170g SST in the 8x57

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Re: 170g SST in the 8x57

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

My main criteria here is the absence of an exit wound and retention of the bullet shank in the deer. Accubonds tend to exit on principle which is great for sambar in the high country but dangerous for rusa in a horse paddock.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I am thinking, and that can be dangerous. I may chop my 8x57 barrel to 16.5 inches. Be a bit handier with the suppresser. A more frangible bullet may be required because of the reduced velocity. May need to try a box of the 170 grain SSTs.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Gun Barrel Ecologist

image.jpg
image.jpg
Tested the load earlier this week, three deer recovered, no dogs required. Broadside exited, frontal and quartering onwards were retained (the latter was easily found and is pictured).

I’ll weigh it next time I have the chargemaster switched on but it certainly pealed back past the canulure almost to where the boat tail begins
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Looks like what you have chosen is doing the job in the manner you need :)

Retained weight can be interesting, but not necessarily of vital importance. I recovered a 160g 7mm Partition from a sambar spiker recently.

Retained weight only 60% BUT entered through nearside shoulder. Shoulder absolutely stuffed - didn't even bother with a dissection.
Proceeded to create at least a 2inch entrance hole in the ribs. Through lungs. Smaller exit hole in offset ribs- maybe 1.5 inches.
Then smashed the offside ball joint, passed through the rest of the offside shoulder and pulled up hard under the thick hide.

I wasn't concerned about the loss of weight :lol:

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Updating this as I’ve actually got around to weighing the bullet above
26FC5A52-B795-43E1-8ABF-327BB05C5584.jpeg
57.4% weight retention at just over 100m
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Btw pretty sure that’s at 2850fps
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15732

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Hi GBE. Just wanted to revive this thread to see if you had any updated thoughts on the 8mm SST? Im finding it very difficult to get accurate info on this bullet. Would appreciate your thoughs now that you would have more experience with it.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Sorry to say that I’ve probably only shot another 3 or 4 rusa with it and then switched to a .308 because of a factory round only rule where I’m currently shooting.
Do I want to go back to the 8mm? Yes indeed!
Would I point the SST at anything bigger than a red :think: probably not. I still have a few boxes of 200g Nosler Accubonds on the shelf that need to be loaded up and pointed at either sambar or sitatunga- preferably both!- but at this stage I can’t even get them to a concrete bench.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:28 pm Sorry to say that I’ve probably only shot another 3 or 4 rusa with it and then switched to a .308 because of a factory round only rule where I’m currently shooting.
Do I want to go back to the 8mm? Yes indeed!
Would I point the SST at anything bigger than a red :think: probably not. I still have a few boxes of 200g Nosler Accubonds on the shelf that need to be loaded up and pointed at either sambar or sitatunga- preferably both!- but at this stage I can’t even get them to a concrete bench.
Thanks mate

Good luck on the big two elusive "S"s. Please give us an update on the Accubond. I am really trying to find a reliable report on them. I have had great results with 180gn ABs in a 300 mag, but when it comes to the 8mm AB, some people tell me they are great, and others that say they are too hard to expand. I looked for several years and finally manged to find a box of 8mm ABs at the beginning of the year, so I might have to go load up a few and see how they go.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

I’d say it’s all relative to what you load them in and what you point them at. I’d say the Accubond would be a guaranteed exit on a rusa just because of what I’ve seen them do in other calibres. I’ve also got boxes of 200 & 220g PPs for another 8mm project that has been put on the back burner by range closures. They’ll get used in Victoria eventually.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Yes, the 200gn Woddleigh PPs shoot very well in my sons 325WSM. I could use the Woodleighs for a lot of stuff, but I would like a better BC and hence the reason for wanting more info on the AB. I have also had great success with the AB in 30 cal with one shot kills out to almost 500 meters. If I can get that terminal performance with the 8mm AB, I will be stoked.

escard

Post by escard »

I used the 170 SST two years ago with great hunting success.

Using a heavy dose of CFE-223, Geco-brass, Rem 9,5m primers, COAL loaded to the crimping groove, crimped with LEE factory crimp, that load was tested more than once at the range to proof the exceptionally fine match-grade accuracy (as well as the lightning-fast muzzle-speed :o ...).

escard

Return to “Reloading”