Old OHaus Powder Scale

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

9.3x64
Meister der jagd
kuchnie na wymiar kraków nowoczesnekuchnie

Old OHaus Powder Scale

Post by 9.3x64 »

Hi all,
This afternoon I met a lovely old bloke who dragged something out of his garage to have a look at (After he found out I was a shooter), anyway I bought the thing for next to nothing.I don’t know why I bought it, I just had a gut feeling that I should. I was thinking of using it as a bit of gunroom memorabilia. I don’t really know much about it, other than it is in absolutely fantastic condition, and that it is very old... I think?

Obviously it is a powder scale, it has a lovely “well made” American old school feel about it. It has a perfect Bakelite cover lid and cast iron base.
To me it is just cool. I just want to have a beer and look at it.

Can anyone tell me how old is?
Is it useful, or a lovely ornament?
Who is OHaus?

Thanks in advance, Allan.

Oh and he also gave me an old OHaus vernier caliber that was purchased originally with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Re: Old OHaus Powder Scale

Post by deerhunter338mag »

That is super cool, I think I have a set of their scales which are broken, but im just keeping them as they had been given to me by a guy thats passed away now. I believe they are in Port Melbourne and its might be a good idea to just email them and ask the question.

https://us.ohaus.com/en-OC/Contact-Us/General-Inquiry
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Thanks mate, that’s what I thought too.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Ohaus made most of RCBSs scales back in the day so I’d be interested to know when they stopped selling their own.
An old set of beam scales are always handy to have

Surgeon1

Post by Surgeon1 »

It's at least 40 years old. I bought one new when I was in college in 1974

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Surgeon1 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:28 am
It's at least 40 years old. I bought one new when I was in college in 1974
Thanks Surgeon, do you remember if they were exactly the same, as in same colour etc?
I have seen some similar ones with clear covers and different colours etc that appear to look like later versions.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

I have a very similar one in terms of the beam, weights and pivots. At least 45 years old and maybe made by Ohaus.

It is still my only powder weighing device, and for my usual small batches it is fine. Well cared for and still lives in the original foam tray and carton.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Ohaus was a premier scale manufacturer both under their own name and others such as RCBS. This one is what became the RCBS 1010 scale and is very accurate. I have the lesser model 501 which I had a precision calibration performed on which cost about 10X the price of the scale but it is accurate to 1/10,000th of a grain but is only indexed at 1/1000 grain. You made a great find.
Robert J Stokes

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

stokesrj wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:42 am
Ohaus was a premier scale manufacturer both under their own name and others such as RCBS. This one is what became the RCBS 1010 scale and is very accurate. I have the lesser model 501 which I had a precision calibration performed on which cost about 10X the price of the scale but it is accurate to 1/10,000th of a grain but is only indexed at 1/1000 grain. You made a great find.
It is easy to forget just how damn accurate old-school technology was :clap:
/Vaughan

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

stokesrj wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:42 am
Thanks Bob, very interesting.

Return to “Reloading”