Heat Of Explosion

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Corjack
Administrator

Heat Of Explosion

Post by Corjack » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:15 am

Yeasterday tried Varget in my 6x47 Lapua. It out shot the H4350 I had been using for the last two years. Both in speed and accuracy and SDs. I read guys making statements on line about Varget being hard on throats because it has a hotter burn. My question is to dchamp or one of our other members that has a good grasp of Quickload, to do a calculation.

6x47 Lapua

105 Berger Hybrid

38.1 Grains of H4350

34.9 Grains Varget

Give me the FPS 27.5 inch barrel 7.5 twist

And heat of explosion.

I would like to see if there is a scientific reason for the hard on throats statement about Varget I keep reading.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Re: Heat Of Explosion

Post by dchamp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 am

Here you go.
Varget.JPG
H4350.JPG
You should give Hodgdon a call and see what their tech has to say.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:35 am

In the grand scheme of things, do you think the heat is going to make much of a difference? In the comparison of these two loads?

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:11 am

They seem like light loads so you probably will be safe.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:10 pm

Corjack wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:35 am
In the grand scheme of things, do you think the heat is going to make much of a difference? In the comparison of these two loads?
I am not a physicist or engineer so really have no idea about the Heat of Explosion/Potential. But the two show up as less than 10% difference so I wouldn't think it's that big of a deal, but ??? Maybe there is a physicist or engineer in forum who can shed some light on the issue. Meanwhile I'll make a phone call to someone I think might have an explanation.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:01 am

dchamp wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:10 pm
Corjack wrote:
I am not a physicist or engineer so really have no idea about the Heat of Explosion/Potential. But the two show up as less than 10% difference so I wouldn't think it's that big of a deal, but ??? Maybe there is a physicist or engineer in forum who can shed some light on the issue. Meanwhile I'll make a phone call to someone I think might have an explanation.
If you have any physicist friends, ask them about quarks, and leptons. Specifically since there are uptime quarks, and downtime quarks, do leptons exhibit the same characteristics.? IE, if there is an uptime lepton, can it dergrade into a downtime version? Or is a a lepton just a free ocouring positron, that can not bind with anything else?

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:14 am

Corjack wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:01 am
dchamp wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:10 pm
Corjack wrote:
If you have any astrophysicist friends, ask them about blackholes and quarks.
You don't need an astrophysicist - every Blaser owner knows what a black hole is and has a strong personal relationship with the one in his wallet..... Not sure about quarks though. Could have something to do with the incremental difference between the R93 and R8 :think:
/Vaughan

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:49 pm

You quark me up Corjack. As I understand it, a u quark is the lightest of all quarks and the d quark the second lightest of quarks. Two u quarks and one d quarks forms neutrons and one d quark and two u quarks form protrons of atomic nuclei.

From google; Leptons. Leptons and quarks are the basic building blocks of matter, i.e., they are seen as the "elementary particles". There are six leptons in the present structure, the electron, muon, and tau particles and their associated neutrinos.The different varieties of the elementary particles are commonly called "flavors", and the neutrinos here are considered to have distinctly different flavor.
Pick your flavor of choice I guess. :mrgreen: :geek: :mrgreen:

I personally agree with Vaughan's take on Blaser's and Black Holes as a lepton is also 100th of a Drachma in Greek currency and wood be sucked into that black hole faster than a speeding bullet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:29 pm

The common powders used in High Power National Match are Varget, Reloader 15, TAC, and 8208XBR. My experience with these powders says they all require a barrel change around 3,000 rounds if button riffled and around 6,000 rounds if broach cut. That is with about 20 barrels shot out. I can see no difference. But I hear plenty of people with opinions that Varget eats barrels, they just feel that they do.
Robert J Stokes

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:07 pm

stokesrj wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:29 pm
The common powders used in High Power National Match are Varget, Reloader 15, TAC, and 8208XBR. My experience with these powders says they all require a barrel change around 3,000 rounds if button riffled and around 6,000 rounds if broach cut. That is with about 20 barrels shot out. I can see no difference. But I hear plenty of people with opinions that Varget eats barrels, they just feel that they do.
Thank you for some clarity and bringing this thread back down to earth as it was spiraling out of control at a rapid pace. :lol: :lol:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:46 pm

stokesrj wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:29 pm
But that's also match accuracy isn't it, not hunting accuracy, those cooked barrels would all have another 1000-2000 or more rounds left in them for hunting wouldn't they?
Although I'm guessing this will be a match barrel so it's probably irrelevant, but if it's a quick change barrel it would still have a long hunting life after its retired from competition.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:51 pm

Well yes and no. They would still shoot 1 MOA at 200 yards but at 600 they wouldn’t hold the X ring any longer and no one wanted to take a chance they would loose their ability to hold the ten ring 2 MOA.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Reloading”