7mm Blaser mag

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Dickie
kuchnie na wymiar kraków nowoczesnekuchnie

Re: 7mm Blaser mag

Post by Dickie »

Any idea what the Barnes Lrx in 145 would be like and a starting load?
I've read good reports of them.
Cheers

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Post by KZ45 »

Dickie wrote:Any idea what the Barnes Lrx in 145 would be like and a starting load?
I've read good reports of them.
Cheers
What powders are you considering, or have access to?

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

I have Rl 19 or 22 to hand but will try anything I can get in the UK

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Post by KZ45 »

It appears that the case capacity of the 7mm Blaser Magnum is in between the 7X64 Brenneke and the 7mm Remington Magnum.

8.5% less than 7mm Remington Magnum.
9.5% more than 7X64 Brenneke

Barnes Load Data has the starting load for 7mm Rem Mag with the 145 LRX as 56.9 grains of RL22. If you take 8.5% off of that, you get about 52.1 grains. That might be a starting place. Do you own DD before trying it though.
Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 3.26.25 PM.png
The asterisk stands for recommended powder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

That seems a scary way to work a powder weight.

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

GBE
Apologies for not replying earlier I had a look but don't do German so stumped as there doesn't appear to be a translation.
Cheers

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Dickie wrote:That seems a scary way to work a powder weight.
No.

I have no experience with Barnes, but I'd be pretty sure that 52g of RL22 in the smaller 7x64 case would be a very mild load with a 145.

As been said do your own DD - IE we are not responsible for your decisions. How hard can it be ??

Perhaps just sell your wife and children and buy factory ammo if you're not confident about handloading ? :lol:

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Secondtry
The wife left me after we buried our child thanks.
I Was after some assistance due to work and life commitment taking up time and wrongly assumed there might be someone out there could help on a Blaser site.
I have had some luck though.
140 ttsx and 65grn of N160 which I believe is a little faster than Rl 19 but slower than Rl 22

Cheers

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Dickie,the factory ammo suggestion was serious, despite the emoticon.

The suggestions that you have had here have all been conservative and sensible, and I would be happy to start with them BUT NOT BLINDLY.

I'm not sure how something can be faster than RL19, but slower than RL22. I have no experience with the N powders, perhaps thats a typo.

Assuming that N160 is between 19 and 22, why would you be attracted to 65g of it with a 140 when you are concerned about KZ45s suggestion to start with 52g of 22 with a 145. ?? How can 14 grains more of a faster powder with a very similar projectile put you at ease ? It just doesn't add up.

If you are simply looking for a recipe that you can load and shoot without any workup, you will not maximize the potential of the components, although you may get close. You are also far more likely to run into pressure issues than you are by following the advice that you have received here.

At least with factory ammo you should be able to have more confidence in the outcome. And factory ammo is better than it has ever been.

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Secondtry
I have only reloaded using manufacturers reloading books which give you starting and max loads.
I can't find any of the above for the 7mm BM and was wondering if by using this site if anyone out there had such information.
I got the rates from a burn rate chart which I may have interpreted wrong but N160 was between Rl19 and Rl22.
Now to really confuse me if you look at the 7mm RM 120 nosler it has a start at 62 - 66 max for N160 and 67 - 71 for Rl 22 and 66 - 70 for Rl 19 but the 140 nosler is 61.5 - 65.5 N160 and Rl 19 but 63.5 - 67.5 for Rl 22.
I apologise for not having others level of expertise and as they say every day's a school day.

escard

Post by escard »

KZ45 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:39 pm
It appears that the case capacity of the 7mm Blaser Magnum is in between the 7X64 Brenneke and the 7mm Remington Magnum.

Barnes Load Data has the starting load for 7mm Rem Mag with the 145 LRX as 56.9 grains of RL22. If you take 8.5% off of that, you get about 52.1 grains. That might be a starting place. Do you own DD before trying it though.
in fact, the 7mmBM has a tad MORE case-volume than the 7mm RemMag! :o :idea:

It has also more case-volume compared to the 7mm WSM. I made those measurings by myself (7mmRemMag with Remington brass, 7mm WSM with Winchester brass), so it seems to me very mysterious how you got your own measurings "8,5% less than 7mm RemMag" ?

For doing my own reloads in 7-BM I always use maximum load data (Nosler RelMan) for the RemMag as a 1:1 STARTING POINT while reloading my 7-BM. It shoots extremely accurate while doing so. By the way: one of my best loads uses some grains (!) more than the max-load of that bullet in the 7mm RemMag with IMR-7828-ssc (this is my absolute favorite powder for the 7-BM with 160/175 grs, next-best is Norma-MRP).

the right COAL is the real key to accurate performancewith the 7-BM, you have to be alert not to load it with a too long COAL. Most of my loadings are about 0,2 to 0,4 mm off lands.

:-) skb

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Post by KZ45 »

escard wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:44 am
KZ45 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:39 pm

in fact, the 7mmBM has a tad MORE case-volume than the 7mm RemMag! :o :idea:

It has also more case-volume compared to the 7mm WSM. I made those measurings by myself (7mmRemMag with Remington brass, 7mm WSM with Winchester brass), so it seems to me very mysterious how you got your own measurings "8,5% less than 7mm RemMag" ?

For doing my own reloads in 7-BM I always use maximum load data (Nosler RelMan) for the RemMag as a 1:1 STARTING POINT while reloading my 7-BM. It shoots extremely accurate while doing so. By the way: one of my best loads uses some grains (!) more than the max-load of that bullet in the 7mm RemMag with IMR-7828-ssc (this is my absolute favorite powder for the 7-BM with 160/175 grs, next-best is Norma-MRP).

the right COAL is the real key to accurate performancewith the 7-BM, you have to be alert not to load it with a too long COAL. Most of my loadings are about 0,2 to 0,4 mm off lands.

:-) skb
You are right. I was wrong about 7mmBM case capacity when I posted this in 2016. I’ve been aware of it for some time now. Thanks for letting folks know the facts.

kz

escard

Post by escard »

my special tip - using at your own risk:

160 Speer BTSP,
68,0 grs IMR-7828ssc,
Rem 9,5M primer, Norma-brass,
COAl 3.10 inches

fast & furious load, case extraction without problems,
extremely accurate out of my R93!

PS:
also got very fine results while experimenting with the 177 RWS-ID (formerly TIG-bullet).

Return to “Reloading”