56.7 grains IMR3031. They are hovering right at one inch. Good enough actually, but the next time I shoot it, I am going up two tenths to see if that tightens them up a bit.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

For those of you who have been playing with these - do you feel they need crimping in cals like the 9.3? I don't generally do this and don't want to start but if they are small for cal and get loose under recoil, well, maybe I should pass and not try them.... My thought was to give the 250gr Bushmasters a try in my 9,3x62, mostly because playing is fun. My communication with the very friendly folk in RSA included crimping and what seemed a rather stout charge of N130, which I would not have thought to try assuming it was a bit fast.. :think:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

N130 is what Lapua uses in their factory loads for the 222. I discovered this by reverse engineering their factory loads since they shoot so well in my BD14 and R8. The powders are visually the same under a microscope, and produce identical velocities and accuracy when the same charge weight of N130 is substituted for the factory powder. I have not reverse engineered any of the 9.3X74 factory loads but would not be at all surprised to find the same powder. It seems odd to me that they would choose such a fast powder and such a low fill of the available case capacity, but I think they know what they are doing. I've tried N120, N130, N133, and N135 and none of them match the Lapua factory load for accuracy except the exact same charge of N130. Vittavouri does have a listed 9.3X74R load for N130 when using the 193 grain jacked flat point Sellior an Bellot bullet starting at 52.8 grains and max at 56.5 grains.

If you look at the tips and tricks that Peregrine provided, see my thread on their new VLR4 bullet, you will see that they recommend a crimp in any calibers .338 and up. They also claim that any coper fouling left by prior types of copper jacket material will spoil accuracy of their bullets but they don't understand why. So, they recommend cleaning to bare metal using a bore polish paste or blend prior to accuracy testing their bullets. Just thought you might find this interesting.
I've read this kind of claim from other manufacturers especially concerning Nosler jacket material incompatibility with others. However, I haven't found it to be true in my testing. I think you have to have a seriously accurate system to begin with to see these kinds of effects, but I don't know that in this case, Peregrine is not correct.
Robert J Stokes

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Thanks Robert, it was your earlier post that made me register more carefully the off-hand note they sent about crimping. If I do decide to give these a try I don't think I will start with N130. The cleaning advice also seems a bit odd, I guess it is based on observation but it is difficult to understand why the bullets would be so twitchy. Well.... I have the boxes of Naturalis now, I'll start with those once the snow leaves the range.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Any of you fellas had success in the field with these bullets? Or not....... I'm tempted to try the 200gr VLR4 (I think it is) in the 8x68 bbl when it arrives and am also tempted to load up some 250gr VRG3 for the 9.3x74R. I have been using Woodies but need to move over to a lead free option. I have a great load for the 250gr Naturalis and will only need to tweak the regulation a little, so there is no urgent need to try something else. Just curious......
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Return to “Reloading”