7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

secondtry
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1240
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: Victoria Australia

Re: 7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

Post by secondtry » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:35 am

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote::o :shock:

Out of curiosity I just looked up the max loads listed in the Woodleigh manual for the 160g PP in the 7x65R:
2209: 49g for 2600
2213SC: 53g for 2585

60g you say :think: :lol:
I started with 54g 2213 in the K95. I regarded that as being very conservative, and velocity and pressure confirmed my thoughts.

With 49g 2209 and a 156 Oryx in my 7x65 BBF , velocity is 2370, and pressure barely seals the case.

I am aiming for around 2600 with the BBF and maybe I'll get it at 52/53g. Hopefully enough pressure will be generated at those levels to give me Blaser accuracy. This one has a different purpose to the K95, not to mention a different locking system, and I have no desire to hot rod it, but 2370 ? Seriously ?

I have been a bit slack with the BBF but hopefully will get back to it next week if the weather is good.

I don't know if some of these loads are simply theorised, or if they are thrown up with clapped out, rattly, non Jager block break actions in mind.



User avatar
Gun Barrel Ecologist
Moderator
Posts: 4770
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Queensland Australia

Re: 7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:02 am

secondtry wrote:.

...I don't know if some of these loads are simply theorised, or if they are thrown up with clapped out, rattly, non Jager block break actions in mind.
I went through the same thing trying to develop a 2400+ fps load for 175g RNs in the 7x57R using ADI data - the recommended thinking is to take loads suitable for 1895 Mausers and reduce by 10% :doh: :lol:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd
Posts: 2700
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

Post by 9.3x64 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:22 am

Has anyone had any experience with RL19 in the 7x64?
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd
Posts: 2700
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

Post by 9.3x64 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:05 am

secondtry wrote:
Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote::o :shock:

Out of curiosity I just looked up the max loads listed in the Woodleigh manual for the 160g PP in the 7x65R:
2209: 49g for 2600
2213SC: 53g for 2585

60g you say :think: :lol:
I started with 54g 2213 in the K95. I regarded that as being very conservative, and velocity and pressure confirmed my thoughts.

With 49g 2209 and a 156 Oryx in my 7x65 BBF , velocity is 2370, and pressure barely seals the case.

I am aiming for around 2600 with the BBF and maybe I'll get it at 52/53g. Hopefully enough pressure will be generated at those levels to give me Blaser accuracy. This one has a different purpose to the K95, not to mention a different locking system, and I have no desire to hot rod it, but 2370 ? Seriously ?

I have been a bit slack with the BBF but hopefully will get back to it next week if the weather is good.

I don't know if some of these loads are simply theorised, or if they are thrown up with clapped out, rattly, non Jager block break actions in mind.
Hi mate,
Just curious if you or anybody else has done anymore testing with 2213 in the 7x64 / 7x65R?
Thankyou Allan
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Blasernovice
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:40 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: 7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

Post by Blasernovice » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:10 am

I've just done some with my K95 in 7x65R. Norma brass, federal large rifle primer. A 162 amax seated to 87mm overall length. 57.5gr 2213sc gave 2743 fps with a 60cm barrel. Primers still looked nice and rounded on the edges.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd
Posts: 2700
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

Post by 9.3x64 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:45 am

Blasernovice wrote:I've just done some with my K95 in 7x65R. Norma brass, federal large rifle primer. A 162 amax seated to 87mm overall length. 57.5gr 2213sc gave 2743 fps with a 60cm barrel. Primers still looked nice and rounded on the edges.
That's a very useful load.
I suspect AR2217 would be worth trying in the 7x64 / 7x65R.
Would love to hear fron anyone that has used 2213 or 2217 with 175 grain projectiles?
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Blasernovice
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:40 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: 7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

Post by Blasernovice » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:10 am

Not sure I you would get enough in. 57.5gr was getting pretty close to a compressed load.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd
Posts: 2700
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

Post by 9.3x64 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:38 am

Blasernovice wrote:Not sure I you would get enough in. 57.5gr was getting pretty close to a compressed load.
Yeah I think you are right.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd
Posts: 2700
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

Post by 9.3x64 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:43 am

9.3x64 wrote:
Blasernovice wrote:Not sure I you would get enough in. 57.5gr was getting pretty close to a compressed load.
Yeah I think you are right.
Though you might in a K95 as I suspect you could increase you COL considerably.
By memory my R8 chamber allows a maximum of 90mm still with 7mm of bullet seated in the neck.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

secondtry
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1240
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: Victoria Australia

Re: 7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

Post by secondtry » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:11 am

9.3x64 wrote:
9.3x64 wrote:
Blasernovice wrote:Not sure I you would get enough in. 57.5gr was getting pretty close to a compressed load.
Yeah I think you are right.
Though you might in a K95 as I suspect you could increase you COL considerably.
By memory my R8 chamber allows a maximum of 90mm still with 7mm of bullet seated in the neck.
The problem with bullets like the 162 AMax/ELDM and the 168 LRAB is not so much having room to seat them out, as the fact that have a very long boat tail. Even with less than one calibre of the parallel shank in the case neck, that long boat tail hangs way down and eats up much more powder room than a flat base.

User avatar
Gun Barrel Ecologist
Moderator
Posts: 4770
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Queensland Australia

Re: 7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:27 am

So has anyone tried 2217 with anything heavier than 160g?

secondtry
Meister der jagd
Posts: 1240
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: Victoria Australia

Re: 7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

Post by secondtry » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:40 pm

9.3x64 wrote: Hi mate,
Just curious if you or anybody else has done anymore testing with 2213 in the 7x64 / 7x65R?
Thankyou Allan
Short answer is not a lot.

I changed from the 160 North Fork to the 160 Partition, but wasn't able to significantly increase my 2213sc charge weight.

I am getting over 2800 with 59g of 2213sc. My notes don't mention compression, but this would be very close to 100% load density - maybe very, very slightly compressed. If I increase the charge, accuracy deteriorates. This load is just on 1" for three, which, to me is not up Blaser standards, but is certainly good enough. The old load shot slightly smaller groups (much smaller when pushed to the ragged edge).

I plan to seat the 160 out a bit further (currently 3.47LOA) and try bumping up the charge a little. I have been lacking motivation to do this, because it is all working so well as is.

I view 160s in 06 size and larger 7mm cases as being a classic big game weight, and I have certainly never needed more penetration on sambar. OTH the longer, heavier 175s seem to align more closely with Euro thinking.

I wouldn't bother with 2217 and 160s unless I had 2217 in the cupboard. If I wanted to try 175s, I would definitely give 2217 a run, but only after I had tried 2213 - because I have 2213, but not 2217 :lol: .

I am having a play with 168 LRAB and RL22 in the 7x65 K95. I picked up the bits on a whim, remembering that when I was researching 280Rem, the keen people who were right into 280 seemed to agree that RL22 was the one for speed. Early days yet, but I think case capacity may be a limiter with that projectile. RL22 is bulkier than 2213sc and I'm sure would be even more so when compared to 2217. I need to shoot some groups, but I don't seem to have much room to chase it up. At this stage, I am hoping for around 2800 and well under 1" for 3, but the jump is going to be awfully long, so who knows ?

If it doesn't work I might try RL22 with the 160s, but as I said, when it is all working so well, the motivation to experiment is not strong. :D

9.3x64
Meister der jagd
Posts: 2700
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 7x64 173 Grain ADI Loads

Post by 9.3x64 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:00 pm

secondtry wrote:
9.3x64 wrote: Hi mate,
Just curious if you or anybody else has done anymore testing with 2213 in the 7x64 / 7x65R?
Thankyou Allan
Short answer is not a lot.

I changed from the 160 North Fork to the 160 Partition, but wasn't able to significantly increase my 2213sc charge weight.

I am getting over 2800 with 59g of 2213sc. My notes don't mention compression, but this would be very close to 100% load density - maybe very, very slightly compressed. If I increase the charge, accuracy deteriorates. This load is just on 1" for three, which, to me is not up Blaser standards, but is certainly good enough. The old load shot slightly smaller groups (much smaller when pushed to the ragged edge).

I plan to seat the 160 out a bit further (currently 3.47LOA) and try bumping up the charge a little. I have been lacking motivation to do this, because it is all working so well as is.

I view 160s in 06 size and larger 7mm cases as being a classic big game weight, and I have certainly never needed more penetration on sambar. OTH the longer, heavier 175s seem to align more closely with Euro thinking.

I wouldn't bother with 2217 and 160s unless I had 2217 in the cupboard. If I wanted to try 175s, I would definitely give 2217 a run, but only after I had tried 2213 - because I have 2213, but not 2217 :lol: .

I am having a play with 168 LRAB and RL22 in the 7x65 K95. I picked up the bits on a whim, remembering that when I was researching 280Rem, the keen people who were right into 280 seemed to agree that RL22 was the one for speed. Early days yet, but I think case capacity may be a limiter with that projectile. RL22 is bulkier than 2213sc and I'm sure would be even more so when compared to 2217. I need to shoot some groups, but I don't seem to have much room to chase it up. At this stage, I am hoping for around 2800 and well under 1" for 3, but the jump is going to be awfully long, so who knows ?

If it doesn't work I might try RL22 with the 160s, but as I said, when it is all working so well, the motivation to experiment is not strong. :D
Thanks for the reply, please keep me posted on any 7x64 loads that show promise.
I have had a lot of success with RL19 and the 175's.
Might be worth a try with 160's.
Allan
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Post Reply

Return to “Reloading”