Woodleigh 30 Cal 220gr RN SN

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

O4ak95

Re: Woodleigh 30 Cal 220gr RN SN

Post by O4ak95 »

Hell that's a fat stag! Good shooting. What would it dress out at ?

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

No idea but those drum sticks were darn heavy.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Another Woodleigh customer :dance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Well another hind down and this was a very good test for the Woodleigh. I was out with another blaserbud and our walking had disturbed the hind near where I shot the stag last week. We came back 15 minutes later and the hind re-appeared over the fence and I had a 155m shot off a fence post. The deer took off and another jumped up and we waited 30 minutes then I went to the strike point. Finding nothing and the darkness and fog setting in we went back to grab some torches I found a blood drop and then for the next 2 1/2 hours we played detectives for 100m, sometimes down on the hands and knees to find any blood. Running marks were there but it was confusing with so many deer in the area. Finally after 100m we decided where the deer had probably jumped the fence. Pushing our way through blackberries and leaches I found blood splattered ferns and finally found the hind with its head caught in the fork of a tree. The bullet had gone high mid lung and exited out the rear liver. I was happy with the penetration for such a quartering shot at that distance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

Well done on the find Chuck :clap: , fair play for sticking with it mate. You'll have to buy a second freezer soon :D

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Thank Chalky. It was one of the harder blood tracks I've done. I should have had my dachshunds with me but they are hunting tomorrow so I'm saving them. On the open area its okay because you can see running marks. When they get onto a track its hard to see marks but blood is a bit clearer. When they are the thick stuff like where it died, you can't see any marks but you can see broken ferns and blood on them as they brush against its flanks. We just had to be methodical and not give up. It dropped to -3 last night so by the time I took the meat back to the car there was ice on it.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Anybody tried them 220gn Woodleighs in a 308win?
I'm just wondering what the velocity would be and if they would open up at 308win velocity's.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Good question. I think at short ranges you might be ok.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Depends on what you call short, 50m would be fine but at 100m who knows, it would be an interesting test.

Apparently you can launch them at 2200-2400fps, they loaded the 30/40 with 220gn pills so I guess it's a plausible option.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Woodleigh recommends an impact velocity of 2000-2400 FPS. From a standard 23" barrel you should be able to achieve 2375 fps with the bullet which would see you to 130 yards before dropping below 2,000 fps.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That would make it effectively a 30/30 with some balls in the scrub. I haven't shot many deer or pigs past 100m anyway, most under 50m especially in thick country.

I might load a few up and give them a go someday.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

mchughcb wrote:Well another hind down and this was a very good test for the Woodleigh. I was out with another blaserbud and our walking had disturbed the hind near where I shot the stag last week. We came back 15 minutes later and the hind re-appeared over the fence and I had a 155m shot off a fence post. The deer took off and another jumped up and we waited 30 minutes then I went to the strike point. Finding nothing and the darkness and fog setting in we went back to grab some torches I found a blood drop and then for the next 2 1/2 hours we played detectives for 100m, sometimes down on the hands and knees to find any blood. Running marks were there but it was confusing with so many deer in the area. Finally after 100m we decided where the deer had probably jumped the fence. Pushing our way through blackberries and leaches I found blood splattered ferns and finally found the hind with its head caught in the fork of a tree. The bullet had gone high mid lung and exited out the rear liver. I was happy with the penetration for such a quartering shot at that distance.
Well found. :D :D

How typical this story is of Sambar hunting. Shows very clearly how so many dead sambar can be "lost", even when they don't go far, let alone when they make 200/300 yards.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

A blaserbud shot a sambar hind with a 458 Win Mag in the forward chest a few weeks ago and it was tracked with dogs for another few hundred metres and required a finisher. The moral of the story is, use the 220g woodleighs :lol:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

stokesrj wrote:Woodleigh recommends an impact velocity of 2000-2400 FPS. From a standard 23" barrel you should be able to achieve 2375 fps with the bullet which would see you to 130 yards before dropping below 2,000 fps.
Depends on temperature and pressure but hornady calculator says closer to 175 yards which is okay.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

mchughcb wrote:A blaserbud shot a sambar hind with a 458 Win Mag in the forward chest a few weeks ago and it was tracked with dogs for another few hundred metres and required a finisher. The moral of the story is, use the 220g woodleighs :lol:
You can drop them on the spot with 130g SSTs from a .270, it's just that putting the bullet in the right spot is the tricky bit :D

Return to “Reloading”